Search Unity

TurnBased-Toolkit (TBTK)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Song_Tan, Aug 11, 2013.

1. BiggerBoat

BiggerBoat

This looks wonderful, great work.

I was wondering if this system has an option for a units facing to have an impact, ie fire arcs, line of sight, extra damage when flanking etc.

2. BB80

BB80

OK so i just bought this, loaded up the demo scene.. mini campaign noticed hex marker is twisted around sideways, go to buy units and they don't show up.. no unit placement, start the game and move the first unit which was already on the map he goes flying off the screen.

Edit: there are some problems, but overall it seems to work and was worth the money, looking forward to the updates. Hex marker can be adjusted and one of the space levels seems to work perfectly on its own.

2nd Edit: Within a matter of an hour I was able to get a working game from scratch with unit placement, random enemy spawns with AI and it all works.. Highly recommended. It seems movement by AP is already built into the game it just only lets you do it 1 time, like the creator said "Kings Bounty", hopefully this will be updated if not it will be on my list of things to change for my game. Thanks songtan for this nice project

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  3. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

@BB80, Thanks a lot for the feedback and thanks alot for your purchase. I'm glad you are happy with it. Quite surprised by some of the bug you discovered. I'm probably too tunnel visioned when testing it myself that I didnt notice that. It's also strange that I dont have any problem with the mini-campaign on my end. At any rate, I'll have a look at these issue and try to sort it out. Like I said, the package is still in its early day (it has only been out for 10 days), there are still plenty of polish needs to be done. So please do let me know if you come across any issue.

I also like to point out that all art asset in the demo, Hexmaker(or indicator as I call it), tile, unit, effects, etc. are just place-holder. You can effectively replace/adjust everything to suite your preference. The toolkit is designed to be that way. None of the code is tied down to a particular art asset (except maybe the hover and rotate effects scripts for the unit). Also you may notice that I made this so that It can be a genuine useful framework where you can design your game with as few limitation as possible, instead of a fixed template where you can only use a fixed mechanic. With that say I'll try to add the move system you described as soon as possible.

@BiggerBoat, currently no. But I'm working on an XCom style fog-of-war and cover system. The base code is already in the current release and it's working to an extent. But it's not polished enough for open configuration so I didnt expose the functionality. Hopefully I'll manage to get it done by next update.

4. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Apologies to all. I realise I just made a silly mistake uploading the package with a critical line of code missing. So the current package on AssetStore will not work properly. To fix it, please add this to line71 in HexTile.cs - pos=transform.position;. I'll upload the fixed version asap.

Sorry again for the trouble!

5. BB80

BB80

Unable to use the unit manager, it won't let me switch any new 3d models.. I am also unable to create any new units. Also there seems to be a bug in the abilities, radioactive ability the icon will show up as blank even though you seem to have it selected, and when you check the status of your unit it shows that skill as something else.. I think i need to wait for the fresh upload/fixed version, anyone else have this problem?

6. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

How do you try to "switch 3D model"? What you need to do is to create a new prefab manually and then try to add it to the UnitManager. The prefab must have a UnitTB component attached to it before it can be added to the UnitManager. The only way you can swap a 3D model of an existing unit is to do it manually with the prefab.

You have to add the icon you are using to NGUI atlas before it will show up. It's blank because the atlas doesnt have the sprite.

That, is a bug. I'll get it fixed.

7. BB80

BB80

I did not know the NGUI was pulling from that sprite sheet I thought each icon was a seperate file. 3d model works by dragging the prefab into the manager. Hehe.. Looks like its time for me to take a break.. Thanks for your help

8. pneill

pneill

I think I found a minor bug. I'm using Unity Pro 4.2, with iOS build settings.

If simply create a TBTK scene, hit play, and then hit end turn, I go into some infinite loop that I have to force quit to exit.

9. E1iTe

E1iTe

@pneill I also noticed the same issue when building to android on the latest version

@songtan I see that it looks like you started adding the cover system code, do you know when you are expected to have that and the UnitPriorityBasedNoCap mode? I'm in the middle of building out a playmaker version of the gamecontroller and extending the UnitTB class to have the values I need for my game but i'm trying to hold off until that code is finished

10. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks guys for letting me know. I'll find out what's wrong with it.

