Search Unity

Turbo Switch PRO - Fast and save platform switches

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stefan-Laubenberger, Oct 5, 2016.

1. phongle669455

phongle669455

Shoot I missed the sale. Do you have an idea of when the next sale will be?

I've got a question regarding AssetBundles. Since an Addressable's build target is the target platform this is irrelevant.
    Given this example:
    1) Current build setting is set to PC.
    2) I want to create an AssetBundle for Android

Will TurboSwitch's cache be able to work for this manner? In regards to using the TurboSwitch's Android cache to build the Android AssetBundle while the Target Build is still on PC. Without having to switch Build Target to Android, create Android AssetBundle, then switching Build Target back to PC.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  2. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

Unfortunately, Unity doesn't tell us anything about upcoming sales - but I assume the next big thing will be on "Black Friday"...

Anyway, I think your case should work with our asset. The worst case is that you still have to switch to Android, but it will only take a few seconds instead of minutes or even hours.

Cheers
    Stefan

3. jperman8

jperman8

Hi, I've been trying to use Turbo builder/switch for over the last 2 months (it was working in previous versions no problem), but I keep getting compiler errors.

I upgraded today, but I keep getting blocked by similar compiler errors in the Util, whether using builder or switcher
    (ie Assets\Plugins\crosstales\TurboBuilder\Editor\Util\Helper.cs(891,1): error CS1022: Type or namespace definition, or end-of-file expected).

I have paid/downloaded/imported latest version fresh install on latest version of Unity, running on the latest version of windows 10. This error occurs directly after importing.

Would be great to at least know some temporary work arounds.

4. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

The fixes for both assets will be in the store tomorrow.
    However, if you like to have access right now, please send me an email with the invoice(s).

So long
    Stefan

5. jperman8

jperman8

Thank you so much for the extremely timely reply, I can run it again, those issues are now gone.

Thanks again!

6. jperman8

jperman8

Also, while it's not fatal, on my current setup I get this showing up in the command prompt on every build, and it really clutters up the console. See attached image (get begin layout group error after a build is finished, etc).

Attached Files:

7. jperman8

jperman8

On an unrelated note, I was wondering if there is somehow an option to change the date format?
    I use the attach a date to folder (very handy feature btw), but it's hard to work with since the default format has date first. If there was a simple way to have the date use a more standard iso 8601 format or something?

So instead of this:
    MyApp_webgl_16-10-2020-12-39-17

The significantly easier to navigate (and be sorted in folder view) through explorer windows format like (or similar)
    MyApp_webgl_2020-10-16-12:39:07

If there isn't a way to do this as of yet, then probably just an iso 8601 tick box or something would be much appreciated (a format specifier or something is too much haha)

8. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hello again

We will fix the layout issues and implement ISO 8601 as standard format for the builds in the next update.

Stay tuned,
    Stefan

firstuser and jperman8 like this.
  9. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

I switched from xbox to PC and in PC target the defines where still same as Xbox, hence a lot of issues in console, I had to swich manually back to xbox and then back to PC.
    Also I've noticed my backups have increased a lot in size sinze I installed this asset, I guess it duplicates library or similar.

Is there a way to flush all the data asset generates for fast switches?

10. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

Yes, TPS make a copy of the "Library" for every platform - this is the reason your backup is bigger.
    You could exclude the "TPS_cache"-folder or choose another destination outside of the project.
    To remove the stored files, go to the "Config"-tab and click on "Delete Cache".

I hope this helps you further.

Cheers
    Stefan

TokyoWarfareProject likes this.
  11. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

Funny enough the path "F:\SwitchCache\TPS_cache\" was outside my project folder, gonna delete the library and let it rebuilding overnight because its like 30gb appeared form nowhere

12. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

@Stefan-Laubenberger Will Turbo Switch Pro go on sale this Black Friday? I've been debating whether I should buy it or not, but if it is on sale I will buy it.

13. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

Thank you for your interest in our asset!

