Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. We are updating our Terms of Service for all Unity subscription plans, effective October 13, 2022, to create a more streamlined, user-friendly set of terms. Please review them here: unity.com/legal/terms-of-service.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

Turning off Unnecessary Permission Requests

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by MRKane, Jun 1, 2017.

1. MRKane

MRKane

I'm part of a team making sports tracking software, and we're getting a lot of feedback from frustrated Android users who are being bothered by Unity permission requests. Unfortunately we're version locked at 5.5.1 for the duration of the event, so upgrading is not an option.

These permissions request every time Unity is launched:
    • Access to contacts
    • Access to photos, media, and files on your device
    I want to know how to stop these permission requests from coming up and bugging users, or what sections of code could be causing these requests. It would be fantastic if there were settings in the Build Settings section of the app that showed which permissions would be requested, and a toggle for setting them to active/inactive to troubleshoot mobile development.

2. Scabbage

Scabbage

Go to your Assets/Plugins/Android/AndroidManifest.xml file, add this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. <meta-data android:name="unityplayer.SkipPermissionsDialog" android:value="true"/>

MRKane likes this.
  3. MRKane

MRKane

Thank you so much for that! It appears to have done the trick!

And with that - let the panic on this end continue lol

4. Scabbage

Scabbage

No problem =)

And yea, generally I shy away from Android-related stuff, it's too much hassle ;p

MRKane likes this.
unityunity