Search Unity

Turn off Touch controller warnings on Quest when using the hand tracking

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by bart_artanim, Jun 22, 2020.

1. bart_artanim

bart_artanim

In a Quest app I'm developing (Unity 2019.3.10f1) I'm using hand tracking for all interaction. The OVRManager has been appropriately set to hands only, which Oculus acknowledges on launch. The app itself works perfectly fine.

However, Oculus insists on showing controller warnings when the controllers are not nearby or visible. They are either general (controllers not found) or specific (left/right controller not found).

In our particular use-case, we cannot guarantee the controllers are present. The app is not going to be a store-app, but a side-loaded app for a specific public event. As such, I don't care about passing Oculus' publishing requirements.

The warnings are less frequent when removing batteries from the controllers altogether, or when unpairing the specific controllers. But we can't have any such user-facing pop ups in our case.

Given that I can operate the entire device just fine without controllers, I would assume there is a way to turn the warnings off. Is there?

ROBYER1 likes this.
  2. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

If you can do it ... this would be a feature in the OVRPlugin (it's way too proprietary for the Unity XR / XR toolkit - you could argue that the Unity XR layer needs to go into this level of detail, and I would agree with you, but for now they've made it a lot higher level than that).

So ... I'd download latest OVRPlugin from the assetstore, and go digging through the features in there. Or on the Oculus forums on their website. But if you find it, I'd love to know if it works - I think controller-less tracking is something we're going to see a lot more of this year!

Link is here: http://snapandplug.com/xr-input-too...-for-VR-/-OVRPlugin-Oculus-Integration-tools?

3. bart_artanim

bart_artanim

I have been trawling through the OVRPlugin code, but nothing stands out. No response on the Oculus forums either. I am starting to believe it's simply an oversight from Oculus.

JoeStrout likes this.