Search Unity

Trying to figure out how best to use FBX Exporter tool for animation pipeline

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by DanielAtLevelEx, May 12, 2021.

1. DanielAtLevelEx

DanielAtLevelEx

I'm having trouble using the FBX exporter tool to export animations from Unity to Maya and then getting a clear transfer back into Unity. I'm wondering if I am missing capabilities of the tool that I'm not aware of.

My test workflow is this

1.Create Cube in Scene
    2.Add animator with 4 animation clips (transform position animation, rotation animation, size animation, and combination animation) to the cube.
    2.5 convert the scene asset into an fbx prefab.
    3.I go into maya and import the fbx using the FBX exporter maya plugin
    4.At this point, I only see only the first animation key framed to the object unless I go to the Time Editor and import the fbx again as an animation clip (with animations split to individual composition tracks) . This then shows all 4 animation clips.
    5. I edit the animation in maya and rebake each.
    6. I go to the FBX exporter plugin menu in maya and select "export"

Now when I go back into maya I only see ONE animation embedded into the fbx prefab instead of the 4 I exported out with the fbx.

Is it possible using this tool to have a seamless back and forth between maya using multiple embedded animations? If so....how?

Much appreciated any help anyone can provide.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  2. vkovec

vkovec

Unity Developer - FBX Exporter

Hi @unity_hit0UtLbogV6mw,

The FBX exporter Maya plugin currently supports round-tripping of one animation clip per FBX file. Unfortunately it does not currently support import/export of multiple animations per file like the Time Editor does.

I will log a task to look into this and see what could be done to improve the workflow.

A potential workaround could be to import all the animations together in the Time Editor as you are currently doing.
    Then for export you can do one of two things:
    1. Export the animation clips from the Time Editor window using the File > Export Selected... or File > All Clips to FBX...
    2. Export with the Game Exporter (`File > Game Exporter` or from the Time Editor: `File > Open Game Exporter...`)

With the Game Exporter it should be possible to change the settings to export multiple animation clips into the same file if desired.
    upload_2021-5-17_10-52-38.png