Search Unity

Turn Based Multiplayer Solution?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by indie6, Nov 24, 2016.

1. indie6

indie6

Hi,

Instead of rolling out my own server for a turn based multiplayer game primarily for android and iOS, which paid and not so expensive server-based solution is available? Photon?

2. JACLEMGO

JACLEMGO

3. aer0ace

aer0ace

I am currently exploring Photon for a turn based strategy game. Looks like I'll also be checking out GameSparks.

4. GameSparksDave

GameSparksDave

Hey Guys! Straight out the gate, i work at Gamesparks!

I have used Photon extensively in the past, while it is a nice simple robust system, ideal for prototyping, it lacks all of the quality of life features that a live game needs.

Features such as data persistance, achievements, leader boards, segements, analytics, uploadables, downloadables, live ops, experiments, serverside logic, iaps, messaging, real time as well as turnbased multiplayer, third party integrations for services like paypal/stripe/push notifications, theres even an integration for QQ and i had to google that to find out what that was :) and more besides.

We have extensive documentation, examples, and SDKs for every major platform including Playstation, xbox, and Steam!

I actually found Gamesparks myself while making a small turn based tactics project, intending to build it around the Gamesparks Challenge system. Im obviously biased, no doubt :) but come check us out, myself and the rest of the team provide great support, for free! unlike PlayFab, and the pricing model is waaaaaaaaay better than Photons or Unitys own for that matter!

Check out out Indie and Student package here, we offer 100,000 monthly active users for free! and a really good deal on MAUs after that 100,000.

Come check us out!

See you on the forums!

-Dave

5. tobiass

tobiass

In our experience, 200k monthly active players (e.g.) will more or less peak at about 500 Concurrent Users (CCU). With Photon pricing, this is covered by $95/monthly, including some overage for safety.
    I think I'm not getting where your "pricing model is waaaaaaaaay better" but thanks for trying ;)

Turnbased games can be done with any networking solution. If you want/need persistence, you will want some service to store the game and player-info. Photon can be combined with PlayFab, other solutions and even your own player community. Maybe that's not everyone's "one stop" solution but some do like that.

DBarlok and aer0ace like this.