Search Unity

[Tutorial] Building a VR Game for Google Play w/ Cardboard SDK 0.6

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Selzier, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Selzier

Selzier

In this tutorial, we will build a mobile VR app designed for Google Play Store (not GearVR or Daydream). This app will not require any additional installations like Google VR Services, etc. It is a standalone APK that simply splits the screen into a stereoscopic view. Full ability to toggle VR mode on or off without causing a crash. Full control over device orientation, so you can start the app in portrait and then switch to landscape.

Target would be Google Play, you would probably use the new GoogleVR for you Daydream Store version, and perhaps Native Unity for your Gear VR version.

2. CatnipVR

CatnipVR

Hey mate, love your tutorials and Youtube channel!
    This video was where I started my journey as a VR dev (granted, I'm still learning but...).

It's that you haven't made any more VR tutorials in a long time, though I understand the revenue from VR apps is sub-par at best at the moment. I think I remember reading one of your posts about how VR ads pay horrible as of now. So far I've heard Omnivert has been the dominator in VR ads, through their eCPM rates aren't as good either.

As of now I was working with a team of devs in South Asia (cheap as heck) and I'm more interested in just getting something out into the VR ecosystem. I think free apps/games is the way to go(users are spoiled thanks to the App Stores).

Neglecting profits, what does your experience say regarding the thought that it may be better to inject simpler VR games which are free (like Ketchapp style) and monetizing with that over time? Again, I think monetizing as of now may be bad due to eCPM rates nearing $3 even with Omnivert, but do you think there's any sort of ecosystem in the Oculus Go stores for free games?