I would like to get the cover system done by the next update. But I really do not know when it's going to be done given that I've a few task on other project that I need to complete before I can really put the majority o fmy time back to this. To be safe,I would say two weeks from now at least. Fyi, UnitPriorityBasedNoCap mode has been dropped. The reason is without a clear end of round event, it become very tricky to keep track of the actual effects duration, which is based on round. Until I can figure out an intuitive rule-set for it, I'm not going to support it. Hope you understand.

11. Player2D

Player2D

hi guys
    can someone make a video how to add new units and work of bone animation?

12. E1iTe

E1iTe

13. E1iTe

E1iTe

The effect could last the effected units turns instead of rounds

14. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I'll try to make a quick video about it when I have time.

I thought of that but somehow it doesnt sound quite right to me in term of game balance. I can see how such setting would create a imbalance play by default when abilities and buff is thown into the mix. The faster unit will simply benefit more from a buff as they can possibly out-manuaver the slower unit before the slower unit can even react. I could try it anyway for the lack of better option. But it's a different implementation all together so it is not that straight forward. So it's not on the top my agenda to be honest.

15. Player2D

Player2D

really looking forward

16. E1iTe

E1iTe

No problem, i'll probably just add it in myself as it may be something more specific to my game as apposed to the overall general frame work. I'm just trying not to work on things that are on your roadmap so when they are complete I can use them. I'm currently trying to figure out how I can make an action take a specific amount of wait time before attacking. (Ex. a charged attack when I select the action, and but it takes two turns to do the more powerful attack) Thanks again for all of for help and a great starting framework.

17. GPSchnyder

GPSchnyder

Bought the TBTK as the TDTK worked great. As said, the Demos have some Problems, but I've build a Scene, and got it working in no time. I'm just tinkering with the random generation now and see that you have Blocks placed for the unwalkable Tiles when you generate the hex. Is there a way to have them when TBTK randomizes the levels on load and replace them with other models? And if there is, is there also a way to make the random generator pick from one of many models? Right now you have two models, the smaller white hex block and the higher grey one. If I replace them with lets say a Tower and a walled field I'l have a lot of fields and towers, all looking the same.

Ah, yeah, and I wanna throw some +1 around.
    +1 for hex fields (biggy)
    +1 for attacks that attack everything in a line 5 fields long, maybe even spreading (think firethrower)

All in all worth the money spent without a question,
    Will test mobile next and then give a review on the asset store,

George

18. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks for the compliment and feedback.

The 2 white and grey hex block are meant for the cover system, which is still very much a wip. Yes the idea is when it's done, you can create multiple unwalkable tile type, each with their own custom model. Then these tiles will be used in the grid generation or edition.

btw, what do you mean by "hex fields" in the "+1 for hex fields"?

19. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Btw, I've just uploaded a video about unit creation as requested.

Please excuse the slight blunder at the final minute of the video. I guess the video did what it meant to do.

20. GPSchnyder

GPSchnyder

For Hex fields I meant Square Fields. I need some Coffee :)

So I can Ignore them for now, build my stuff and then later add the models and I'm good to go. Nice.

Mobile works like a charm. only the moving of the camera and the double tapping needs a get used to it. But it all makes sense this way, so no problem with that. Speaking of camera, is there a way to have the action cam not be so quick? Like, after shooting one enemy the cam goes to the normal view instantly, moves a unit, and boom, actioncam again, both with way to quick cuts. I'd really like to have a field where I enter a timeframe that the actioncam and the normal cam have to stay in. And movement should pause till the time has passed also. This way we'd have the shooting, a short period of time, switch to the normal cam, the same amount of tome, movement, action cam, shooting, short period of time, normal cam, ... you get the idea. Just a number to make it less hectic.

21. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Ok. I'll see what I can do about it.

22. Bud-Leiser

Bud-Leiser

Awsome sauce!

Your website should have a discount for buying both packages. I'll probably buy TBTK today so I can work on it and maybe you can discount the TDTK for me later?

Bug: I was playing your mini campaign online in IE. In the 2nd level/map I have 13 units but only 11 spaces. It won't let me place any units manually or even "auto place". Note: The place unit bar replaces the configuration button so the player has no option to exit or return to main menu.

Requests:
    +1 for Laser ability (straight lines) and any other "arcs" and "scatter" abilities.