The "BoSS"-sale is imho "Black Friday"...
    Unfortunately, Turbo Switch isn't part of it. :(

Stay safe,
    Stefan

14. Thomukas1

Thomukas1

Hi, I would like to buy Turbo Switch to be able to switch between android and windows (VR game). I was wondering if it works alright even if I use universal render pipeline? thanks!

15. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

Thank you for your interest in Turbo Switch!
    Our asset is completely independent from the render pipelines.

Stay safe,
    Stefan

16. novaVision

novaVision

After updating project from 2019.3 to 2020.1.17, switching between iOS and Android platforms I always receive this error

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assertion failed on expression: 'ins.second || ins.first->second == targetHash || (ins.first->second == CircularDependencyHash() && !targetHash.IsValid()) || GetPathFromAssetGuidV2(key.GetGUID()).ends_with(".cs")'
    2. UnityEditor.EditorUserBuildSettings:SwitchActiveBuildTarget(BuildTargetGroup, BuildTarget)
    3. Crosstales.TPS.Util.Helper:SwitchPlatformNew(BuildTarget, MobileTextureSubtarget) (at Assets/Plugins/crosstales/TurboSwitch/Editor/Util/Helper.cs:396)
    4. Crosstales.TPS.Switcher:Switch(BuildTarget, MobileTextureSubtarget) (at Assets/Plugins/crosstales/TurboSwitch/Editor/Switcher.cs:67)
    5. Crosstales.TPS.EditorIntegration.ConfigBase:drawAction(BuildTarget, Texture) (at Assets/Plugins/crosstales/TurboSwitch/Editor/Integration/ConfigBase.cs:1183)
    6. Crosstales.TPS.EditorIntegration.ConfigBase:drawColumnAction() (at Assets/Plugins/crosstales/TurboSwitch/Editor/Integration/ConfigBase.cs:1027)
    7. Crosstales.TPS.EditorIntegration.ConfigBase:drawContent() (at Assets/Plugins/crosstales/TurboSwitch/Editor/Integration/ConfigBase.cs:1309)
    8. Crosstales.TPS.EditorIntegration.ConfigBase:showSwitch() (at Assets/Plugins/crosstales/TurboSwitch/Editor/Integration/ConfigBase.cs:226)
    9. Crosstales.TPS.EditorIntegration.ConfigWindow:OnGUI() (at Assets/Plugins/crosstales/TurboSwitch/Editor/Integration/ConfigWindow.cs:63)
    10. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)
    Also background tasks is not completing after that. It's 2D project, there is no lighting at all and nothing to bake. Seems the error above interrupts some internal Unity processes.

Background Tasks 2020-12-21 12-25-12.png

The only solution - restart Unity

17. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

It seems you are using an older version of TPS - can you please update to 2020.4.7 and try it again?

So long,
    Stefan

18. novaVision

novaVision

I think you need to explain, how can I do it. I have the latest version in UPM, which can't be imported. Even removing the asset completely doesn't work
    1.png

19. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hmm, I seldom use UPM since I still mainly work with Unity 2018.4 :(

Deleting the asset does not work - does it install 2020.2.4?
    What happens if you delete it, close Unity and then delete "Library\PackageCache"?
    Afterwards, import it again.

Does that help?

20. novaVision

novaVision

No that didn't help, but removing downloaded asset from `/Users/{user}/Library/Unity/Asset Store-5.x` and downloading it again solved the problem. Seems some bug with UPM

Stefan-Laubenberger likes this.
  21. WolveX

WolveX

Hi Stefan,
    Is it possible to have the TPS_Cache shared by multiple Unity projects, I have multiple workspaces for the same project but each one is on different changeset on source control (PlasticSCM)?

22. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

You could do that by setting a "Custom Path":
    upload_2021-1-11_15-2-31.png

WolveX likes this.
  23. WolveX

WolveX

Thank you for your quick reply, yes I noticed this option but was thinking it is only to use separate disk for cache folder, so I just wanted to make sure that TPS_Cache can be shared by multiple projects.

