Search Unity

Troubles using Unity with no internet connection?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ArachnidAnimal, Sep 9, 2020.

1. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

Trying to start Unity with no internet connection...

msg1.png

msg2.png

What is going on here? Since when am I required to have an internet connection to use Unity?
    Why is it asking me about licenses?
    This is quite disturbing to me to see this message.

2. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

You need an internet connection to activate the license (yes, even a free personal license). Once activated, it should be good for some time (not sure how long). I'm not sure how long that requirement has been in place. As you can see you can do a manual license activation via those buttons if you can't get a network connection on that particular device.

ArachnidAnimal likes this.
  3. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

Is this the license key on the bottom right where it says serial number?

msg3.png

4. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

I have no idea.

The way to activate the license manually is to press that button that says "Save License Request". That will give you a file. You need to then go to this website and upload the file: https://license.unity3d.com/manual

Once you do that, it should give you another file. This is the license file. Take the license file and go back and press that "Load License" button, and give it the license file. Then you should be good to go.

Obviously if your computer doesn't have an internet connection you may need to copy those files around to and from another device that does have an internet connection in order to complete the activation.

5. Shinugami

Shinugami

Hello,
    I've been wanting an offline version for a long time. Basically, they will never say that you need internet to use Unity3D however I learned the answer. I lived in a cyclone prone area for a few years and so there were a few times when I had no internet for 1 or 2 weeks. Basically I went to work on my project and UnityHub wouldn't load my projects because it couldn't validate the license or something. I had a few instances where somehow if I loaded the project without using unityHub, I was able to work on it however after a few days that trick no longer worked and I was stuck with no Unity3D until the internet was restored to the area. I remember asking Unity3D about this and after doing a bit of a dance I was advised that there is nothing that can be done without access to the internet. And this is a problem because in the near future there will be extended and indefinite periods where there will be no internet access - I just have a history of sensing these things and I am yet to be wrong.