Search Unity

TurnBased-Toolkit (TBTK)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Song_Tan, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Bud-Leiser

Bud-Leiser

Implementing New Obstacles: Anyone know how?

So I took a look at the other obstacles. Saw they had the Obstacle.cs attached. Brought in some prefabs, gave them the Obstacle.cs script, edited the obstacle name to something unique. Then went to HexGridManager and tried to generate the map with some....no dice. The new obstacle does not automatically appear in the Grid Manager. Any ideas guys?

2. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

First you need to add the obstacle prefab to ObstacleManager, just like how you add a unit prefab to UnitManager. Then there's 2 way you can add it into the grid. The first is using the GridPainter, you can access the it under tile/unwalkable. You can also use the let the auto-generate function place it for you. But to do that you will need to check the UseObstacle flag in GridManager and enable the obstacle prefab you want to use in the scene.

3. Bud-Leiser

Bud-Leiser

OMG There's an obstacle manager tab 0_0 I didn't even notice that~! x_x

Ok now I have a different problem: It's going crazy with the object sizes! If I just make the mesh and texture a prefab with no empty object it doesn't respond to my size inputs at all

If I make it an attachment to an empty object, and attach the script to the empty and attach the mesh to the empty it seems to respond to my size adjustments...except it generates some really big ones, and some normal ones. p_0

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  4. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Very very sorry for the slow respond. I saw your original post and thought it I doesnt need to respond to it. But then I never got any further notification when you edit the post later so I wasnt realize that you are stuck at all.

So here's a tip, I would suggest you guys to create a new post when you have new issues/questions. This way I dont miss it. Edit is good only for when you want to do some correction to a post, not to add information. I dont get any notification when you edit a post so it's very likely I'll miss it.

So for your issue, always go for the second method, that is attached your mesh to an empty object and attach the script to the empty object. The toolkit is designed to work this way for the obstacles, units and collectibles. As for the size, it is adjusted it in runtime with respect to girdSize using the scale you set for the prefab. So if it got very big when generated, chance are the size of the mesh in the prefab is very big as well. You can use the tile size at (1, 1, 1) as a reference. For the scale of the prefab, if it fits to the tile when the tile is scaled at (1, 1, 1), it will fit when it's generated. Also, make sure the root-Object of the prefab is scaled at (1, 1, 1) when you adjust the mesh size.

5. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Finally v1.0.3 is finally on AssetStore. I'm pleased to announce that with it comes the support of square-grid and new turn mode (based on units stats where faster unit gets more move in a round). It also feature a bunch of smaller addition and tweaks.

Here's the summarised change log:

additions/changes
    • TBTK tab on the top panel has been moved to 'Tools/SongGameDev/TBTK'
    • added support fro square grid
    • added new turn mode (SingleUnitRealTime SingleUnitRealTimeNoRound), similar to SingleUnitPerTurn but faster unit get to move more in a round than slower one.
    • separated grid generation and unit generation
    • added point budget based unit generation
    • UnitAbility can now trigger other unit abilities, enable abilities with different target area, effect, etc.
    • UnitAbility can now fail/miss
    • damage effect on UnitAbility now has damageType associate with it.
    • and other minor tweaks.
    bug fixes
    • fix bug with unit placement
    • fix various bugs with the UnitAbility
    • fix volume bug with AudioManager
    • fix bug with multiple shootObjects
    • fix bug when randomize level breaks the game on iOS
    • and more...

$sc6.jpg

6. vonpixel

vonpixel

Perfect timing.

Im just getting into running a prototype of a game, and found this. Only I needed square based tiles to work from. Very glad to see my timing couldn't have been more perfect!

Quick question- Do I need to have NGUI to work with this?

7. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

It comes with NGUI free and the default UI (as seen in the demo and screen-shot) is based on NGUI. So yes, to use it as it's you would need NGUI. But unless you are looking for a commercial release, the free version could do the job just fine. Just a note tho, it only support NGUI up to v2.7. It doesnt support the latest NGUI (3.0) yet.

The code is written in such a way that the core mechanic is not dependent on any of the UI element. So effectively you can ditch the default UI and build your own UI. But be warned, it wont be easy unless you are quite comfortable with coding.

Edit: As of v1.0.6 (jan2014), support for NGUI3 and Unity default UI has been added.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  8. vonpixel

vonpixel

Excellent- thanks for the response!

9. Mind Cookin

Mind Cookin

Hi songtan,

I want to ask you if TBTK is avalaible for Unity free or do I need a Unity Pro License?

