Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. We are updating our Terms of Service for all Unity subscription plans, effective October 13, 2022, to create a more streamlined, user-friendly set of terms. Please review them here: unity.com/legal/terms-of-service.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Join us on Thursday, September 29, for a day with Unity's SRP teams here on the forum or on Reddit, and discuss topics around URP, HDRP, and the Scriptable Render Pipeline in general.
    Dismiss Notice

True Shadow - UI Drop Shadow and Glow

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Le_Tai, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

20% OFF during the beta period
    50% OFF during the beta period for Translucent Image owner!❤️

True Shadow helps you quickly and painlessly build beautiful and modern UIs with soft shadows and glows. No longer do you have to fake soft shadows with manually created texture, or put up with the horrible builtin shadow component.

> WebGL and Android Demo
    > Manual & Documentation

Get it now on the Asset Store!

»»» FEATURE HIGHLIGHT «««

Visual

▪ Control shadow size, offset angle and distance, color tint.
    ▪ Normal, Addictive, and Multiply blend-mode.
    ▪ Shadow can inherit color from sprite to emulate glow.
    True shadow generation, creating much smoother than SDF based method.

Compatibility
    ▪ Any sprite is supported, not just simple shapes.
    ▪ All Image type: Simple, Sliced, Tiled, Filled.
    ▪ Raw Image, so you can have 2D shadow/glow of 3D objects.
    ▪ Mask.
    ▪ Layout Groups.
    ▪ Builtin support for animating shadows on interactive elements (hover, select, click).
    ▪ Only the builtin render pipeline was tested currently. All pipelines will probably work, but people on the internet are not to be trusted, please make your decision only on what currently available :)

Performance
    ▪ Fast shadows generation, thanks to the battle-tested algorithm behind Translucent Image, allowing shadows to be generated in real-time.
    ▪ Shadows are automatically reused when possible, so you can build complex UIs with plenty of shadow casting UIs at once.

What can I expect from the beta?
    ▪ All features shown are implemented.
    ▪ Implemented features work in the majority of situations.
    ▪ Less common setups might not work correctly. Please report them.
    ▪ API and how settings work can change in future updates. Settings and API might be added or removed. Thus changes might be required when you upgrade

Have any question or bug report? Contact me any time through the support portal or email

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    PolyCrusher likes this.
  2. sathya

sathya

Hi is it compatible with sprite renderer?

3. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

Hi! True Shadow is designed to be used with the game object based UI system (uGUI) only. Other rendering system are not supported at the moment.

sathya likes this.
  4. sathya

sathya

Any plans to support SpriteRenderer in future updates?

5. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

There is not at the moment

6. BAIZOR

BAIZOR

APPROVED - That is a great plugin!
    Even in beta status, it works very well. I already used it in two production projects (iOS + Android + Windows) with URP. Works very well and very efficiently.

Question
    @Le_Tai I need to union shadow from multiple gameObjects with single Image components on each. Is it any way to do that?
    In my current project, few images can be magnetized to each other, after the magnet animation, I want them to cast a union shadow, instead of two separate. Because shadow from the first one overlaps another image, that is incorrect behavior for this project.

7. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

That is great to know, thanks you!

There is no easy way to do what you described. The approach I would take is to render the images into a RenderTexture, then use that RenderTexture on a Raw Image where True Shadow can be attached.

8. ajlert11

ajlert11

Hello!
    Really useful asset here, good job. Do you have any plans to integrate glowing feature for TextMehsPro text?
    It works really good with images and legacy text though!

9. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

Thank you. TMP support is not a high priority at the moment, as already have shadow and glow effect, I cannot give any ETA for it. There has been experimental work on TMP which is not very well tested. If you want to try it contact me through my support portal or email with your invoice number.

10. unity_-FJGZgGsQEYoBA

unity_-FJGZgGsQEYoBA

Hello.
    Great work. Thank you!

I have two questions:
    1. Can we unload generated textures from memory after hide true shadow components?
    2. We need to use shadows with Rect Mask 2d. Is it possible to support this feature?

11. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

Thank you! Currently shadow textures are only released OnDestroy to avoid having to regenerate shadow when toggling UIs. Maybe I can make this configurable in the future, but for now the only way is to modify the code yourself.

RectMask is supported in the next version, I will see if I can back port it to get it out sooner.

12. unity_-FJGZgGsQEYoBA

unity_-FJGZgGsQEYoBA

Thanks!

13. jakob-leitner

jakob-leitner

Hello,
    are there any plans on supporting UIBuilder?

14. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

The new UI Toolkit framework is very limited and cannot be supported at this point.

unityunity