Search Unity

Turboscalpeur's Grass Forum

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by turboscalpeur, Apr 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

About the Grass Textures, these are only Diffuse Maps; in the next Updates (RUSTIC Grass and FERNS World at the moment), you will have some Grounds & some others new features with Normal, AO, Height and Specular Maps; Some others Maps should be added too.

2. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

What does "Grounds & some others new features" mean?
    Will you update the current assets with these maps, or will they stay only diffuse?

3. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

This could be more explicit:

So, new Grass Billboards (only Diffuse Maps), 5 Grounds with Diffuse, AO, Height, Normal and Specular Maps (some extra Maps should be added), some Leaves Grounds (Diffuse, AO and Normal Maps) and Leaves Particles (only Diffuse Maps) will be added on the next Update of the RUSTIC Grass and MORE!!

I can't spoil too much now, so you can buy it now it will be a free upgrade but the original price will grow.

I don't spoil too anymore about the FERNS World update, but it will be the same, I mean readjustments, new Features, new Ferns etc..

EDIT: I have deleted the video linked in this reply to make another new better ones later; to see what changing about the Assets, please refer to the last posts in the Thread.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Mark_01 and docsavage like this.
  4. DonKnotts

DonKnotts

Thanks, this clears it up nicely. Now that I know for sure I'm probably going to look at some other assets as well.

docsavage likes this.
  5. Devon-L

Devon-L

Hi All,
    I just got both of these awesome grass packs. But my stomach is churning thinking about how much time it will take add each grass texture using "Edit Details -> Add Grass Texture".

Sorry if this has already been answered but is there a quick way to bulk add multiple grass textures?

Edit
    ** Actually never mind. I just wrote my own script to do it for me. The joys of coding ;)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    turboscalpeur likes this.
  6. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hi,
    Thanks!

You found the way using a custom script, this is quite interesting!

To win still even more performances and using less Grass Textures with the same number of Billboards you want to use,
    I'm doing this for example (can be used as simple Grass Texture or with a Plane or so & some will be added on the updates):

2 Billboards from the RUSTIC Grass coupled in an only one 2K .psd file with the same height this time:

Or 4 Billboards coupled in a 4Kx2K .psd file with a different height, which can be used rightly with Planes and/or with a Custom Shader:

Or to make it still even more harmonious in-game mixing it in one file too:

The way of atlasing is very very important if you use a large number of grasses then in very wide areas, so I would ever recommend to create your own Textures Atlas using different Grass Textures, it needs some works but it will save you a bunch of Performances :).

Willbkool_FPCS and Devon-L like this.
  7. ZygoUgo

ZygoUgo

Hi there, love your work, I have all the packs which are excellent, except that for some reason Rustic Grass has messed up textures, they're all smudged out as though they are extended beyond their cut out shapes. I've tried re-importing it but still the same smudged textures. Could the problem be your end or mine? Thanks for any help :)

8. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hi @ZygoUgo and thanks !

Nope at all, the RUSTIC Grass Asset is the most advanced Asset in term of Textures build/quality until today; so I would want to know more about your uses with it, as simple billboards, how many, and/or others (with Planes, which shaders..)? which are the others Assets used within'? Any screens?

You can PM me if you don't mind here or via my mail, I will be happy to help you in your projects tomorrow or so.

9. ZygoUgo

ZygoUgo

Hi, thanks for your interest :) I am using them as simple sprites, plus adding them into Paintshop Pro as picture tubes so that they are produced randomly as I paint. Again the final image is used as a simple sprite. I shall get some pictures of the problem and how I am using them ;)
    Rustic Grass Example.png Plants Use Example.png

10. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hello @ZygoUgo !

If you are using the RUSTIC Grass Textures as Sprites, you will have to delete first the dilated copies and the background colors in a 2D Soft as showed below for example in Photoshop:

1.Open your Texture:

2.Go to the Channels, stay in the RGB Channels and Select from the Alpha channel (Ctrl + Left Mouse Click in Ps) your Texture:

3.When selected, copy and paste still from the RVB Channels (Ctrl + C & Ctrl + V in Ps); then you can now going back to your Layers, you should have 2 layers as below:

4.Just delete the first opened one Layer and keep the new one you just created (Layer 1 in Ps):

5.You have now the same Texture with it's own Alpha Channel:

You are done now, you can flat the Layer and Saving it in any right Format File you want, then using it as Sprite in Unity :)

11. ZygoUgo

ZygoUgo

Hey Turbo, brilliant, thankyou very much, I shall get processing ;)

12. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Just checked the Sprites in the Unity 5.6.3f1 without changing the Texture in Photoshop (Allium_01.psd here) from the Asset only changed the Import Settings from Default to Sprite, applied and dragged one Allium, everything seems ok if used as a "static object" as well in Scene than in Game:

If your problem persist, pm me with some more precisions about which Unity Version you are using, what are your Import Settings Specs and your Uses Specs too.

13. ZygoUgo

ZygoUgo

That's great, super helpful! Thanks again!

14. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

I'm currently updating my Grass Textures Assets, both HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1 & 2 (v.1.6) have been already released, you can refer to the Version Release Notes in the Assets to see what are the changes before updating or buying.

