Search Unity

Turbo Backup PRO - Fast and save backup solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stefan-Laubenberger, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Turbo Backup

Turbo Backup is the fastest and safest way to backup your Unity project.
    It only stores the difference between the last backup, this makes it incredible fast.

TB is the tool for dangerous situations in your project: make a backup as quick as possible before any potential harmful change. And restore the project in seconds if a disaster happened.

Turbo Backup is a local backup and restore solution within Unity leaving other team members and VCS out of whatever crazy changes your thinking of doing.

Features:
    Fast & efficient

• Extremely fast backup and restore of your Unity project
    • Support for various VCS like Unity Collaborate, git, svn, Mercurial & PlasticSCM
    • Select your custom backup target external HDD/SSD or NAS
    • Automatic backup interval (in minutes)
    • Control it with CLI and integrate it seamlessly in your build pipeline
    • Use up to 16 slots for your backups
    • See the total backup space usage

Documentation & control
    • Powerful API for maximum control
    • Comprehensive documentation and support
    • Full C# source code

Compatibility
    • Works with Windows, Mac and Linux editors
    • Compatible with Unity 2019.4 – 2023
    • C# delegates
    • Works seamless with RockTomate

Some impressions:
    PrefWindow - 01_Backup.PNG

ConfigWindow - 02_Config.PNG

ConfigWindow - 03_Help.PNG

ConfigWindow - 04_About.PNG

Video:

AssetStore:
    Turbo Backup PRO
    Turbo Suite Bundle
    All Tools Bundle

Our other assets

Changes

Any constructive comments are very welcome!

So long,
    Stefan

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  2. XCPU

XCPU

Any video of operation coming? was wondering how the closing Unity looks, progress of backup etc.
    I assume the first backup is everything and subsequent ones are incremental?
    Currently I use SVNTools does this play nice with it? eg. ignore lists, you also have options here, but, interference?
    I also use Acronis which I'll never give up a must have for any PC! (saved my life a few times)
    but it might be nice to have backup\restore within Unity for those "gee. maybe backup this up before huge changes" times.:)
    Planning any option for compression?

3. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

Thank you for you interest in "Turbo Backup"!

Here are the answers to your questions:
    1. A promo video is in the works :)
    2. Yes, the first backup is "full", all the others are "incremental"
    3. I don't own SVNTools, but I assume it should work. We have an option to exclude our backup from the repository.
    4. Compression is currently not planned since it would ruin the backup/restore speed. And hey, it's 2018, so space is no longer an issue ;)

You are totally right, TB is the tool for the situation you described: make a backup as fast as possible before any potential harmful change. And restore the project in seconds if a disaster happened.

Edit:
    After some tests, I can confirm that SVNTools is fully compatible with TB!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  4. Matthewek

Matthewek

Great assets (not only this one) very helpful, congratulations.

Stefan-Laubenberger likes this.
  5. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi Matthew

Thank you for the flowers! ;)

If you like our product and have some spare time left, please rate us at the store. Or even better, write a review - it's very much appreciated.

Have a nice weekend!

Cheers,
    Stefan

6. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

We've created a short tutorial video:

Cheers
    Stefan

7. helmers

helmers

Short tip for any users of the DLL version of TurboBackup:

When you build your game for Windows PCs you will probably stumble about the following error during build:

ArgumentException: The Assembly UnityEditor is referenced by TurboBackup ('Assets/Plugins/crosstales/TurboBackup/TurboBackup.dll'). But the dll is not allowed to be included or could not be found.
    UnityEditor.AssemblyHelper.AddReferencedAssembliesRecurse (System.String assemblyPath, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 alreadyFoundAssemblies, System.String[] allAssemblyPaths, System.String[] foldersToSearch, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 cache, BuildTarget target) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/AssemblyHelper.cs:140)
    UnityEditor.AssemblyHelper.FindAssembliesReferencedBy (System.String[] paths, System.String[] foldersToSearch, BuildTarget target) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/AssemblyHelper.cs:180)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

You get rid of this problem by selecting the TurboBackup.dll in the ProjectFolder (under Plugins/crosstales/TurboBackup) and then in the Inspector under "Exclude Platform" set the check box for "Standalone".

I asume that Unity wants to include the TurboBackup DLL in the Game Package (which is not needed as it is only a Unity Editor tool) and then conlains that the DLL uses illegally the UnityEditor assmebly. With this check box you can tell Unity to NOT include it in the build.

At least it worked for me.

@Crosstales:
    May be it is possible to set this flag already in the setup for the the DLL version of TurboBackup?

8. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

Thank you very much for mention this issue - stupid me! ;)
    Just move the DLL to the "Editor"-folder and you're good to go.
    However, I created a patch and submitted it already to the UAS.

I hope you enjoy TB!

Cheers
    Stefan

9. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Hello Stefan,

* Would it possible to message the user to make a complete backup on exit Unity to any device?
    Eg adjustable all 3 days, or on every exit, etc.
    * Would it possible to have a complete time based update eg every 1h, etc?