Congratulations, your work is awesome!

10. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks! You dont need UnityPro for TBTK. I use Unity Free myself.

11. drewradley

drewradley

Was waiting for square grids and just bought it. Do I need to import the asset store version of NGUI? Will there be issues if I do? I already own it.
    Looking forward to playing around with it this weekend.
    Thanks!

12. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks for your purchase! I hope you enjoy it.

No you dont need any additional package to get it running. But if you plan to release a commercial copy of your work with it, you do need to upgrade the NGUI free that comes with it with it to NGUI full. As long as you dont upgrade NGUI to version3+ you should be fine. Last time I check, there's an option to choose between version 2.7 or latest(3+) when updating/importing NGUI from the latest NGUI package.

13. drewradley

drewradley

Thanks! I'm still using 2.6. so I guess I'll upgrade.

14. drewradley

drewradley

I am getting the following errors when I import NGUI 2.7:

Assets/NGUI/Scripts/Editor/BMFontReader.cs(47,34): error CS0433: The imported type `BMFont' is defined multiple times

Assets/NGUI/Scripts/Editor/UIWidgetInspector.cs(29,19): error CS0433: The imported type `UIWidget' is defined multiple times

Assets/NGUI/Scripts/Editor/UIWidgetInspector.cs(984,23): error CS0433: The imported type `BetterList`1' is defined multiple times

Assets/NGUI/Scripts/Editor/UIFontInspector.cs(42,9): error CS0433: The imported type `BMSymbol' is defined multiple times

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

edit: Okay, I completely removed NGUI and imported a fresh version and that seems to have fixed it.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  15. drewradley

drewradley

Every time I hit "Generate Grid" or "Generate Unit" it removes most of the units and when I hit play it tells me there is only one faction or there is no player faction, then gives me an out of range error for UnitControl.cs line 848 (for "no player faction") or line 386 (for "only one faction"). I've done nothing else but hit those buttons. It also occasionally puts two units in the same tile. I'm using Unity 4.2.2 Pro and Windows 8 if that matters.

edit: also happens in Unity 3.5.7 pro as well.

edit further: When I try to add another faction beyond two and hit "Add Area" everything after that button get's cut off in the inspector with no way to scroll to it. Can't even hit "Remove Faction" to get rid of it, let alone either of the Generate buttons.

I'll try it on my Windows 7 computer at when I get home but I do all my work on my laptop with win 8.

Yet another edit: just tried on my Windows 7 computer with the same results. However, I noticed this error when I click add area to a third faction:
    Unexpected top level layout group! Missing GUILayout.EndScrollView/EndVertical/EndHorizontal?
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

I was looking forward to working on it all weekend. Has anyone else had this problem?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  16. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I'm so so sorry for didnt respond. I didnt get any notification at all for your post.

Yes, for NGUI you will have to remove the NGUI folder in TBTK before you import the full version. Otherwise you will have all sort of issue.

So the problem is this for every scene you need at least two faction. Which is why you get the "only one faction" warning. So either you setup 2 factions with different ID in GridManager, or you manually place units consist of 2 different faction in the scene using GridPainter. You can tell the unit of different faction by looking in SceneView when the GridManager object is selected. There should be a gizmo stating the faction of each unit. Note that if you do manually place the unit, you should disable both RandomizeGridOnStart and RandomizaUnitOnStart checkbox on GridManager. You can try refer to the example scenes. There are scene which the unit are preplaced and scene where the grid will be randomized upon play. I believe if you can get this right, you should be able to get rid of the rest of the runtime issue.

For your info, your operating system should have no effect on getting the package to run. It doesnt have any particular system dependency, so long as the unity is working, this should work too.

About the error message with add area however. It's a bug. I've manage to replicate it on my end. I'll try to fix it and get back to you asap.

In the future, if I dont respond to your post in more than 2 days, please email me directly so make sure I didnt missed the post. Unless I've said in advance that I'll be away a specified period. Sorry again.

