Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Turret Wars 1.5 released...

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by seon, Jun 7, 2007.

1. seon

seon

Yes, we have been very busy and decided to release a new update to Turret Wars. It's not that we have nothing better to do with our time than work on Turret Wars... it's just that we keep thinking up more cool ideas and don't want to wait to implement :D

http://games.sector3.com.au/turret.aspx

What's new in Turret Wars 1.5?

* Shield Bunkers that enable Turret Shields
    * Collect Mega Blast power-up bunkers and use when desired
    * New extra difficulty level - "Bring it on"
    * Drop ships that re-spawn new enemy turrets during game play
    ("Bring It On" feature only)
    * 2x fantastic new environments (Dark Monoliths Ring Arena) - 8
    Environments now!
    * Set and Restore your current Turret rotation
    * Revised and expanded scoring system with full game statistics
    * Filter the high-scores ladder in-game to see ALL or just YOUR scores
    * Turn music on/off during game play

We thought about releasing a new Demo for 1.5 and decided against it... we will see how that pans out for us. There were two reasons we decided not to release a new demo:-

1) Because the demo version wouldnt show any of the new features
    2) Our bandwidth usage has gone through the roof...!

Cheers :)

2. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Widget Monkey Games site updated!

3. seon

seon

Well, as promised, we are sharing more info about how we are going with our Turret Wars releases.

We have just officially passed the 21,000 downloads mark for the demo in 49 days. Thats pretty good considering that 17,770 have been Mac downloads! We cant wait to get some impact in the Windowz market... just a hard nut to crack!

Our sales are still sitting nicely above 1% too, and staying pretty steady so thats also great for us.

Also, as most of you know, we changed our pricing/license model to have a single $9.95 option and a $19.95 family pack option, and we are getting more sales in the singles, but still a steady stream of family packs too, which I found surprising.

Also.. some extra tid bits...

We have had only 1 complaint about our copy protection, and that was from a windowz user (compared us to the likes of Microsoft in our rudeness of phoning home to verify he was who he said he was).. so I gave him his money back and had a HUGE laugh!

We have also learned that our sales go up dramatically when we get press... so it's important when anyone releases to stay on top of the press and get lots of chatter!

Anyway, thats it for now... feedback and comments welcome... I will update more as things progress :)

4. drJones

drJones

wow that's great - nice going ; )

thanks for sharing the numbers - i'm really surprised about the PC-MAC ratio - has alot of your press been on mac gaming sites only?

congrats!

5. seon

seon

Yeah, we cant seem to find many PC/Windows games news sites anywhere... they all seem to be forum based, where of course it's un-cool and highly illegal to post about a new game or an update of a game.

Where as the Mac community have dozens of cool sites that help developers promote their products... and so many blogs and news feeds that stem from that. Such an awesome community!

DaveyJJ has been getting some good press from both worlds... (Mac/PC), but he is offering a game portal... people (PC whiners) don't seem to feel so insulted when the news is not from someone trying to "blatantly" sell them something!

6. drJones

drJones

ahh - that makes sense. you probably already know about it but have you tried submitting for a review at game tunnel?

http://www.gametunnel.com/html/modules.php?name=Developers

i don't know what their criteria for "casual game" is but its a good place to see what's being produced out there. latest list:

http://www.gametunnel.com/articles.php?id=613

7. seon

seon

Gametunnel.com looks cool. Thanks for the pointer :)

8. seon

seon

Further update on how thinsg are going with Turret Wars...

We advertised (banners) on iSlayer.com/Mactalk.com.au and GameTunnel.com (thanks again DrJones) and though our PC sales have only inched up a fraction... we have had almost 9,000 demo downloads in less than 7 days, and we have been recording record sales figures over the last week, far surpassing our expectations.

It just goes to show that banner advertising still gets seen in the right circumstances.

9. AaronC

AaronC

Good one Seon.

Maybe HiggyB or someone who's keeping track of all these sites could start a page on the wiki? Maybe with details on how each site operates?

Just an idea, if its not implemented by the time I'm ready to distribute, I'll do it myself when its near the top of my priority list.
    AC

10. bronxbomber92

bronxbomber92

Great game! I love the demo! If you don't mind me asking, roughly what are you're sale statistics? How many copies have you sold of each license?

11. drJones

drJones

good to know - this is all great info to have, i appreciate you sharing will do the same when i eventually release something. congrats again ; )

12. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Well, to be clear, I'm not necessarily tracking sites where you might place ad banners so much as I'm working to ensure that game portals and online publishers are open to accepting Unity-authored content. Given that a few of them are I think a Wiki page may be a good idea, but it won't quite be about where to place other advertising in particular.

Keep it up Seon!