Search Unity

Tutorial deprecation FAQs - June 3rd 2021

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by GregoryLane, May 27, 2021.

1. GregoryLane

GregoryLane

Hi Learners!

As you may know, the bulk of the content on the Learn platform is developed internally by Unity, but there are some pieces of content that are provided by independent creators and studios. The Learn platform itself is frequently updating, adding, and removing pieces of content to ensure there is a good mix of content to cover all subjects related to development.

On June 3rd, 2021, we will be deprecating the content developed by our partners at Pluralsight. You can find a full list of impacted courses listed below. You have until then to finish any open courses, or start something new!

When these courses come down, you’ll keep any XP for any tutorials you have already completed. Some of these tutorials appear in our Junior Programmer pathway, and we will be replacing it with updated content.

Thanks so much for learning with us. We can’t wait to show you what we’ll be working on next!

-The Unity Learn Team

FAQs

Why is this content going away?

• The bulk of the content on the Learn platform is developed internally by Unity, but there are some pieces of content that are provided by independent creators and studios. The Learn platform itself is frequently updating, adding, and removing pieces of content to ensure there is a good mix of content to cover all subjects related to development.

Which courses and tutorials are being deprecated?

What happens to the XP I’ve earned for completing these courses?

• Don’t worry, you’ll keep your XP for any tutorials you have already completed!

I’m working through the Junior Programmer pathway, and notice that some of this content is featured there. What can I expect to change?

• If you are partway through this pathway or the content in general, we’re sorry that your experience will be interrupted. The replacement content is a little different, but you’ll still achieve the same objectives.

2. mgear

mgear

are there replacement tutorials for those that got removed?

otherwise it sounds like a bad idea.. many of those courses would be still relevant even with the newew Unity versions..

GrapePaste and DevViktoria like this.
  3. Entikai

Entikai

Deprecating the only good courses on Learn? Please don't! I find them extremely useful.

Why not just put them into some kind of "Legacy Archive" bucket. That way, everyone will know that these are old, but people who find them useful can still access them.

For example "C# Scripting in Unity: The Observer Pattern" is universal and will always be useful to anyone who is interested in implementing the Observer pattern in Unity.

Don't delete, just archive. Let us still use this.

4. SMHall

SMHall

Archival is preferable to removal, certainly. Or is this some kind of licensing issue? Expired deal?

5. Thoroi

Thoroi

Is there a expected date for when the replacement content will be up? Part 3 of this pathway, Junior Programmer: Manage scene flow and data, feels really empty now.
    (I was all excited to start "C# Scripting in Unity: The Observer Pattern" as well...)

AcidManX, kwaka88 and DevViktoria like this.
  6. angel_luis

angel_luis

Thank you for destroy the Junior Programmer pathway.

"The replacement content is a little different, but you’ll still achieve the same objectives."

Yeah, if your objective is to learn nothing.

milieu-zero likes this.
  7. Sundiray

Sundiray

Good move. Most of the depricated 3rd party tutorials were extremely bad and certainly not on par with the newer stuff unity has put out. The swords and shovels series really had to go

8. DevViktoria

DevViktoria

These were really great courses, there are some ideas that are still relevant, because it is so general it can be used in any unity version. (Like the game prop modelling fundamentals, the UI courses.) And actually can we have a replacement list of learning material for these? Because that would be really helpful.

9. Vasudev_8

Vasudev_8

Now it has been my only regret in life for not completing those courses in time.
    Those courses from Pluralsight looked really promising :(
    Probably ill take this as a lesson and move on.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

You are a little too severe there; these courses had good things and other that were less good and even no longer worked but they weren't overall bad! They were also old, too old for the new things that are coming to Unity.

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

@GregoryLane By the way, I joined a group in Learn and I cannot find how to quit that group; could you tell me how I can do that? Thanks.

12. Sundiray

Sundiray

I can't speak for the art and design courses but the programming part. I am currently looking through their replacement and their new approach is much better even though its mostly not in video format. The instructors of the old courses were objectively bad, the content outdated, the presented architectural approaches too rudimentary and/or messy.

Now one massive improvement would be to be able to see the full tree on the left side. Especially for everyone who comes back to the pathway and all their "Resume Pathway" buttons now lead to dead ends.

13. GregoryLane

GregoryLane

We agree that this is useful content to know along your learning journey. The Events tutorial (https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/events-uh) covers information about the events and subscribers of the observer pattern. This tutorial may be what you’re looking for, as it features video and code samples!

14. GregoryLane

GregoryLane

Whenever possible, we do try to label outdated content with the [Archived] tag. (See the original Bolt tutorials as an example - https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/bolt-videos-archived) When a tutorial is fully owned by Unity, we agree that archival is the best option where possible.

15. GregoryLane

GregoryLane

Thanks for your patience! We’ll be rolling out a fix this week that redirects to the new content. I’ll post in this thread when the change has taken place.

