Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Turning a c64 classic 3D

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by OneMoreRound, Mar 25, 2018.

1. OneMoreRound

OneMoreRound

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice in how I would approach this type of 'racing' in Unity as used in Outrun for the c64:

I did this previously in a 2D game engine by storing each bend in the road (outlined by trees) as separate images. Then randomising the next turn, either more turn or straightening up. I then set a trigger region where for the trees where the player would crash. Forces were set to push or pull the player into the side of the road depending on the degree of the bend.

Obstacles are then randomised for the player to jump over and brought to the front of the screen by increasing their size and moving down the y axis.

I would like to replicate this same 'scene' in Unity but in a 3D environment.

What approach should I take?

1) Pre-designing a large environment and removing the 'random bend' element. With pre-populating where the obstacles are. -> Though I'm unsure how to achieve the auto-run feature with 'g-force' pulling him into sides of the road

2) Some kind of 'infinite runner' technique where the map is somewhat randomised but I'm not sure this is possible with having 'bends', rather than 90 degree turns where the camera swings around.

3) Something else

Thanks in advance

Rich

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Unless I misunderstand, the g-force you're referring to is nothing more than momentum. If your racer has a particular velocity, then left/right inputs change this velocity, but only so fast. That means when you approach a bend, if you do nothing — or if your steering input isn't strong enough — you will automatically approach/hit the side of the road.

Option 1 is definitely the easiest. I'd suggest trying this first, and doing something more complex only if you find a good reason to.

OneMoreRound likes this.