Search Unity

1. New Unity Live Help updates. Check them out here!

Dismiss Notice

Turkish Culture missing characters

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by futurlab_xbox, Mar 26, 2020.

1. futurlab_xbox

futurlab_xbox

Hi all,

We currently use TextMeshPro and i2 localization to show text in our game. We target a few languages, but don't support Turkish. However, if we set an xbox one to Turkish and play the game, the game correctly defaults to English. However, I'm guessing the culture on the device is being set to Turkish. We get these strange results in some of our text, where we expect a capital i (see image).

Do you know what might be causing this issue? During the generate font atlas process, we include characters scanned from all the text we find in the localisation document. None of the localisation text is in Turkish because we don't support it.

Do you know if this problem lies with the way text mesh pro is rendering the text with culture in mind, or I2 with the way it's getting the text from our localisation?

Matt

Attached Files:

2. futurlab_xbox

futurlab_xbox

Does anyone have any ideas?

3. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

Looks like one of the characters is missing from the font asset / fallback chain. Easiest way to figure that out if to add one dynamic font asset as fallback in there (one that contains Turkish characters and that will tell you what unicode that is and hopefully provide more insight on what is going on.

BTW: Do you know what character is missing?

4. futurlab_xbox

futurlab_xbox

Hi Stephan,

That's what so curious about this. We have english strings ("Show Hints") being rendered perfectly when the xbox one is set to english. But when the xbox one is set to Turkish, we still default to english localisation, containing the normal letter 'i' (in h_i_nts) shows as missing. It's strange.

Because the "hints" letter i isn't Turkish, I'm confused. And this only seems to happen on xbox one but not on ps4, switch or PC.

unityunity