Links of the Assets

HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1: http://u3d.as/cjF

HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.2: http://u3d.as/gpj

Mark_01 likes this.
  15. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

I have submitted yesterday a part of the major RUSTIC Grass Update which will be the v.1.1.

v.1.1:

Uploaded in Unity 5.0.0f4

-Price is 17.50 $;
    -20 New Grass Textures have been added;
    -5 Grounds Textures with their Maps (AO, Height, Normal & Specular) added;
    -Most of the empties spaces in the Grass Textures Layers removed;
    -New Terrains Demos with Lighting Built (you can remove it or updating it depending of your Project and the Unity Engine Version you are using);
    -This new release will not overwrite the v.1.0, you should remove the v.1.0 first before uploading this one; Paths Names have been resettled in order to get a better architecture and to plan overwritting for the next Updates.

Some new Screenshots:

Link of the Assets used in the Screenshots

Link of the Asset
    : http://u3d.as/DVZ

NeatWolf, JBT27, sarum and 4 others like this.
  16. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Is Ferns world next? :)

17. runningbird

runningbird

Any updates on GX Extensions for Gaia?

18. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Yes, but as well as the RUSTIC Grass it will be first a part of the major Update of it.

Just to mention, I will jump again to the next Updates just after to make them full as most of the features are already done but still need some works; as too compatibilities with others Assets.

Since long time I waiting for a fix in the Gaia's curves to make the GX eXtensions working great which were already done (mostly the HQs Volumes) more than one year earlier; on the same time I found when Gaia 2.0 coming if fixed, would be very happy to make the eXtensions!

antoripa and AndyNeoman like this.
  19. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

20. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

21. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Any ETA on ferns update I am finalising ,y game for Vegetation studio release and i would love to put the new assets of ferns world in there as it is tropical rain forest based with ferns playing a large role.

22. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Interesting;

I can say one month to submit the new Update of FERNS World on the AS; Sending you a PM.

AndyNeoman likes this.
  23. Mark_01

Mark_01

@turboscalpeur Grasses and ferns I have wanted for a long time.
    I am happy to say I am finally the proud owner of all your grass and fern packs now :)

One thing that impresses me is that good developers are fairly easy to spot. The people that
    care about Unity and the community in general. And I like to support these developers when I can.

And maybe, just maybe, next year , I will be finally post some pictures as well .
    Besides a few other things, I picked up all the remaining
    @Shawn67 Stamp packs for Gaia as well !! ( I hope its okay to post a reference here )

I hope the sale goes well for you and wishing you a early happy seasons greeting's!! :)

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  24. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Thanks @Mark_01 for the kind words !!

Yes yes !! I will be proud to see your Screenshots from your Projects using my Grasses with the @Shawn67 Stamps Packs coupled to Gaia in the Thread :)

BackwoodsGaming and Mark_01 like this.
  25. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

FYI, I picked up Rustic Grass today, and after installing (on Unity 5.6.4p2) I'm getting a hard stop error on a script that I assume is for the demo scene that can't be cleared. It reads:

Assets/RUSTIC Grass/Scripts/ExtendedFlycam.cs(4,14): error CS0101: The namespace `global::' already contains a definition for `ExtendedFlycam'

26. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

You probably have 2 ExtendedFlycam.cs files. Just delete one.

27. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Yes, as mentioned by Lennart you just have to remove or reedit one of the "ExtendedFlycam.cs", better removing one if you use both the RUSTIC Grass and Vegetation Studio;

I will change this on the next RUSTIC Grass Update to not conflict on.

trilobyteme likes this.
  28. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Some news of the FERNS World next Update;
    I'm currently achieving the 1st part of the Ferns Models which will be mostly the European Ferns apart for some exceptions;
    In the 2nd part, (so in 2 Updates) you will get the Tropical Areas Ferns Models too;

Grounds and some Basics Rocks are going to be added too in it to fit better the Ferns;

Here are some Screens examples using current grounds, rocks and ferns of FERNS World next release + VS + some others Assets to give you an idea (Link below this Post); in this Scene I have only used 6 ferns Models (there are a lot of more) + their Atlased Maps + their LODs:

Even if these are ALL European Ferns, I must admit there is a kind of "Tropical" feeling in it..

Page Description of all the Assets used in this Scene

FERNS World

29. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Man! I hate it when Unity quits emailing me notifications for some threads! Missed a lot of great stuff! Love the new ferns screenshots! I can't wait to play with them! And all the updates photos. I always love your screenshots with lush vegetation, @turboscalpeur!

And @Mark_01, thanks for the mention. Would love to see any screens people take of their scenes using my stamps in my thread as well. Turbo's grasses in them are always a bonus! I'm looking forward to seeing what type of pack you come up with after finishing all of your updates, @turboscalpeur!

Mark_01 and turboscalpeur like this.
  30. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

It is the same for me !! I must often take care at some Forums too, because I don't get strangely anymore all the times the mentions...

