Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to simply position assets together...snap is AWFUL!

Discussion in 'World Building' started by neeboy, Mar 26, 2019.

1. neeboy

neeboy

I am brand-new to unity. I'm trying to make a virtual-walkthrough of a large conveyor system that I can load onto an iPad. I come from the AutoCAD/Inventor world, moved my models to MAX, and I am getting really IRRITATED with simply trying to snap one part of my conveyor system to another in Unity (I had to break my file into chunks as the whole file together was too much to load in at once).

Snapping in Unity is AWFUL! 75% of the time it seems I don't get the ridiculously-small "sweet-spot" of the triad. Mostly what I get is a dragging-selection window, etc.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions?? I can't spend all my time trying to join simple flat-surfaces together, that's just utterly ridiculous. Although...is there any kind of "add-on" that would let me easily align surfaces to each other? That might be one way around, I could put "dummy" objects in the layout, tie them thru parenting to the actual conveyor parts, and then align the dummy objects with each other to get the precise positioning/joining I need in Unity. Any advice out there? Thanks in advance!

2. tcourbet

tcourbet

Isn't pressing 'V' working for you?

(description of how-to in case you don't know already:)
    - select your mesh
    - hover over which vertex you want to snap
    - press V
    - drag the 'gizmo cube' to the vertex you want to snap to

3. neeboy

neeboy

Well, I thought that was what I was doing....thanks very much for the reply, I'll try again tomorrow morning.

4. tcmeric

tcmeric

Have you tried using pro grids yet? It offers grid based snapping.

5. neeboy

neeboy

No, I think I may not like that...but right now it doesn't matter, I discovered how to rectify my particular situation. I was trying to import multiple parts of a conveyor system that I built in Inventor, then brought in to Unity thru MAX. Turns out I just needed to zero out the coordinates of each part after I brought them all in. Duh on me :) Thanks very much for your contribution though, I will at least check it out!