Search Unity

Turbo Switch PRO - Fast and save platform switches

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stefan-Laubenberger, Oct 5, 2016.

1. bobgtv

bobgtv

I'm using 2019.2.5f1.

Like I said, I'm not sure if what I experienced is a TSP issue or a Unity issue. Some other plugins I use (Unity IAP, NGUI, Anti Cheat Toolkit) also do things with the asset database. Anti Cheat toolkit is especially touchy when I change platforms and causes a lot of reloading/reimporting.

2. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Thank you for the details, we will investigate the strange behaviour.

So long,
    Stefan

3. RobAtApex

RobAtApex

Just upgraded to 2019.4.3 from quite an old version. Removed all the old TPS folders first and deleted cache, and restarted Unity after upgrading. But noticing a few issues.

Looks like this, with no icons on buttons or anywhere and buttons misaligned:

Getting warnings every frame:

But I can see that those icons exist at crosstales\TurboSwitch\Icons. Is it looking in the old TPS folder instead or something?

Using Unity 2019.2.5

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  4. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

Please hit "Play" or restart Unity and the issue should be gone.

Cheers
    Stefan

5. RobAtApex

RobAtApex

No, it still looks the same after restarting Unity multiple times and rebooting the whole computer.

6. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

Please delete the "TurboSwitch" (or "TPS") folder under "Assets/Editor Default Resources" and re-import the asset.
    Does that help?

Cheers
    Stefan

7. RobAtApex

RobAtApex

Sorry, no difference.

There was a folder "<Project>/Assets/Editor Default Resources/crosstales/TurboSwitch", but it was empty. I tried deleting it anyway.

There was also "<Project>/TPS_Cache" which had a cached iOS folder. Config shows that this is the cache being used. I emptied this TPS_Cache folder as well.

Reimported all assets. TurboSwitch window still looks the same though. I switched to iOS (wait half an hour) then back to standalone Windows (wait again). Window still looks the same.

I think it works, it's just that the UI doesn't show any icons at all.

8. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

This is strange :(

Is there a folder called "Assets/Plugins/crosstales/TurboSwitch/Icons"?
    If so, please open it and move the icons to "Assets/Editor Default Resources/crosstales/TurboSwitch" (without the "Icons"-folder").

Does that help?

9. RobAtApex

RobAtApex

Yep that fixed it! I found the folder you mentioned and moved the icons. The ""Assets/Editor Default Resources/crosstales" folder existed, but the TurboSwitch subfolder did not, so I created that and moved the icons in there. Seems to be working now.

Thanks!

10. rroylance

rroylance

@Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi, love the asset; literally makes my switch take only a few minutes vs several hours... however I found an issue that makes the plugin unusable.

My example (do not have time to setup a barebones project at this time);
    - Installed TPS in existing project
    - Used TPS to switch between my needed platforms to create the caches
    - Stay on one of them and add scripts to some of my prefabs, all works fine
    - Switch to another platform via TPS
    - Changes to the prefabs are still present on the prefab asset however the actual run time instantiated version is missing the changes I made while on the other platform
    - Switching back to the platform where the changes were made and the run time instantiated version is as expected
    - Use Unity to switch platforms back to the platform where the changes were not made (aside from taking several hours to switch) things work just fine and the updated prefabs are being instantiated as expected

If you can fix this I'll more than happily start using TPS once again!

Thanks!

11. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

We will investigate this further; are you using our latest version 2019.5.0?
    Which is your Unity version and OS?

Meanwhile, please use the "Legacy mode" in the configuration:
    upload_2019-10-16_14-51-25.png

Does that help?

Cheers
    Stefan

12. rroylance

rroylance

Sorry, should have provided those details...

TPS Version: 2019.5.0
    Unity Version: 2018.4.4f1

Can't check to see if Legacy Mode will help at the moment, will let you know soon.

Thanks.

13. rroylance

rroylance

Hmm. I'm having trouble replicating now that I've already used Unity to switch and done some more work. I tried a fresh install of TPS and creating a new script to add to a prefab but it seems to be working as expected now (followed the same procedure as I had before, just with a super simple script that just print to the console). No idea what happened before but it must've been a very specific set of actions (the issue persisted between Unity restarts, computer restarts, TPS platform switches, etc... and the only thing that solved it was using Unity to switch).

I'll have to keep an eye out for the issue again.

14. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Were you using the "Legacy mode" for your test?

15. rroylance

rroylance

Didn't need to. After I setup my testing example I wanted to confirm the issue first so I used normal mode to switch and it didn't occur and I couldn't get it to happen again. So unless it happens again for some reason I won't be able to know if Legacy Mode would solve it.

16. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Sounds good, please let me know if it happens again.

Cheers
    Stefan

17. BenoitFreslon

BenoitFreslon

Hello,

I got an issue with Turbo Switch Pro 2019.5.0

Sometimes, if I modify a prefab on my Android Build, then I can't see the modifications when I switch to iOS and vise versa.

