Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Help Wanted Turn based multiplayer from scratch (no PlayFab)

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by gdebojyoti, Apr 27, 2021.

1. gdebojyoti

gdebojyoti

I work as a web developer, and I recently acquired a new hobby - game development.

I tried making some small games - top down shooters, basic platformers - just to get a feel of the Unity Engine.
    Now I want to try my hand at creating a basic turn based multiplayer board game - something like Uno or Ludo or a card game.

I had initially tried such a project using web technologies. At that time, I was able to achieve the same thing by running Socket IO on a NodeJS server.
    The clients connected to that server using JS.

How do I achieve similar functionality in my Unity game? Most of the tutorials involve PlayFab or some other service.
    I don't want to use them.
    I am not looking for any advanced features.
    All I want is to write some basic server side code that I can host on an EC2 instance (or something similar) that my Unity clients (standalone / webgl) can connect to and communicate with in real time.

I don't want to end up using a ton of boilerplate code from existing plugins (like Mirror).

2. g_a_p

g_a_p

unityunity