Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

True Volumetric Lights (Now Open Source)

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by Michal_, Mar 10, 2016.

1. konsic

konsic

But, only in HDRP, not in default renderer.

2. SamRock

SamRock

Hey no problem. You should be proud that your work became widely used and accepted. Just shows how great the contribution is :)

I managed to get it to work, thanks to a comment few pages above.
    Thanks again for the amazing asset. You should try to monetize it though.. even if its for a very less price :)

Dreamaster likes this.
  3. belamessex

belamessex

hi michal! I love your asset a lot and used it heavily in my upcoming game Little Bug https://store.steampowered.com/app/822190/Little_Bug/
    I saw that you have a copyright line that needs to be reproduced, and I'm happy to include that in the credits. Would that work for you?

Thanks!

pcg and Whippets like this.
  4. SamRock

SamRock

Hey your game looks beautiful! :eek:
    Love the artstyle.
    I am working on a 2.5D game too.. and I must say this is a great looking game I have seem in long time. :)

5. belamessex

belamessex

<333 thanks so much, I'm really proud of it.

6. SamRock

SamRock

You are welcome! Do you have a team or you worked Solo!
    Would love to have a team member like you :D

7. Michal_

Michal_

Hi, your game looks really nice. Thanks for sharing.
    You're only required to keep the copyright in the source code. There's no need to put it in credits or anywhere else.
    But feel free to mention it in credits if you think it deserves a mention. That is up to you ;)

Best of luck with your game

8. o-san

o-san

First I'd like to say that this is an awesome asset, great job!

However, I am struggling to get spotlights to work. I am using the default settings on my volumetric light but for some reason the fog flickers back and forth.

A clip showing the problem:

I can get the spotlight fog to always show if I lower the Shadow Distance in the quality settings panel but that also removes the volumetric properties of the fog - it passes through everything. I am using no cascades atm but I have tried both two cascades and up to four cascades with the same results.

Any help appreciated.

9. o-san

o-san

I've managed to fix some of the problems I have with the flickering fog. I found a few posts up mentioning that shadows won't render if there is no shadow caster visible (unity limitation)... So I made a large bounding box with its sides pointing inwards surrounding my scene. I set the color mask to zero and z-writing to off to prevent it from rendering the cube. I also set the mesh renderer component to cast shadows (important). Now the fog effect is visible all of the time :)

However there is still a problem with the shadow volume flickering, not the whole spotlight fog.

You can see the dark/shadowy areas sometimes flickers brightly. I tried maxing the Volumetric Light Sample Count and Volumetric Light Renderer Resolution to Full but the problem prevails. Is this expected behavior, can I work around it somehow?

konsic likes this.
  10. Zuntatos

Zuntatos

I'm not really familiar with how this asset works, but I ran into a thing similar to this in my own game - unity wouldn't execute an AfterLighting commandbuffer if there is no unity default lighting. But that's where my custom lights were being rendered :/

11. belamessex

belamessex

Thanks! and thanks for the great Asset, it really brought together the look of the game.

12. belamessex

belamessex

I directed the game, did programming, lighting, level design, some 3D and 2D art and some sound. I had a team of friends and contractors that helped out with lots of parts here and there (mostly with writing and music) and I put it all together in Unity. I really need to get my "roll" on the team better defined lol.

SamRock likes this.
  13. 747423517

Ohhh, I got it, because I didn't build the quoted Shader into EXE