Search Unity

Tutorial: Creating a Basic Platformer Game - Outdated/Errors

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Robert23, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Robert23

Robert23

Hello Community,

i want start today with Unity3D and i selected for the Journey of Game Development the small Tutorial "Creating a Basic Platformer Game" but it's outdated.:confused::eek:

I have only a little experience on C++ (Console) and Photoshop so i looking for good Tutorial to start from ground Zero. o_O Is this Tutorial with 2-3 Steps usefull in Unity5?...

Hope for fast and helpful Posting, thank you very much!

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

What problems are you encountering when trying to follow the tutorials? These tutorials may have been checked with Unity 4.6, but they were released after Unity 5. There is only one real difference between Unity 4.6 and Unity 5 scripting, but the scripts in the boxes below the tutorial seem to be using the newer style so that shouldn't be an issue.

3. Robert23

Robert23

Hi Ryiah, thanks for you very fast answer.

I upload here a Screenshot from me: http://fs1.directupload.net/images/150907/wghlpkka.jpg
    1 and 2 looks different from the Videotutorialscreen. And my Hero was a Puzzle, i must build the Hero per click & drop, but befor i must open the Pic on the small right play arrow...

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Ah. I think I see the problem. You need to import the character's prefab from the 2D Platformer asset. You have to select the "Character" folder found under "Prefabs" in the asset package. Then when you drag the asset in it'll be fully assembled.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  5. Robert23

Robert23

Ahh ok thanks i fix it. Now i can't see the Hero on the Camera, by the same Options from the Tutor and the "groundCheck" is not a orange button, on my screen it's invisible.

//Edit:
    At the moment i watching the part with CSharp... this guy talk so fast and coding faster than light... when unity call this Tutorial for "Beginners"... what comes for the Level "Beginners"... i need to start with this difficulty. :confused:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  6. jhocking

jhocking

7. tedthebug

tedthebug

Pause & rewind are your friends. I use them often in tutorials because I do 2-finger typing & have to look at the keyboard while I do it so I pause the video, type, rewind to double check, then keep going

8. Robert23

Robert23

Yeah i know tedthebug. I spend my Time the last do two Days in Mono to learn C#. I start from the Hello World Program and work step by step on the Basics in C# on Console Basis. I learn its important to know the C# Code from the "Beginner" Tutorial. I think Beginner is for the UnityMaker, a Person that how to coding in C#... so i need a little bit more Time to start with Unity. ;)

9. Robert23

Robert23

I found some free C# Books and Videotutorials on Youtube. At the Moment the big Question is, can i use only C# Learning Stuff or also for "Visual" C#?... i don't now as Unity and C# Beginner, is Window C# Coding also important for Unity Scripting?

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity's C# is approximately the same as Visual C# and .NET 3.5. You can even use Visual C# if you want as an IDE.

No. You won't be using Windows Forms or WPF with Unity.

11. james_m_russell

james_m_russell

yup. first tutorial i did, i hit pause 100 times. second tutorial was a little easier and the third i only had a pause and reply a handful of things.

one thing that confused me a little at first, is that the interface is customizable. at first i thought i was a version thing, but i think the space shooter has a few minutes on how to rearrange the different parts of the Unity GUI.

I've noticed most tutorials do not use the default layout, but use one of the other standard layouts in 5. made it a little easier for me when i figured that out, since everyhting was in the same place.