Search Unity

Trying to do a classic looking glass shot

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Drowning-Monkeys, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Drowning-Monkeys

Drowning-Monkeys

Howdy,

So i'm trying to do one of those classic shots where the camera starts to the left of a prospective target, goes past it to the right, then comes back, zooms in (and loses focus in the process), and adjusts focus.

I am experiencing two different issues essentially here:
    1. If I don't set a look target, then Focus Offset doesn't work. So the problem is that while i can do the exact movement i want, through animating rotation, and adjusting FOV, I can't get my focus shift
    2. If i do set a look target, then Focus Offset works, but I can no longer rotate the camera (duh). The other issue is that zooming in doesn't lose focus because that focus is tracking the target.

I did manage in the end to create a workaround, where I created two same cameras, one with PostProcessing with an wide aperture and no target, the other with a very narrow aperture, and immediately started animating the offset, so that when i blend the two shots, it goes out of focus and comes back in. But 1 camera would really be the best solution here.

the other idea i had was to remove the look target, then add the target in during animation, but the issue here is that while the camera moves the way i want, i still cant adjust any DoF

Finally, I read that PPS 2.0 would have a way to adjust the parameters in the timeline, so i downloaded the Git project, and Unity 2017.2b11, but still couldn't see any way of doing that.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys,

2. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

hi @Drowning-Monkeys

Im trying to wrap my head around your problem - not sure I totally get it yet.

Have you tried making a parent object with the camera and look at target under it and rotating that?

When zooming you can use the focus offset to lose focus for a bit then bring it back down to zero so it lands on the next target...?

This is maybe a similar question with a bit more info:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/focus-target-independent-of-aim-target.496223/

The Timeline stuff for PPSv2 is still in progress.

Let me know if you're still stuck