16. GregoryLane

GregoryLane

You may still be encountering the old Junior Programmer pathway. To see the change that will be rolled out soon, visit the site with an incognito browser (https://learn.unity.com/mission/programming-systems-and-architecture). This continent will be available to all learners soon. I’ll leave a post in this thread when it’s available.

17. GregoryLane

GregoryLane

You may like our High Fidelity Game Visuals project (https://learn.unity.com/project/high-fidelity-game-visuals-introduction). It covers a modeler’s approach to character and environment modeling.

For UI, we have a number of tutorials to get you started, and you can find them in the Introduction to UI in Unity project here: https://learn.unity.com/project/introduction-to-ui-in-unity

DevViktoria likes this.
  18. GregoryLane

GregoryLane

There are over 750 hours of content on the Learn platform - it’s likely we have something that you’d otherwise be missing. I’d be happy to provide a recommendation if you’d like!

19. GregoryLane

GregoryLane

Yes! We’ve replaced the Pluralsight content that was previously on the Junior Programmer pathway with a dozen new tutorials.

20. angel_luis

angel_luis

I was in the middle of the old path and I was learning advanced programming (not intermediate): the Observer Pattern, the creation of an Inventory System, Saving Persistent Data... Stuff that for me is really interesting because in general the rest of the path have a low level.

At this moment, I don't know what I've to do. Have I to start from the Mission 0? Have I to wait to more content? I'm stucked to be honest. It's frustrating to have a 3 month-long path and suddenly don't know where are you and see that I've lost interesting topics.

Obviously I want updated content but interesting things like the C# Survival Guide now are out of Unity Learn. And maybe I'm very demanding but to learn something in the platform it's like looking for food in the jungle instead of Amazon.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  21. Deleted User

Deleted User

That part is very clunky and hardly works. Do not have regrets about that, you'll find other tutorials elsewhere if not here. ;)

Saving persistent date is another thing; you can also find tutorials on the web and I think there is stuff about that here too.

As for the observer pattern, you can find tutorials on the web too, this one for example: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=c#+unity+Observer+Pattern&t=lm&ia=web, or this one: https://onewheelstudio.com/blog/2020/7/24/observer-pattern-c-events

angel_luis likes this.
  22. GregoryLane

GregoryLane

Tinuvia, angel_luis and Deleted User like this.
  23. angel_luis

angel_luis

At first I was a little upset because it was a big break in my pathway but I'll restart the pathway almost at the start and I'll take this like a new opportunity to learn better.

24. DevViktoria

DevViktoria

25. GrapePaste

GrapePaste

Did you replace the Pluralsight Maya animation courses too?

26. krzysiuniek7

krzysiuniek7

@GregoryLane i just finished Junior programmer pathway,i dont know what step further i can take, what should i do next? any recommendations?

27. GregoryLane

GregoryLane

You got it!

If you liked the portfolio building parts of the course, you may want to try out "Design and Publish Your Original Game: Unity USC Games Unlocked". This course is less step-by-step tutorial, but it's more of a framework to help you build your own game during the length of the course.
    https://learn.unity.com/course/design-and-publish-your-original-game-unity-usc-games-unlocked

If you want to dive more into the programming end of things, the "Beginner Scripting" course would be a good bet. It features the new input system, and cover a whole slew of programming topics in bit-size lessons.
    https://learn.unity.com/course/beginner-scripting

angel_luis likes this.
  28. Muhammad_Sannan

Muhammad_Sannan

Is there any chance that unity will put the courses back on the unity learn website..... if now then all I can do is to pray...

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

Nope, they wouldn't do that, remove them and put them back afterwards. Would make them look funny... :)

30. yodda

yodda

The content became more shallow with a lower level of entry .
    game dev people will not look into the fundamentals
    and high-quality material is missing.

31. yodda

yodda

scriptable objects
    building a grid
    using the profiler and the debugger
    Asset bundles
    spawning and prefabs with networking
    these are the things I'm interested in.
    where can i find it in your new format?

32. vjcuba

vjcuba

Considering how awful and superexpensive is the education nowadays and the fact that you guys make it cool and free, I only can tell you THANK YOU.
    Still, I would need to know when do you think the Junior Programmer pathway will be fixed. I was having a very nice and useful experience and then I got frozen. Don't know if should I continue this path or change to another or wait.
    Please let me know if there are plans to fix it.
    THank you very much again.

33. LootHunter

LootHunter

34. miccalloyhve

miccalloyhve

35. mahito2932

mahito2932

I really loved Tower defense template was incredibly amazing tutorial there Is no good tutorials anywhere... others tutorials Just cover must needles things but unity tutorials was on another level big thanks for that but unlikely It was removed and i can Say that was a very well optimized in terms of performance.