Yes, you will love them for sure I mean all the new Ferns and about the future, I have already easily 5 years of new work to do :)

All my materials for working have been updated as Cameras, Softs, a part of the Computers...so just really positive evolving in the new work methods mostly when it is well done ;)

31. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

A well written and useful Article, I wanted to share for those whose still didn't have readen it from Eastshade Studios about their Foliage work Optimisation/Customisation in Unity:

http://www.eastshade.com/foliage-optimization-in-unity/

For those building Games or so, you will find in this Article, some Importants TIPS/Steps on how optimise & performing well your Projects (to make really shorty);

Just read this Article !!!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  32. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

Thanks for the info, as well as the info (and fantastic pics) about the ferns set.

Mark_01 and turboscalpeur like this.
  33. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hi,

It will take still some more delays to me to update the FERNS World Asset, I'm currently improving all the Models and adding/updating some more new features;

See you in 2018 !
    turboscalpeur

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  34. Mark_01

Mark_01

WOW very nice !!! Good things take time :) Very worth waiting for. Have a Happy New's Year's :)

35. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Mark_01 likes this.
  36. swredcam

swredcam

I am working with Ferns World, but there are no meshes. It seems this has been discussed at some length on this thread. Has it still not happened yet? I really need to have a mix of billboard and meshes. Do users really go out and build their own meshes typically?

37. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

snailscalpeur answered this on the 8th of june

"Hello ! be sure it will be updated as soon as possible."

Since then i bought nothing more from him and also do not wait anymore.

38. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hi, New Assets with exclusively Models & some others features are in production from my side; As mentioned on my latest informations Reply #287 just above, I can't give any ETA at the moment, but it is on a good way.

#287 Reply : "It will take still some more delays to me to update the FERNS World Asset, I'm currently improving all the Models and adding/updating some more new features;"

Just written above on the last informations I gave on the Forum.
    Sometimes, when we are following a Thread, it is good to reading it too carefully.

39. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1 & 2 v.1.7, FERNS World v.1.3 and RUSTIC Grass v.1.2 have been submitted tonight on Unity 5.0.0f4;

Versions Changes:
    Structure Paths names of the Pack have been changed to make compatibility with latest Unity versions as: Turboscalpeur/HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1/ .
    Turboscalpeur/HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.2/ .
    This update will not overwrite previous versions.
    3 Grounds Textures have been updated on each Pack with new Maps to get full PBR Support.

Structure Paths names of the Pack have been changed to make compatibility with latest Unity versions as:
    Turboscalpeur/FERNS World/ .
    20 Ferns Blades have been added.
    Now 5 Grounds Textures have been updated with new Maps to get full PBR Support.
    Price is now 12.50$.

Structure Paths names of the Pack have been changed to make compatibility with latest Unity versions as: Turboscalpeur/RUSTIC Grass/ .
    The 5 Grounds Textures have been updated with new Maps to get full PBR Support.
    The FlyCam script have been modified to not conflict with anothers same scripts.

Now working achieving 3D Assets. Enjoy!

turboscalpeur

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  40. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hi, new versions of HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1 & 2, FERNS World and RUSTIC Grass have been released.

camta005, docsavage, Mark_01 and 3 others like this.
  41. joedartjr

joedartjr

Imported the newest versions of HQ packs 1 and 2, built a simple scene and ran a 4K Helios on it. This was the result without editing those shots (other than a 50% resolution reduction so it would upload). Really great work, I'll build one with the new fern world and post too. Really impressed with how easily these can make such a dramatic difference.

Attached Files:

42. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hi,
    Thanks for posting it out here !!

TanselAltinel likes this.
  43. docsavage

docsavage

Still top class vegetation for bargain prices :)

Thanks for the updates

Mark_01, turboscalpeur and hopeful like this.
  44. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

FERNS World v.1.3 have been reuploaded, the Terrain.asset was missing, now it is fine.

45. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

FERNS World v.1.35 and RUSTIC Grass v.1.25 have been submitted to fix the Demos Datas.
    It will not overwritte the previous Demos Folders Versions.

Best,
    Turboscalpeur

docsavage, Mark_01 and camta005 like this.
  46. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

@turboscalpeur I am used to using prefabs for my environment assets and I see most of yours are image files. How would I use with this Unity terrains?

47. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

You can add grass to a Unity Terrain as either a mesh or a Texture. You get this option when you click the Edit Details button on the terrain. It might have changed a little bit with the new terrains but the options should still be there somewhere.

camta005 and SickaGames1 like this.
  48. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hi @SickaGamer, as mentioned rightly you can use the Grasses Textures simply in 2D on Unity Terrains with any others Assets or using coupled 3D planes to simulate a kind of "3D" in Unity; for example the Grass Patch Generator in the Vegetation Studio Asset does well the job.

49. Suiheisen

Suiheisen

hello, i have a question, in my project your textures look not so detailed like in your pictures you show here, can you help me to get the same result?

Attached Files:

50. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hello, to help you better, please have a look on each Screenshots descriptions in Flickr to see which Assets have been used to make the Scenes;

For example, I'm linking you one:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/turboscalpeur/26235762409/in/album-72157674648053005/

Below the Screenshot, you can see all the Assets used in description, post effects helps a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.