Thank you..

10. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

We thought about this since the start of the project but decided not to implement it.
    The main reason for this is the way "Turbo Backup" works - it restarts Unity which could be very inconvenient for the user to be disturbed during work...
    But I will rethink this idea.

So long,
    Stefan

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  11. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Important notice for all "standard" customers:

We constantly try to push our assets to the next level by adding new features and deliver the best support for our customers. In the past we've kept updating the asset in a 2-month cycle. However, after careful consideration, we feel like this needs to happen at a faster pace. We've received numerous input from the community that a faster pace would help out a lot. Because Unity is ever evolving and we want to keep our assets relevant we need to be able to keep up the fast pace that is Unity's second nature. Packaging and maintaining a separate DLL-version poses a problem in regards to this goal.

With this in mind, we decided to phase out the DLL-version by the end of August 2018.
    Besides being able to update the asset more often, we are convinced that phasing out the DLL-version in favor of the PRO version will also bring these improvements for our customers:
    1. More functionalities and supported platforms due the source code (e.g. Linux)
    2. Less frictions with different Unity versions within the same company
    3. Fast hotfixes and high priority support

We understand that this may impact you negatively. However we hope with the upgrade-path we offer to you - our loyal DLL-customers - can alleviate your concerns and win you over once more:
    PRO edition

Please rest assured we will continue to support and improve the PRO version over the years to come.

I hope you understand our decision.

Cheers
    Stefan

XCPU likes this.
  12. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Update regarding the deprecation of the standard package:

The standard package is planned to be available (but no longer maintained) until December 2018. This will allow the transition to PRO with a 50% reduced upgrade-price for our existing customers.
    Afterwards, the package will vanish from the store and the upgrade path will become inaccessible.

13. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

That's kind of putting your supporters in a tough spot don't you think?

14. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

We are totally aware, that not every customer is happy with our decision.
    However, we try to ease the pain by providing a transition phase, which isn't the norm.

Please try to understand our position: maintaining two different editions of the same product is cumbersome and we can't justify the additional work any longer.

15. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

What are the differences between pro and our now deprecated version? For people who bought within the past month.

16. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Please see https://forum.unity.com/threads/turbo-backup-fast-and-save-backup-solution.521731/#post-3603301

We simply can't justify to afford the extra work for the DLL and want to keep up the pace that Unity has set.
    However, the standard version works with all current Unity versions and will hopefully do so for the next months. Therefore, you have a lot of time to test the asset and if you like it, you can still upgrade until December 2018.

17. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Alright well I've upgraded because this asset has saved my ass multiple times. Is there any way to save multiple versions of your project?

Thanks.

18. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Thank you for putting trust in us once more!

We designed TB to provide only one backup at the time. The main reasons are speed and space considerations.
    But after your request, I'm convinced we should provide a "slot"-system were you can use 1-10 (probably n) slots with a distinct name (names like "monday", "tuesday"). The down side is that every slot would use the same space as the project. This means, the backup could become quite large in no time... Furthermore, if a slot is used for the first time, it will take a longer time because it has to copy all the files from the project.

What do you think, would this help you further?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  19. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Yeah that sounds perfect, thank you.

20. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

I have completed the first backup and discovered that it does not backup hidden files (macOS). I have hidden meta files so restoring a backup could be a problem.

EDIT:
    Not to be a pest, but after completing a backup the game window aspect ratio settings had been overwritten with what looks like default settings. It even wiped out the latest Unity presets that are in 2018.2.13. Restoring the backup did not fix it and reinstalling Unity did not fix it. I'm currently trying to find out what file these settings are kept in so I can restore from another location.

EDIT 2:
    Correction-- the aspect ratios are not missing, Unity loaded the Android version of the project even though I initiated the backup under iOS. I also have TPS Switch Pro so there may be a conflict somewhere.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  21. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi Johnny

I think I found the problem with the backup. Please send me your invoice and I can give you the latest beta with a fix.

"Turbo Backup" and its brother "Turbo Switch" should work together fine. ;)
    If you want to keep the "ProjectSettings" per platform, enable "Copy Settings" in the configuration of TPS:
    upload_2018-10-26_13-15-45.png

So long,
    Stefan

22. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

Thanks for the fix. I'll wait until it lands on the store, no rush.

23. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hmm, the strange thing is this: I just finished some test with the current version and all hidden files were already in the backup...
    This means, it should work with the current version from the store. :confused:

Can you please elaborate more about your issue with TB?
    Thank you!

24. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

I'm in a strange state of some meta files hidden and some visible. Until I sort that out, I have to be diligent about file operations. I checked the backup afterwards and the hidden meta files were not there but the visible ones were copied fine.

UPDATE: Well, I just looked closer and the hidden files were copied but changed to visible. I was looking for hidden files and just glossed over them. This has solved the 'mixed meta files' problem that not even UT support could figure out. Even without backup features, the price is worth that alone! Sorry for the trouble and thanks for sorting this out.

