Search Unity

Trying To Replicate An HTC Vive Room

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by howieDoin, Dec 12, 2016.

1. howieDoin

howieDoin

On the HTC Vive Virtual Reality system, there is a room, that shows your tracking boundaries, in the form of a beautiful bright white cage all around you, with a white square down where your feet would be.

Some what similar to my attached picture, but FAR MORE visually appealing.

My quest is to recreate this room, using Unity.

I have created the needed square pattern image in Photoshop, and then created a SkyBox inside of Unity using my image in all six image positions.

Dont get me wrong, it worked, except for two major factors.

Number one, trying to recreate the beautiful Vive cage room as a SkyBox, puts the bars, what appears to be, right up and in my face, as though I'm in prison.

How do I back it away from the camera? The beautiful Vive cage room is MASSIVE, and EXPANSIVE. When wearing the Vive Headset, the bars look to be an eighth of a mile away from you.

Maybe a SkyBox is the wrong approach?

And secondly, if I am not mistaken, that Vive room cage, is not a perfect square. It is more, "pill", as if to be in the dead center of a spherical aspirin. How would one achieve the, "non square" look?

In C4D or 3DS, we would simply cut a Sphere in half, illuminate, and do all of the work inside that half Sphere.