I'll hold off on my other requests until I actually buy the package and play around with it to make sure they are not in there ;)

Keep up the great work.
    Bud

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  23. Bud-Leiser

Bud-Leiser

LOL! I just discovered an awesome bug.

Peace Keeper > Click Barrage > Then click Rapid Fire (Probably works with any ability).... the barrage template will still be active while the mouse is outside of the hex map. So when you click the last highlighted squares (aka my home row) are still highlighted. I killed 2 of my own units and wounded another.

Request: Gray out units that have already acted. (or let Developer customize a color overlay) this way if unit overlays are off there is still a visual reference for which units have acted or not. Alternative: A colored line or color overlay for the hex (not the model) to show unit effects such as: Un-activated, activated, on fire, buffed, de-buffed, etc.

24. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Hi Bud,

Thanks very much for the feedback, especially about the bugs. I'll try to fix it asap.

As for the request, I'll try my best to comply. But please understand I do have a rough roadmap that I'm trying to follow. If the request is fits very well with the current code base or are very critical, I'll add them. But some will need a lot of work and code restructuring so that will most likely be put on hold.

I do have both TDTK and TBTK on sale on my website with reduced price. Go check it out. :)

25. Bud-Leiser

Bud-Leiser

Oh somehow I didn't notice it is $6 cheaper via blog. I already paid $55 through the asset store. There went a free sandwich! What I meant was there should be a bundled discount for buying both. ie $99 for both.

Response about requests: Oh absolutely. Those are not even "high priority" requests. I think cover and varying heights are way more important.Can you post your "coming soon" stuff on the blog when you add update changes? So we know what is in store next.

26. Bud-Leiser

Bud-Leiser

I've followed your video steps as closely as possible. Imported models, created empty objects, attached scripts, checked animation clips, added to unit manager, edited in unit editor. Scaled up to see it on the board. Added it to new scenes and example scenes. But I can never get it to Animate (idle or move) and can not get it to transform XYZ when activated.

See attached video: [video=youtube_share;lepvKeYy4Cw]http://youtu.be/lepvKeYy4Cw

27. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

A few things, you have a few errors with the UnitAnimation component. So that's probably why the animation doesnt playing. Thing is in your video you didnt show your animation configuration so I cant tell what's wrong. From the errors seems like you have left a few of the animation field empty. Just to be safe, I would setup everything correctly to make the scene runs without error. You never know how one error could lead to another and end up with some unexpected result. In the scene you showed me there's only 1 faction, so that could probably leads to some error.

Finally the restart button has been calling the wrong function so it doesnt do anything right now. To fix it, you can change the "Function Name" in the UIButtonMessage component on the button gameObject from OnRestart to OnRestartLevel.

28. Bud-Leiser

Bud-Leiser

Hey Songtan,

I hope you had a nice Labor Day Weekend. I know you UK people secretly celebrate all US holidays, you don't have to hide it with me. ;)

Question: Do you have to have assigned animations for the game to work? I'm trying something "new" with the game right now just using a single pane and 2D texture to move static pieces around the board for playtesting. This way I can make the game, iterate on gameplay and then go back and add 3D models and animations later. The problem is when playing when it reaches the camera scene for attacking nothing happens. So I think the script is waiting for the end of an animation trigger, even when no animation is assigned?

If so: Proposal: Have the UnitManager assign a default 'junk' animation to each field and then let the developer replace it later.

Bug: Models get in the way of clicking on the hex. Problem: Players have to click on the hex layer of the enemy they want to attack, so if the model is large and covers most of the hex it becomes difficult to click on the hex.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  29. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thankyou, unfrotunately the nature of the job means I rarely have a real holiday. Otherwise I wont be checking my mail and respond to forum post. :)

To answer your question, no you dont need any animation at all. Animtion and sound are entirely optional. None of the default units has any animation at all. The random or turret aiming movement that you saw is all script driven. I suspect the problem is you have a range unit but you didnt assign any shootObject? Also if you are using a melee unit and havent assign any animation, nothing noticeable will happen. Except maybe the damage text overlay.

As for the model size, it should be a none issue. The unit itself has no need for a collider so once you get rid of the collider, there shouldnt be anything blocking the tile from being clicked on. Look closely again at the unit creation video and the default units, I never added any collider component.

30. Bud-Leiser

Bud-Leiser

Ah ha! If I was a villian I would be Captain User Error!