I need to delete the Library folder in order to get to last modified prefab.
    So the Turbo Switch Pro is useless for me because of this

Unity 2018.4.11f

18. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

Please enable "Legacy Mode" in the configuration to fix the issue you mentioned.
    We're currently evaluating an improvement for the new implementation.

Cheers
    Stefan

Edit:
    We've created a new beta version of 2019.5.1 which should fix the issue. If you like to try it, please send us your invoice per email.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  19. SweatyChair

SweatyChair

Same here, causing a lot losing references too and broke our last release while we didnt test everything... set to legacy for now but would be great if it will be fixed soon.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  20. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

You can send me your invoice and I give you the latest beta in return.

Cheers
    Stefan

21. novaVision

novaVision

Somehow after updating to the new version each time I switch to Android platform TSP reimport all the textures again...
    Is there something I should to know to avoid it or it's a bug?

22. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

We did extensive tests with the latest release 2019.5.1 and I really don't know why this happens on your machine :(

Can you please tell me more about your setup:
    1. Unity version?
    2. TPS version?
    3. OS?

In the meantime, you can always change to "Legacy Mode" in the configuration:
    upload_2019-11-18_9-34-41.png

Cheers
    Stefan

23. novaVision

novaVision

1. 2019.3.0b8
    2. 2019.5.1
    3. MacOS Catalina 10.15.1

24. Arkade

Arkade

Unity: 2019.3.0f1 (pre-release)
    TPS: 2019.5.3
    Windows 10

Bought and installed into project using 2019.3.12b. Switched between WebGL, Windows x64 and Android. All fine.
    Upgraded to 2019.3.0f1, updated packages (URP, Test tools, Rider (plugin package) -- think this was all). Fixed a couple of bugs in my code and tested = game runs fine.

Use TPS to switch to Windows build (from WebGL where I'd been previously) => Pages of compilation errors :(
    E.g. serious failures like this compilation one from URP:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets\_UGS\03Code\ux\OutlineOverlayRenderFeature.cs(3,29): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Universal' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine.Rendering' (are you missing an assembly reference?)
    First one at all is:
    Asset Packages/com.unity.test-framework/UnityEditor.TestRunner has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.
    UnityEditor.EditorUserBuildSettings:SwitchActiveBuildTarget(BuildTargetGroup, BuildTarget)
    Crosstales.TPS.Util.Helper:SwitchPlatformNew(BuildTarget, MobileTextureSubtarget) (at Assets/Plugins/crosstales/TurboSwitch/Editor/Util/Helper.cs:424)
    Crosstales.TPS.Switcher:Switch(BuildTarget, MobileTextureSubtarget) (at Assets/Plugins/crosstales/TurboSwitch/Editor/Switcher.cs:89)
    Crosstales.TPS.EditorIntegration.ConfigBase:drawAction(BuildTarget, Texture) (at Assets/Plugins/crosstales/TurboSwitch/Editor/Integration/ConfigBase.cs:1192)
    Crosstales.TPS.EditorIntegration.ConfigBase:drawColumnAction() (at Assets/Plugins/crosstales/TurboSwitch/Editor/Integration/ConfigBase.cs:1024)
    Crosstales.TPS.EditorIntegration.ConfigBase:drawContent() (at Assets/Plugins/crosstales/TurboSwitch/Editor/Integration/ConfigBase.cs:1318)
    Crosstales.TPS.EditorIntegration.ConfigBase:showSwitch() (at Assets/Plugins/crosstales/TurboSwitch/Editor/Integration/ConfigBase.cs:233)
    Crosstales.TPS.EditorIntegration.ConfigWindow:OnGUI() (at Assets/Plugins/crosstales/TurboSwitch/Editor/Integration/ConfigWindow.cs:64)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

I've attached the section I think is relevant (could be a little before or somewhere during). Thoughts most welcome!

Attached Files:

25. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi Arkade

I apologize for the hassle TPS has caused, but I honestly think it's a problem from Unity 2019.3, which seems to me like a big, unstable mess...
    Anyway, Unity 2019.3, which is still beta, is not officially supported; we can only afford to support production releases.

However, can you please enable "Legacy mode" in the configuration and give it another try?
    Please let me know if it helps.

So long,
    Stefan

26. Arkade

Arkade

OK however restarting Unity, I see TPS hasn't started (due to the compilation errors). I assume there's a path to manually recover? I assume swapping the TPS_cache/WebGL/Library back to Library is the first step. What else? (I'm a comfortable CLI & Vi user so if you can just tell me which files need editing, I'll see if that'll fix it.)
    Thx

27. Arkade

Arkade

OK that's definitely not sufficient! Unity crashes on start-up. I'll swap the "Library" directory back and await your help :(

28. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hmm, did manually copying the folders from TPS_cache not help?

29. Arkade

Arkade

Nom that caused ”crashes on start-up”. I assumed sending the crash log to you won't help but I guess I can do if you think there's hope?

