Search Unity

Question Trying to use 3D 360 Video for skybox/panorama

Discussion in 'VR' started by bod, Dec 18, 2020.

1. bod

bod

I`m following the Unity manual to use a 3D 360 video as the skybox/panorama.

https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.2/Documentation/Manual/VideoPanoramic.html

Unity 2020.2.0f1 and Oculus 20.1

I have the XR all set up i think but for some reason when I open the material in the inspector it does not have the 3D Layout option listed. It lets me set it to 360 but no stereo. I need to set this to over/under.

What am I missing?

Any Help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  2. ArtlessVenture

ArtlessVenture

Hi bod,

apparently this is not compatible with the new Unity XR Plug-In Management System. I'm basically stuck on the same issue, I'm gonna try this shader that is mentioned in this thread:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/sky...ic-180-videos-with-the-new-xr-manager.855619/

Also check this out, lots of information in this thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/how-to-integrate-360-video-with-unity.485405/page-3#post-5889338

It seems like we are still waiting for an official reply by Unity. At least it would have been very helpful to state in their documentation that this stereo layer in the Skybox won't work if you use the preferred new XR Plug-In Management System.

3. bod

bod

Yeah it seems Unity and Oculus are not on the same page.

4. ArtlessVenture

ArtlessVenture

bod likes this.
  5. bod

bod

Kool ArtlessVenture! I'll give it a try.

Not many of us doing this type of thing. What camera are you using? I picked up the VuZe camera and like it a lot. Still working on a game scenario but want to see if I can do this first LOL Are you using the Oculus package for the XR?

Thanks again for the work around!

Best regards
    bod

6. bod

bod

Many Thanks ArtlessVenture It worked like a charm. But I can not get it to export the APK??? Errors on the shader.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  7. ArtlessVenture

ArtlessVenture

Thanks for reporting back, I'm happy to help! Yeah it still seems like a rare use-case, I'm working with material shot on the Insta360 Pro 2 camera.
    I'm using SteamVR to be compatible with Vive.
    Unfortunately I can't help you with exporting to apk's, don't have much knowledge there yet.

Best regards!

8. DominiqueLrx

DominiqueLrx

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone!

There is indeed a disconnect between the panoramic shader UI and the XR plugin management. We're working on a fix and will backport up to 2019.4 when ready.

Dominique Leroux
    A/V developer at Unity

JanusHeiberg likes this.
  9. sxkx360

sxkx360

Thanks for fixing this up, it´s been faulty for ages, prevented me from moving to newer version frankly because of tight schedules would be great to have bug gone finally. Let us know which versions will get update so I can pick the right editor version to keep building on. Currently trying out 2021.1beta for kicks and no UI there also,changing components debug layout float variable by hand (from 0 to 1 or 2) doesn´t work, I think it worked with some version.