17. drewradley

drewradley

I am using one of your scenes with two factions (the ExSquare scene). When I hit "generate" grid, I can place a unit with the grid painter and it works but when I hit generate units, it removes any units I place with the painter when I hit play. I have it open right now and tried it again. I did manage to get it to place two units with the button, but it removed them when I hit play and told me I didn't have a second faction. What am I doing wrong? I've changed nothing at all from the downloaded version (from the asset store). Even tried it with a version where I didn't replace NGUI. And Generate Units, without fail, breaks it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  18. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

When you generate units (pressing the button), it will remove all the units in the scene and regenerate new one, regardless of how the unit in the scene is placed (manually or generated). As for how it gnerate new units, it simply follow the configuration in Faction. You can specify spawn areas for each faction, number and type of unit to spawn. I suspect the reason why generate unit doesnt work by default is that I havent setup the faction information in the scene properly. Note that the scene doesnt have RandomizeUnitOnStart enabled, so strictly speacking there's no need to setup the faction at all for the scene to work. Either way, it could be there's no faction is specified, or no unit is specified or the area specified is not valid (no tile is covered by the area at all). If it's right, you will see units from different faction being spawned in the scene immediately. There's no need to wait to play the scene.

Also please note that there's a difference between the RandomizeUnitOnStart checkbox and the GenerateUnit button. The former is to determine if the unit should be regenerated everytime the scene plays. Enable it will cause the scene to regenerate units in every play. So whatever unit you placed manually will be removed. The GenerateUnit button is only there for you to quickly fill up the map in editor mode based on the faction configuration for quick setup or testing.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  19. drewradley

drewradley

I've figured out some of that. By changing the size of the "Spawn Area" I have been able to get it to generate units when I hit the button. HOWEVER it still removes them from the board when I hit play and tells me I have no player faction but the player faction are the only units I am seeing on the board.

20. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Did you enabled either of RandomizeGridOnStart or RandomizeUnitOnStart checkbox? Make sure both of them are disabled. It would be very helpful to figure out what's wrong if you can you send me a screen-shot of the inspector of your GridManager object, along with the grid in the SceneView, when you have just generate some unit using the Generate Unit button.

21. drewradley

drewradley

Don't have either checked. I've been trying to upload screenshots but they are on my laptop which seems to be connected to the slowest wireless network in the world right now so they might need to wait until I get home from work in 90 minutes. I'll keep trying though.

22. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Right I've reset my scene to the default so it should be the same as yours. There's indeed an issue with one of the faction spawn area. So these are the only change I made: set the the height of the spawn area of both faction to 4. After that, I manage to run the scene with either RandomizeGridOnStart or RandomizeUnitOnStart enabled/disabled. But I do discover a bug with GenerateUnit button as well, it doesnt seem to register any unit generated to the grid. Please try not to that for the time being until I get it fixed. That said, GenerateGrid button is fine, you can use that to fill up the unit if you dont mind the grid change.

It's actually quite late here so I need to go. I'll pick this up first thing tomorrow morning to fix the bug. Let me know if you still can get anything working later.

23. drewradley

drewradley

Managed to get them up. Here is the screen shot with nothing changed but the spawn area being increased:

$TB Screen1.png

Here it is after I hit Generate Units:
    $TB Screen2.png

Here it is after I hit play. Notice it says no player faction but the red units ARE the player faction.
    $TB Screen3.png

(edit: there are supposed to be pics showing up... hopefully they will sooner or later)

24. drewradley

drewradley

Thanks for your help! Have a good night. I'll try to get those screen shots up, but it seems like you've discovered the problems I've been having. I'll avoid generate unit for now.

I just tried with Random and it worked for me as well.

while I'm at it, how do I go about changing the speed they move between tiles? I want to slow them down.

25. E1iTe

E1iTe

@Songtan Hello again and thanks again for your amazing work, I know you've been very busy but i'm just wondering when the perk system will be completed or at least started to be implemented in? I basically have a bunch of code I need to run before and after a unit attacks but I was waiting until most of your features where done so its less likely for me to have to go back and remerge my code with the framework. Plus i'm very interested in what the perk system will turn out to be like. Also have you figured out a way to be able to spawn a unit as an ability?

Thanks for your continued hard work.

26. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

@drewradley, I've sent a package to you, check your pm. That should fix all the issues we encounter so far.

@E1ite, I like to give you a date of when the perk system will be done or how it's going to be like but I simply cant. What I can say is that the perk system should look like the perk system in TDTK. It's my other TowerDefense package if you are not aware of that. You can check that out to get an idea. I think I have a video about the perk system in TDTK. But it's hard to tell at this point to what extent I will take the perk system to. I suppose that depends on how complicated things gets as I add in new stuff, and how busy I will be in the coming months. I have tried my hand on spawning unit on the run, it's partially done but it's not there yet. Unless you just want the raw code to add unit during runtime. I'm looking to polish that so that it suite more purposes than a specific ability. Hope that answer your question, sorry I dont have much good news at this point.

27. drewradley

drewradley

It does indeed fix the errors. Any problem if I change moveSpeed from private to public? I suspect not but doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks for all your help!

28. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Feel free to make it public. It shouldnt matter in the grand scheme. But you wont be able to edit it in UnitEditor even if you do that. You can just edit the value via inspector.

29. drewradley

drewradley

That's okay. Most of them will be the same anyway. I just like the option to make them move faster or slower. I realize it won't have any effect on game play, but will help to sync animations.

30. drewradley

drewradley

What would it take to adjust a unit's dodge, attack chances and melee damage based on how many tiles they moved? So, for example, when they move 3 spaces they get a .3 increase dodge and +3melee damage (like charging an enemy) but decrease their chance to hit in both melee and ranged combat by .3. Similar to that, what would it take to use extra AP to increase an abilities damage or healing?I'd be happy for a way just to use up all the remaining AP as extra damage/health.

Still a great kit and I have already set up an advancement scheme so units gain more abilities and has better attacks based on the number of missions they have been in.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  31. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

First you can have a variable (said tileMoved) that record how many tile the unit has moved in that turn. You can assign the value to tileMoved in Move(), using value from AStar.Distance(occupiedTile, newTile). Then in Process() in the AttackInstance, where all the attack calculation is done, you can then take the value of unit.tileMoved and targetUnit.tileMoved to modify the stats as you see fit.

Continue from the method mentioned above, you can use unit.AP in to modify the attack damage value. As for healing, it concern ability and it's a lot more complicated. You will need to be very specific about exactly what you need. Since you can have many ways to do heal with ability, there are many possibilities that need to be covered. Without any spcification, I cant suggest a sure way even when looking at the code.

32. drewradley

drewradley

Thanks! I'll play around with it some more and come up with specifics.

33. InsaneGoblin

InsaneGoblin

@Song

Can you tell me what kind of licensing for non-commercial product does this asset have?

Per seat? Per project? Per team? Per Company?

Should everyone in my team buy a copy of the asset to use it or it can be shared?

Thanks

34. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

All assets on asset store is bound by the AssetStore EULA. The way I understand it, It should be per seat.

35. InsaneGoblin

InsaneGoblin

Ok Song, thanks for the quick reply!

36. InsaneGoblin

InsaneGoblin

Hey again, Song!

Excellent work on the TBTK, I'm customizing it like crazy!

Support questions this time:

1) is there a way to make the asset appear on the menu, without it being under Tools / SongGameDev / TBTK, so that like NGUI, they are just under one layer of menu?

You made this change in 1.0.3, and would like to go back to the old format :)

2) would it be too much asking if you can update the NGUI linked to this asset to 3.0.5 (current version) to remove the 36 alert messages on asset import?)

3) got a private forum and a wiki/documentation for this asset?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  37. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Placing the menu under Tools/ is a requirement by the AssetStore. I prefer the old way too. To change that, open Link.cs, look for any path that contains "Tools/SongGameDev/TBTK/something", Just remove Tools/SongGameDev/ will do.

I'll try to remove the warning on NGUI for newer version of Unity. But unfortunately I can quite update it to NGUI 3+ compatible yet. There are details in the new version that would simply mess up the current UI setup.

No private forum or wiki unfortunately. But there's a pdf documentation that comes with the package.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  38. DjEmix

DjEmix

Hi!! Good plugin but I have a problem. I try to create a hex map 80x80 cells, save the scene. Load other scene and reload the scene with the map and unity crash!!
    If I do a little map works perfect, but with this map I have the problem, what can I do?

39. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Well with the way the tiles works, it doesnt quite support big map. The biggest myself have ever tried on is 50x50. I will try to see if I can optimize it. But there's no guarantee I will manage it so dont get your hopes up.

For now, I would suggest you to stick with smaller map. Very sorry for the limitation.

40. drewradley

drewradley

Has anyone tried it with 4.3?

41. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I have only tried it on 4.2 so far, not 4.3. As far as I can tell there aren't any changes in 4.3 that will break it.

42. drewradley

drewradley

Thanks! I'll try it when I get home from work today.

edit: works fine so far. No errors and the example scene I tried works in 4.3

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  43. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

@drewradley, Great, thanks for letting me know.

44. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

By the way, I'm pleased to accounce that v1.0.4 is now up on AssetStore. Get your update today folks!

The notable additions are Perk System, new Unit Abilities, partial hotseat multiplayer support.

Please visit my website to see more info about the update.

45. drewradley

drewradley

Great update! Thanks! Those new abilities are exactly what I wanted.

