Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to understand the pipeline for hard surface materials and most importantly decals

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by LazyOnion, Feb 24, 2020.

1. LazyOnion

LazyOnion

I m developing a game taking place in ancient Greece and I m kinda stuck in the world building aspect.
    I 've read this reddit post from star citizen, multiple talks about assassin creed odyssey and I ve noticed in different games the use of tileable materials to create huge environments (for example the rome fantasy pack in the asset store and others), but I can't wrap my mind around how extensive should the usage of decals be in all of these.

So here is an example: let's say we create a simple box with bolts holding it, and we want to add rust dripping from the bolts on the them. I would normally just create this with a single material and 3 textures (albedo - normal - metallic), but this doesn't follow the tileable approach.
    So should the box have decals for the drips, the box model have 2 material slots one for the rusty bolts and one for the wood?

To add on this, in the star citizen post, there is a reference to a kind of shader that holds all decals in one texture and applies only the selected ones, does this work as a simple splatmap or does anyone have any idea how this should be approached?

2. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

as i understands, the hrdp sample scene contains simple (very naive) planar decal. maybe better option on store.

i would suggest try and see which proc works better for you

3. LazyOnion

LazyOnion

Stumbled upon this https://www.artstation.com/artwork/l3wwa which explains the whole process, but I dont think its possible with render pipelines before the update for the deferred lighting support.