One more question, what is the best practice for upgrading the project to newer Unity version, for example if I want to upgrade from Unity 2018.4 to Unity 2019.4, can TPS handle the upgrade?

Currently I have few projects and I am working on upgrading each one to Unity 2019, so I have the same project one opened in Unity 2018 and one opened in Unity 2019 (to compare the performance and graphics quality), in that case can I use the same TPS_Cache folder for both projects?

I know this maybe a rare scenario but if it is supported it will be awsome!

24. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hello again

You should only have one cache per project. You certainly can use one disk for all caches, but please create a folder for every project, like "D:\MyProject1\TPS_Cache" and "D:\MyProject2\TPS_Cache" etc.

Furthermore, please don't use the same cache folder for different Unity versions - TPS stores the AssetDatabase which is not compatible between 2018 and 2019.

Cheers
    Stefan

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    WolveX likes this.
  25. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Hi there!
    I finally purchased this along with the rest of your Turbo Things™ but it isn't actually caching anything.
    I mean: TPS PRO windows says there IS a cache, but the actual folder it created is empty.
    It creates \TPS_cache\Android_ASTC and \TPS_cache\StandaloneWindows64 but they are empty (even though the TPS window says there is lots of gigabytes cached).
    Sure enough, when I switch platforms using the TPS PRO window, it reimports everything every time.
    So... what gives?

Unity 2020.3.14f1 LTS
    Latest version of Turbo Switch (checked updates)

26. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi atomicjoe

Thank you for investing into our Turbo Things™ ;)

Since AssetDatabase V2 (Unity 2019+), we measured no longer any significant speed improvements with TPS and therefore decided to use Unity's default cache. We basically just mimic the original features...
    But maybe, we should give it another try and measure again with 2020+. How long does it typically take you to do the switch (with re-import)?

Cheers
    Stefan

27. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Soooo... it's not doing anything??
    Well, that's awkward... I would like a refund please.

28. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

It's stated in the description:
    upload_2021-7-15_1-27-1.png
    You still get the benefit of all the CLI-integrations and so on.
    Anyway, just send me the invoice via email and I will issue a refund for the asset.

Cheers
    Stefan

firstuser likes this.
  29. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Thank you very much.
    Email sent.

30. astracat111

astracat111

Hey there, I'd like to try out this asset as I have a large project and I need to get it working on Android to get it working with the Oculus Quest 2.

The problem is, to test using OpenXR and the Oculus Quest 2 in the editor, you're required to be in Windows, Linear color space, Direct3D11 and have 'Oculus' selected under 'OpenXR - > Play Mode OpenXR Runtime'.

Every time I switch to Linear to Gamma....jeeze I have to wait like maybe 30+ minutes for the library to rebuild.

Then if I switch the scripting backend...once again, library rebuild over 30+ minutes.

I'm using Unity 2021. Is this a solution for this type of thing?

31. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

Thank you for your interest in our tool!

Unfortunately, the current version won't help you much, but we are working on an update to re-enable the "turbo switch" capability for Unity 2020 and newer.
    We can't give an ETA on this, but we expect it to be ready until autum 2021.

Cheers
    Stefan

32. Invant

Invant

Hello

I am using 5.6.3 version of Unity.
    Currently, the latest version of TSP is not available because it does not support version 5.6.3.

Can you deliver me the final version that supports Unity 5.6.3?

33. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

We can't do a backport to Unity 5.6.3 since the minimum version is 2018.4.
    If you send me your your invoice via email, I can give you access to an older version which should work with Unity 5.6.

Cheers
    Stefan

34. Invant

Invant

Thank you.

I sent you an invoice.

35. bladerunner69008

bladerunner69008

Hello,
    I have jus bought this nice Asset

In my code, I can't access using Crosstales.TPS;

The type or namespace name 'TPS' does not exist in the namespace 'Crosstales' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Why ?I have imported the full asset, latest version
    Running Unity 2020.LTS

36. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

Thank you for investing into our asset!

Are you trying to access it from within an Editor script? Because TPS only works inside Unity.