Now a question: How easy would it be to change the Attack Range of melee attacks and will that cause any problems? I want to have some melee attacks with "reach" such as a spear or poleaxe. Or really long arms. The only reference I found to the range of melee attacks is when it is checking for Hybrid range i.e. if(dist ==1), but not sure where I can change it. Thanks!

46. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

By default, all melee attack has a maximum range of 1. That is why for hybrid unit, it will automatically uses melee attack when target is in adjacent tile. Hence the check distance of 1 is only used for hybrid unit to switch between melee or range attack.

Anyway, I've made a mod and email it to you. You should now be able to modify the maximum range for melee attack for both melee and hybrid unit.

47. drewradley

drewradley

Thanks so much!

48. WitchKing

WitchKing

Hi Song,

OMG! This toolkit is awesome, really enjoying using it and managed to get some cool stuff going really quickly!

I've got a (noob) question though. I don't use AP points for movement or attack, just for abilities, like a sort of energy/mana type system. When a game starts though, my units always start with zero AP, is there some way I can start them off with full AP? Probably something I've checked wrongly, I suspect.

I've also got a bunch of suggestions/requests/wishful-thinkings I thought I'd kick in your direction, wether you want them or not :p

1.On abilities, there are checkboxes for enableMovementAfter and enableAttackAfter - is it possible to have one for enableAbilityAfter ? So that, a unit could only use one ability per turn, for example?

2.Can abilities play their own animation? For example, say a unit has a "Shield Bash" special ability - could it play a shield bash anim? I can see there being a problem with this if more than one unit uses that ability - each one of them would have to have it's own version of the "Shield Bash" ability, or all the shield bash anims would have to have the exact same name. Maybe a better alternative is to allow multiple types of attack per unit instead?

3.Can armour have an effect on dodging? For example, heavy armour could decrease the chance of dodging, compared to lighter armour.

4.This one's more of a wishful thinking thing than anything else - how about an inventory/X-Com loadout type system? Yeah, I know it's probably beyond the scope of what you have in mind for this toolkit, but I can dream, right? There are some inventory systems out there, I wonder how hard it might be to shoe-horn one in...

5.Is there a way to sort of "smooth out" the way units move? On a square grid, if a unit is told to move to a square that's diagonal from it, it currently moves forward, turns right 90 degrees, moves forward, turns left 90 degrees, etc. (Actually, I think I might have some code for that somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it out, if that helps?)

Sorry for the epic requests post, got a bit carried away - keep up the good work!

49. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thank you for your kind words. Very glad you are enjoying the kit. Please leave the review on the AssetStore page instead. That would be much appreaciated!

To start the unit with full AP, simply check the RestoreAPOnNewRound flag on GameControl. Now to answer your question/suggestion one by one.

1. Good idea, I'll see what I can do.

2. It's a bit tricky yes, for the exact reason you mentioned. I'll try to find a way. But mind you since this is not something of a top priority, it might have to wait.

3. The armor type on the unit is set right from the start, you can set the dodge chance to match manually. I dont see why you need an additional factor from the armor to modify the dodge.

4.Well it can be done for sure. But if I'm to add any new feature, I want to keep it in theme with the rest of the toolkit. That is each element is open to customization to a reasonable extent. Now with that in mind, inventory system become something very very tricky to pull off. To start with, how you allow variation in the implementation, mechanic or even user interation without needing to have the same variation in term of user interface for each possibilty. Not to mention to systematically structure it so it can be customized via intuitive editor interface. To implement a very specify design of inventory system, yes it can be done without too much problem (not that it's easy task), but to keep it open-ended, that I'm afraid is simply too much work.

5. Path-smoothing eh. Yea I've my own code for that too. But the way the game mechanic is coded. I'm not sure if this can be done. I'll need some experiment to find out if this is possible without breaking some of the game mechanic. So yea, if it does not complicate things with existing mechanic, I'll do it.

Having said that, please keep in mind I have just release a new update. The plan is to take a break from developing this and work on some other stuff. I'll come back to this some day. But please dont keep you hopes up in getting the next update very soon.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  50. drewradley

drewradley

I can't get teleport to work. The unit just stays in the same square. I get a grey area where I can click but when I click... nothing. When I add effects, they work but the unit stays firmly in the same square. I tested it on a fresh install of the kit on the square tile example and just added it to every unit.

Also, for some reason clicking on a GUI element such as an ability while over a choose-able tile will choose that tile. It doesn't do it on the default project but something seems to have changed in mine so now I can't click on the GUI without also clicking on the tile. What could do that?

Thanks!