31. Bud-Leiser

Bud-Leiser

Restore AP at each new round + FactionBasedSingleUnit + Allow Switching:

I would expect this combination to lead to: I can choose any unit I want and activate it. After I finish with that unit my opponent can move 1 unit. On my next turn I can switch to any other unit. After all units have been activated there is a new round, everyone regains their AP, now I can activate all of my units again.

What is happening: I can activate the same unit over and over unlimited times. >_<

32. GPSchnyder

GPSchnyder

Is there a way to have the units be able to move and shoot one time based on their stats (no AP needed for that) based on their speed and then have APs per round to make them move more, counting one AP per field, and one per shoot? with specials counting APs whenever you use them? If not, is there a way to add that?

George

33. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

@Bud, What happen with FactionBasedSingleUnit is that each faction move once in a round. Each complete turn taken by all faction is considered a round, hence the unit movement and AP is reset. But I see your point. So you want an alternative where all the faction gets to take turn to move a single unit, and the round is only completed when all unit has taken their turn... I'll see what I can do.

@George, I'm afraid that is not supported directly. But a small modification could be what you need. Just modify it so that the amount of AP restored is based on their speed. Then you can set it so that each move and attack cost AP. The code is in UnitTB.cs, OnNewRound(), particularly

Code (csharp):
    1.         if(GameControlTB.FullAPUponNewRound()) GainAP(fullAP);
    2.         else GainAP(APGainPerRound);
    You can change it to GainAP(speed); Of course you need to set the AP cap of the each unit so that it equals to speed. Hope this help.

34. GPSchnyder

GPSchnyder

Thanks, but no it doesn't. Sorry bout that. I think I wasn't clear enough. Which is my fault reading through my post again.

I want my Units to move based in the order of their speed. the fastest first, then the next, you know what I mean. First all my units, then all enemies Units.

Then I want them to be able to move as much fields as they are allowed based on their stats and shoot one time. In any order you like (move two fields, shoot, move three additional fields). And I want them to not need AP for that.

But I want to have like 1-6 AP per round to be able to spend them on the movement or shooting in addition to that. Like you have two AP and let two of your units shoot twice.

Hope this is understandable. It's like having AP to spend to push your units to do more.

George

35. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I see, so you want a faction based turn mode, but with each unit takes turn based on their stats. Then you want the total action available to be limited to a global AP pool. Very well, I'll try to add that. Having said that, I'm afraid it's not a straight-forward thing to do. In fact, any turn mode machanism alteration for that matter (even the one suggested by bud in an earlier post). It will require me to go through large section of the code, add, change or even restructure stuff. I love to implement this and I will. I just hope that you understand that it wont be happen in a day or two so it might not be in the next update.

36. GPSchnyder

GPSchnyder

No Problem with that. It is a miracle that you add all this Stuff in the first place :)

And yeah, that is exactly what I want :)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  37. Bud-Leiser

Bud-Leiser

Bug Title: No way to end turn (End Turn button disappears)
    Cause: Game control set to "Priority base" and enemy faction goes before user faction
    Related: May also relate to the "bouncing bullet" problem I showed you before, once game control > Turn Mode was set to "factionbased" this problem has not re-occurred.

Bug: Hit sound plays when attack misses

Improvement suggestion: Non-Critical, Grammar, Confusing titles
    Details: Some titles for stats are confusingly named such as: Attack (Range) should be renamed "Miss Chance". "Defend" should be renamed "Dodge Chance", "Speed" should be renamed to "Priority"

Improvement suggestion: Non-Critical, Layout
    Problem: The unit editor stats are not laid out in a intuitive manner. It would be nice if stats were clumped with related stats. Such as General Stats, Attack Stats, Defense Stats. See attached image for an example. (Includes rename for confusing titles)
    Proposal: $TBTK Unit Editor Suggestion01.png

Note: AttackRange should be the first thing chosen after Attack Mode: Range/Melee/Hybrid (The picture does not represent that sorry)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  38. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Consider the both the "missing end turn button in PriorityBased turn mode" and the "bouncing shootObject" bug fixed! It should be in the next update.

Nice suggestion too, I'll do that as well.

p/s: when I say next update, it's actually the next next update. I have actually submitted an update last week but that is yet to be approved. So any bug fix I mentioned from there on should be in the update after the coming one. Unless it's taking a lot longer than usual to get the package approved that I submitted the coming update before the last one is approved.