So long,
    Stefan

37. bladerunner69008

bladerunner69008

Just inside Unity but scripts were into placed in the Editor folder, ok now

Also they are many config settings on the Turbo Switch PRO Window but where to find detailed explanation about them ? The PDF is not helping here. Ex: Method after Switch

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  38. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Normally there should be a tooltip on every option.
    "Method after Switch" and so on can be fully qualified static methods from your code which are being called.
    You could also use events for that, please see the "EventTester".

39. mgstauff

mgstauff

Hi, just trying TSP now, with unity 2018.4.14.
    FYI I started a platform switch from your window, and got the unity editor prompt to save/not save/cancel changes to my project. I chose cancel to review what had been changed during the package install, but TSP shut down unity anyway and is doing its thing. Is this expected? You may not be able to intercept the cancel event, but if you can it'd help if it cancelled the whole closing of unity and TPS process.

40. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

I sent you an email which reacts to the users decision in the save dialog.

Cheers
    Stefan

41. Philkrom

Philkrom

Hello
    I just upgraded my Unity version of a project to U2021, and now when I try to switch to Android (from Standalone Windows) I get the message Application.Shutdown.CleanupMono - Waiting for Unity's code do tinish executing and nothing more happens, Unity doesn't restart.

Any idea ?

Best regards
    Philippe

Edit : I found this topic : https://forum.unity.com/threads/application-shutdown-cleanupmono-never-finishes.1118140/ but it doesn't solve the issue.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  42. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi Philippe

Can you please disable "Legacy Mode" in the configuration from TPS?
    Does that help?

Cheers
    Stefan

43. Philkrom

Philkrom

Sorry I didn't see your message, and YES it works fine if Legacy mode disabled ! Thanks a lot.

44. havokentity

havokentity

Hello Stefan,

I would like to know if there is any improvement in build time for the new AssetDatabase as I use Unity 2020.3+. If there's no improvement what other features can you highlight that would still make the asset useful in your opinion (Will using it with Turbo Builder be beneficial? Or is Turbo Builder alone enough? )

Thank you

45. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

As long as you don't use the CLI (e.g. for CI) then Turbo Builder is enough.
    It seems Unity did a great job with the AssetDatabase V2 - we didn't manage to be faster than Unity in our tests ;)

Cheers
    Stefan

46. havokentity

havokentity

I would like to use the CLI so am considering getting Turbo Switcher as well, if you could point me to any documentation resources for the same, that would be great.

I am assuming CLI would allow me to write automation scripts to run switches etc? If you don't mind could you elaborate a little on how the CLI could be used? And What is CI?

Thank you

47. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Please take a look at chapter 5 of the documentation:
    https://crosstales.com/media/data/assets/tps/TurboSwitch-doc.pdf

CI means "continious integration", like automated test of repo pushes etc.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    havokentity likes this.
  48. jperman8

jperman8

Hi, as a user of both TSP and TBP for over 2 years, I love the product, except for the fact that when I place the assets into a 'ThirdParty' subfolder (like I always do keep external seperate from my home grown game/framework code - and never have any issues with any of the dozens others I've done this too), it seems to struggle finding lot's of icons - and spams those warnings (a couple thousand times usually after reimport all) dozens of times when opening editor, or any of the builder/switcher menus.

I assume this is due to a hardcoded relative file path somewhere, so was wondering if this could be fixed, as it's annoying enough that I hadn't been using it for a while, but would like to again.

Let me know if more clarification is needed,

Thanks,
    Jeff

Attached Files:

49. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi Jeff

I assume you also deleted the "Editor Default Resources"-folder in the process, or am I wrong?
    This folder is the correct location for Editor resources (e.g. icons) - it ensures nothing from that folder ends up in builds.
    For more, please see the documentation: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SpecialFolders.html

To restore it, re-import the assets.

Cheers
    Stefan

50. jperman8

jperman8

Yes, just moving the editor default resource from when I moved the rest of the folders to the asset root was sufficient.
    Thank you!