Search Unity

Trying to save UI documents in Package folder breaks

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by IkigaiMonkey, Jan 15, 2020.

1. IkigaiMonkey

IkigaiMonkey

Hi.
    I'm trying to create uxml and uss inside the Package folder (I want them to be part of a new package I'm creating), but when I try to save the documents inside the UI Builder, I've this Exception:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Unity.UI.Builder.VisualTreeAssetExtensions.DeepOverwrite (UnityEngine.UIElements.VisualTreeAsset vta, UnityEngine.UIElements.VisualTreeAsset other) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.ui.builder@0.10.0-preview/Editor/Utilities/VisualTreeAssetExtensions/VisualTreeAssetExtensions.cs:41)
    Unity.UI.Builder.VisualTreeAssetExtensions.DeepCopy (UnityEngine.UIElements.VisualTreeAsset vta) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.ui.builder@0.10.0-preview/Editor/Utilities/VisualTreeAssetExtensions/VisualTreeAssetExtensions.cs:31)
    Unity.UI.Builder.BuilderDocument.SaveNewDocument (System.String uxmlPath, System.String ussPath, UnityEngine.UIElements.VisualElement documentRootElement, System.Boolean isSaveAs) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.ui.builder@0.10.0-preview/Editor/Builder/BuilderDocument.cs:457)

Am I doing something really wrong or this is a known issue?

Cheers

2. IkigaiMonkey

IkigaiMonkey

I assume it should work since when you try to save them it says they have to be inside "Assets/" or "Packages/"?

3. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

It should definitely not explode like that, even if it doesn't let you save. To be safe, create the UXML and USS inside your package first, and then load the UXML for editing in the UI Builder after.

There's definitely a bug in there but I'll need more info. Can you submit a bug report using the Help > Report a bug.. menu in Unity?

4. IkigaiMonkey

IkigaiMonkey

Hey Damian, thanks for the reply.
    The issue with doing that (which I tried already) is that while I can load the uxml, if I modify it and want to save it (which is the most common thing), it fails again.

I'll submit a bug, thanks!

5. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

Did you install your package "from source", or "from git", or does just live inside your project's Packages folder?

6. IkigaiMonkey

IkigaiMonkey

I'm using the local referencing using "file:/" , I didn't try by using a git one (tho the package is actually in git, but for develompent I use "file:/" instead.

7. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

Ya, definitely sounds like a bug.