Search Unity

Trying to start the production of a clicker game.

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by FleshRenderStudios, Feb 5, 2015.

1. FleshRenderStudios

FleshRenderStudios

Existence: Rise of Man

This is a game I have been working on for a few years "brainstorming wise" at least and now I want to go into actual development but my issue is I have no idea where to start of with making a clicker game in Unity. I chose Unity purely for it's adaptability and ability to transfer to almost any other platform (when you buy additional licenses of course).

I was just wondering if anyone could give me a baseline to work from like a starting block with creating a clicker game, I have a layout I want to use which I will describe below:

Game Layout:

You are the chief of a small stone age tribe and you are inferior when compared to everyone else around you currently, This makes you angry as a chief and you strive to make your tribe better than every other tribe. Gain reputation to attract more people to your tribe, get those people to do various tasks for your tribe, collect resources, build new and better buildings that expand your tribe's wealth of knowledge and income, rinse and repeat until you are the best of the best.

Features:
    1. 100's of buildings to buy and upgrade
    2. Prestige System - Every time you prestige you have the ability to unlock the next age in your evolutionary path.
    3. Numerous resources to collect and use. Each resource will need different type's of worker's to collect it.
    4. 100's of different research's to unlock and buy (no timer's)
    5. Go to war with any of your rival clan's if you think you can take them on. (Auto-Generated stat's depending on your own development)
    6. Roguelike elements - if a villager dies it will effect your tribe in various ways permanently!
    7. new game mechanics, new technologies, buildings and upgrades introduced with every increase in Age.

Now due to me not knowing where exactly to start with Unity (as I have never used it before) I need someone to give me a baseline that is simple to learn from and adapt to my needs, Whether this teaches me to learn how to implement GUI or How to add in a resource, worker, etc.

I'm relatively new to JS as well but I know enough to have a basic understanding of it such as for, if, else if, else, modulo, math.random, math.round, var, function() etc. I don't think I need too much more knowledge to make a math based clicker game at least not math wise anyway.

If anyone can help feel free to contact via email fleshrenderstudios@hotmail.com or via Skype (same email) or reply to this thread.

2. wccrawford

wccrawford

My advice is to start small. Make a simple generic clicker game that *just* has a counter that increments and you can click a button to make it increment faster. Then add on features, like having the button cost a certain amount, and multiple buttons that cost different amounts and make the numbers increase faster. Then worry about each button's price going up each time you click it.

Once you've implemented a completely generic clicker with all the basic features, 1 by 1, you'll be in a much better position to start trying to implement the game you've designed. You'll also have made a lot of mistakes that you can now just throw away and start from scratch, and they won't affect your forward progress.

There are plenty of tutorials out there for everything you'll need. Just keep to 1 basic thing at a time and you'll be okay.

3. FleshRenderStudios

FleshRenderStudios

Thanks for the advice

could you possibly link me to any tutorials please?

4. wccrawford

wccrawford

5. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

My advice.

First... everything that @wccraford said...

Second... Skip Unityscript (fake JS) Learn C# If you're new to JS, you have zero reason to use it.

Third ... Prototype on paper first.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    theANMATOR2b and Kiwasi like this.
  6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Your feature list looks great. But based on what's here alone it doesn't look like you are ready to start coding this yet. By the time you have all your design details fleshed out code just about writes its self. Some of your features seem incongruous, you may need to cut scope to make a viable game.

The advice about starting with a minimum viable prototype is pretty good. Start small and add more details.

Start by going through the tutorials on the UI system, and the scripting ones.

Here is how I would go about making a clicker game.
    • Create a single manager class to hold the players points. This should expose a bunch of methods to add points, spend points and the like. Note that you will not be able to store points in a simple float or int structure. float lacks the required precision. int lacks the range. A BigInteger is probably a good place to start
    • Use the 4.6 UI tools to make buttons that link into this class
    • Keep adding features

7. ostrich160

ostrich160

Ideas are easy, making them happen, not always. In my opinion, good game ideas arent the best things you can think of, its the best thing you can think of while simultaneously being the simplest.

XsettingsX likes this.