Search Unity

Trying to learn

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by light766, Jul 21, 2009.

1. light766

light766

I am a 15 year old trying to learn Unity, I get the basic concept of scripting but what is the diffrence between normal javascript and mulitplayer scripting and how can i learn it because i am trying to make a online multiplayer game? I am someone who is dedicated to making this game so if it is something that takes a long time to learn, please still tell me where i can learn it

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

there is no difference.

In multiplayer you just will have to do the scripting at the right place as not all can control the object.

I would recommend to start with the Network example you find on the website and with the island default project you have.

3. light766

light766

can i just make this game single player first and then later on turn it into multiplayer or is that not possible? (or it is possible but it needs A LOT of work?)

4. zumwalt

zumwalt

Make it single player to begin with, migrating to multi player won't be all that cumbersome.

5. light766

light766

Ok so when i finish my game how do i transform it into multiplayer?

6. reset

reset

Networking multiplayer is very easy in Unity3D.

The best way, as stated earlier, is to look at the Network examples and work through the code.

Network instantiating a prefab is basically like taking a basic player model and duplicating it when a new player joins the game - so you can build a single player game and then add only a bit of extra script and components to make it a multiplayer game. Follow the car networking example to understand this concept.

7. musichopper

musichopper

The network examples all do nothing. Come up with a blank screen and sits there.

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

Open the loader scene and start play

if you open the project itself you are in an empty scene as with any unity project

9. musichopper

musichopper

I get all that. I load a specific scene. Tried all of them.. some have a floor. And I hit play.. And it does nothing lol. All I see is blankness of bluescreen.. or one with a white floor.(castle one I think).

I am in vista 32 bit with 2.5 etc so perhaps the example is too old to work with this version?

Ok, I noticed the problem now. All of the objects/entities have no connections at all in the inspector view. I have some of them connected right because of common sense and logical likeness of naming. However, I am now getting TONS of errors about null connections etc.

10. musichopper

musichopper

Yeah, I loaded the project itself this time hoping it would correct the connections in the inspector view. Still nothing after I then go into individual scenes. They all have empty settings for the connections and I have no idea what should be there since "Mono" is quite vague and then there are the errors about loading a destroyed texture etc. This example seems to be having lots of problems.