30. Arkade

Arkade

What next? I guess return to previous ”Library” (that at least allowed unity to start) and instruct it to switch to WebGL via Unity's platform swap? I guess I then put TPS aside until 2019.3 is 'supported' ? I will admit this is feeling rather like I'd like a refund :(

31. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Just a question: did you delete the Library-folder before copying from the cache?

I would suggest deleting the Library-folder and import the project again.
    It would be nice if you want to give it another try with "Legacy Mode" enabled; I assume this should work.

If you feed up with TPS, I will certainly issue a refund. Just send me your invoice.

32. Arkade

Arkade

Yes.

Yes that's what I've since done. It's working again (PHEW!!!)

OK I'll try that now that I have it working again.

Thank you.

33. Arkade

Arkade

Switched to "Legacy" mode (without deleting anything from "TPS_cache"). Requested swap from Win x64 to WebGL and, after DOS box says it is waiting for Unity to restart, nothing happens. Checking Unity log, it's crashing again. Same as before. Guess it's time for another wipe and import from scratch :(

Anything else I should try?

34. Arkade

Arkade

p.s. Call me paranoid but I backed-up the Win x64 "Library" directory before trying legacy mode and, after it failed, I restored it (after removing the broken one) and used the Hub to force start in Win x64 again. Happily that worked fine so managed to avoid the long reimport. I've just used Unity's normal platform switch to go to WebGL and that worked fine too.

This project is using v2 asset pipeline. Is this what's causing the problems?

Any other thoughts or is it best simply to cease? Thx.

35. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

I apologize again for your wasted time! We're working on the issue and yes V2 could be the problem.
    Are you using Unity 2019.3.0f1 or 2019.3.0b12?

Please give us some time to fix it or send the invoice to issue a refund.

36. Arkade

Arkade

”f1”

37. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hello again

I think we found and fixed the possible problem with AssetDatabase V2 (Unity 2019.2+).
    If you like to give it a try, send us the invoice via email and I give you access to the fix.

Cheers
    Stefan

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Arkade likes this.
  38. Arkade

Arkade

I'm still testing the fixed version but just noticed a nit that I can workaround but it'd be better if you could fix 'officially'?
    Could you please supply asmdefs (and maybe even a package.json) please?

I really struggle with compilation duration and project tidiness. I ammeliorate the prior with asmdefs and the latter by keeping all assets in under a Packages folder and add them via "Packages/manifest.json" (Package manager).
    I'm sure you're already familiar but I can provide tips if not :)
    Thx

39. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Asmdefs are planned for the 2020-version, which will be released in January.
    We haven't added them since we wanted to be backward compatible with Unity 2017.

40. Arkade

Arkade

That's curious, you're the second asset developer I've encountered who thought their use somehow excluded earlier versions.
    If a Unity version doesn't support them or doesn't support package.json, the file is simply ignored.
    HTH!

Stefan-Laubenberger likes this.
  41. LBPToo

LBPToo

Hi Stefan,

I'm on Windows 10, Unity 2019.2.15f1 and I updated to Turbo Switch Pro 2019.5.4 and received the following error:
    Assets\Plugins\crosstales\TurboSwitch\Editor\Util\GAApi.cs(16,24): error CS0117: 'Config' does not contain a definition for 'TRACER'

FYI: Previous version was 2019.5.3.

Bill

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  42. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Please follow chapter 9 of the documentation:
    https://crosstales.com/media/data/assets/tps/TurboSwitch-doc.pdf

43. LBPToo

LBPToo

Boy, I bet you really get tired of telling people to do that. :-( Thanks, it of course worked. I guess I've just been lucky with past updates and it worked without deleting the old version first.

44. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

We never get tired to help our customers ;)
    I'm happy it works now for you!

If you like our asset and have some spare time left, we will always appreciated a nice review.

45. LBPToo

LBPToo

I've been using it about 6 months and love this asset. It's saved me many, many hours of lost productivity. Hmm, that's not a bad start for a review. :) I can't remember if I already did a review or not. If not, I'll get on it.

46. suke_dev

suke_dev

Hi Stefan.
    I'm wondering whether to use this asset.

Did you fixed a bug mentioned by BenoitFreslon?
    Should I use TSP2020.1.1?

Thanks.

47. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

We improved the version, but it seems to be a problem with certain Unity versions.
    However, you can enable "Legacy Mode" in the configuration which will work 100%:
    upload_2020-2-14_15-16-20.png

Cheers
    Stefan

48. suke_dev

suke_dev

Thanks for your quick response!
    I will try it.

49. Imillionaire

Imillionaire

I have this and use to switch between linux and Android and i frequently get stuck on "Restore Assets..." for such a long time. any idea what could be making this switch so slow? (using Unity 2018.3.6f1)

50. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

This is strange, and unfortunately, I don't know what's causing this.
    Can you please try it with "Legacy Mode":
    upload_2020-7-11_9-46-11.png

Does it work faster?

Cheers
    Stefan