Search Unity

Trying to open project in a sharred network folder

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by keithsoulasa, Jan 12, 2015.

1. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Hi all , so basically I want to use visual studio to edit some code( plus my PC is much faster than my Mac) and my unity project is in a shared network folder on my Mac.

My PC on the same network is trying to open the project, but instead just hangs. Can I even do this. I really dont want to have to copy the files back and forth.

2. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Unity is designing to work on a local hard drive and will not behave like you expect if the project is on a network drive.
    This "not like you expect" can range from not getting updates about changed files to crashes and not loading.
    If you are interested in having this setup for a longer time , you may be interested in some form of source control system for syncing the files to central server(can be installed on your laptop) or just sync with a standard sync tool between your pc's.

Graham-Dunnett likes this.
  3. unity_BkzKW1GPXqMERw

unity_BkzKW1GPXqMERw

4. EZaca

EZaca

Nice trick to map the network drive. But Unity Hub doesn't like that, it didn't find the mapped drive. Unity, itself, was able to find the network drive, but the intensive network traffic crashed my cheap router.