39. Bud-Leiser

Bud-Leiser

Wow that was fast. Hooray.

>_< Thanks for updating and fixing things quickly. Hopefully these get approved quickly too. Will it update automatically on my end?

40. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

No, it wont. You will need to manually update it via AssetSore package manager. I always put a notification out on my package support thread when a new update is out so as long as you keep an eye on this thread you shouldnt be missing anything.

41. im

im

why does it take them so long to get stuff approved?

42. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Normally it took 2-4 days to get an update approved. However I suspect the reason behind the delay in this instance is that Unite is on last week. They have pulled their man power to focus on the event. As far as I know AssetStore is only run by a handful of people. With the amount of Assets being on the store being updated and new submission, you can probably imagine the backlog it's going to cause whenever there's something like that.

43. E1iTe

E1iTe

@Songtan While working on doing a bunch of playmaker actions for this asset I see you have a lot of the cover system code in already. Do you have an ETA on that portion? (Sorry to be a pest)

and Also I would like to plus 1 the cone attack idea like: $hexBasedSpellAreas.png along with the line type of attack

44. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

Is there somewhere to set the movement speed of the units? I'm using a walking animation to move my unit around, but the actual movement speed of the game from hex to hex is way too fast for the animation - so fast the unity barely takes one step before moving 3 hexes.

I looked in the unit editor, but ironically, (and I have no idea why), "movement speed" seems to relate to how many hexes the unit can move, nothing to do with what the title suggests - may be a good idea to rename this in fact.

I'm also getting this error when the unit, an archer, fires his bow:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    UnitTBAnimation.PlayRangeAttack () (at Assets/TBTK/Scripts/C#/UnitTBAnimation.cs:180)
    UnitTB+<AttackRoutineRange>c__Iterator23.MoveNext () (at Assets/TBTK/Scripts/C#/UnitTB.cs:648)

The unit has a shoot point and a shoot object, both listed in the inspector, but the arrow does not show up when the animation runs, and once the animation has finished, I can't move anybody anymore...the game does not freeze, I just can't do anything, like my next turn etc. I am assuming that has something to do with the error. Thanks.

45. Bud-Leiser

Bud-Leiser

These are good, but Song I hope you keep measurement in hexes not feet ;) So Radius 5 = 5 hexes, not 1 hex.

46. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

The cover system is in effect done. I'm just working on the AI so that it work with respond to the cover and fog-of-war system. If all goes well, the next update should be submitted before the end of next week.

I'll try my best. But if I'm honest, I've thought about it and try to implement it. I have yet to find a intuitive way to fit into the current framework. It's not about determine a specific area, it's more about how do you configure an attack or an ability to target such area and how end-user input code has to be done to accomodate all this variation. We'll see.

Yes the naming is a bit mis-leading. It has been renamed and should be so in the coming update. But to the movement speed issue, you can change the "moveSpeed" variable in UnitTB.cs. It's private so you will have to change the code directly. Or you could make it a public variable as you see fit.

I think the problem is you have assign an attack animation but havent assign the delay for the animation. I imagine the code should have covered stuff like that. Anyway I'll look into it and let you know. For now I would suggest you to not assign any animation. That should at least make the unit functional.

47. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

Thanks for the quick reply Song. I've made the speed and rotation variables public as you suggested, and that works great. I also put a delay on the attack animation as you suggested, but it still threw up the error and stopped working as before, so I removed the animation altogether, but it still stops working if I attack...if I just move my units around the board without attacking, all works well, and the ai attacks (melee) on my units also work fine. I will wait for you to look into it as you said above. Thanks again.

48. Bud-Leiser

Bud-Leiser

If you are using a Ranged Attack you must have a ShootObject and that SO must work properly. (for example just use the SO objects already in there like SO energy bolt)

49. Bud-Leiser

Bud-Leiser

Is there an option somewhere, to enable my friendly units to walk through other friendly units?

50. Bud-Leiser

Bud-Leiser

Bug: Can move while enemy AI is still processing attack
    Details: Enemy unit has ranged 4 attack, TurnMode>UnitPriorityBased Enemy moved, then my characters green squares came up, I clicked move, enemy attacked, my green squares disappear, enemy attack finished, my character did not move and does not get his turn, instead another unit of mine gets a turn.