25. dogfacedesign

dogfacedesign

Bought the app and it works great! I am, however, now getting these errors in my console log. Not sure why, just sort of started happening. Not causing any issues that I can see, but thought I would report it:

Invalid editor window Crosstales.TurboBackup.EditorIntegration.ConfigPreferences
    UnityEditor.EditorApplicationLayout:FinalizePlaymodeLayout()

26. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

Thank you for reporting this!
    I think it has something to do with our "Configuration"-window - is there an empty tab in Unity? However, try to reset the layout and the warning should be gone.
    We will investigate what we can do, but I think it has something to do with Unity itself.

Cheers
    Stefan

27. dogfacedesign

dogfacedesign

The error went away on its own today for some reason lol. It's all good :)

28. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

Question: I have TB Backup and TPS Pro. If I switch to Android for example and then do a backup, how does that affect the existing backup I did when I had it switched to iOS?

29. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

TB won't interfere in any way with TPS as long as you keep "Copy Library" disabled:
    upload_2019-1-27_2-53-38.png

Cheers
    Stefan

JohnnyFactor likes this.
  30. Beloudest

Beloudest

Hi, how well does this play with Unity version updates. What happens if I go from 2017 to 2019 and want to go back to 2017. Will it work as intended? Thanks

31. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi Beloudest

Thank you for your interest in Turbo Backup!

We once upgraded a project from 2017 to 2018 (HDRP) and realized, nothing worked anymore... =>TB was born :)

So, to answer your question: yes, that would work as long as you don't create a backup after the upgrade to 2019 (this would override the save from 2017).

I hope this answers your question.

Cheers
    Stefan

Beloudest likes this.
  32. Beloudest

Beloudest

Yes it does, cheers.

33. Barritico

Barritico

Hi.

Since I made the last update, I have a problem.
    The copy only works as soon as open UNITY. If I have worked something with the scenes and then I do the backup, the attached screen remains fixed indefinitely.

Unity 2018.4.0f1

Thank you.

turboprofail.jpg

34. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi Barritico

Please enable "Delete UnityLockfile" in the Configuration and try again:
    upload_2019-6-3_21-13-37.png

Please let me know if it works for you.

So long,
    Stefan

35. Barritico

Barritico

Other screenshot.
    Thanks!!!

turboprofail2.jpg

36. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Can you please update to Unity 2018.4.1 and try it again?
    Thank you!

37. Barritico

Barritico

Same problem.

If I close UNITY from the task manager, the copy process is started and UNITY is opened through TURBO BACKUP.

But I do not know if it gives me confidence ...

38. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

We will investigate this further!
    Please give us at least 24h :)

So long,
    Stefan

39. Barritico

Barritico

Sure!!! Don't worry.
    As long as I can use it in some way, there's no problem. It is VERY GOOD TOOL. Of the best I have bought.

Thanks!!!

40. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hello again

We've just did various tests with Unity 2018.4.1 and Turbo Backup 2019.2.2: it works on our side :mad:

Can you please create a new project in Unity 2018.4.1, import TB 2019.2.2 and start a backup?
    What happens?
    If it still "hangs" can you please send me the Editor-log?

And just in case, don't forget this:

So long,
    Stefan

41. Barritico

Barritico

After several tests, I put the previous version of TURBO BACKUP and it works fine.

The most curious thing is that it prevented me from closing the UNITY editor by clicking on the X button. (????)

With the previous version, everything is fine.

Thank you.

42. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Would you mind telling me the version of TB which works for you?
    So we can try to find the differences in the code.

Thank you!

43. f1chris

f1chris

I have the latest version just bought today ( with Unity 2019.2.2f1)

I put my backup folder outside of my Unity Project.

From what I understand, TB should close Unity, do the backup and reopen it. Out of 4 backups so far, that happened only once he reopened Unity. Is it caused by the fact my backup is somewhere else ?

44. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

I have to verify this with the latest version.
    Which OS are you using?

So long,
    Stefan

45. f1chris

f1chris

Latest MacOS Mojave version. Thanks for looking at it !!

46. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi Chris

I found the problem. Please disable "Delete UnityLockFile":
    upload_2019-8-31_13-25-1.png

Please let me know if it helps.

So long,
    Stefan

47. f1chris

f1chris

Cool...thanks...I’ll give it a try later today !!

EDIT: right on ! it worked !!!! thanks !!!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  48. NicBischoff

NicBischoff

Any chance you can support earlier unity versions like 5.6?

49. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Hi

Sure, if you send me the invoice, I will give you access to the older version which supports Unity 5.6.

Have a nice day!

Cheers
    Stefan

50. Stefan-Laubenberger

Stefan-Laubenberger

Good news!

We've just released version 2019.4.0 of Turbo Backup which no longer closes and restarts Unity!
    The old implementation can still be used by enabling "Legacy Mode" in the configuration.

More changes:
    • Backup and restore are now even faster!
    • Editor integration improved
    • Code improvements

f1chris likes this.