Search Unity

Bug Trouble Starting Play Mode

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mortalglitch, Oct 1, 2015.

1. mortalglitch

mortalglitch

I began running into an issue recently where I try to start the Play Mode and the whole Unity system seems to hang. This started after I had messed around with Remote and a Android Build. It seems to be tied to ADB specifically. Once Unity seems to lock up I can open a terminal and run adb kill-server followed by adb devices and this will clear the hang and begin processing once again.
    This may very well be triggered by my system having multiple versions of adb for various Android development projects I work on.
    What seems odd to me is remote should be off now and the target for builds has been set back to Linux but still somehow adb is locking things up.
    If any additional information is needed just let me know I didn't know what I should include with this one.

I flagged this as a potential bug but it may be my system triggering the problem in this case since it's adb set up is rather odd.

Current System:
    Description: Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS
    Release: 14.04
    Codename: trusty
    Flavor: Xubuntu
    DE: XFCE(Xubuntu Session)
    ADB Version (Currently Running): Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.31

2. WarWeasle

WarWeasle

I'm having a similar issue. My first instance of Unity Editor (Linux) will lock up when I press play. But everything works fin e if I open another project. I can't open the same project, it says it's in use.

t_w likes this.
  3. mortalglitch

mortalglitch

If you had to force it closed it may have left the lockfile inside of the temp folder. It will normally allow you to delete the lockfile to re-open the project.

4. WarWeasle

WarWeasle

That worked. I wish I knew enough to troubleshoot why "play" locks up the first time after boot. It seemed to happen after I installed the android development tools.

5. t_w

t_w

me too

6. Tak

Tak

Check for zombie UnityShaderCompiler and UnityHelper processes.

7. WarWeasle

WarWeasle

I found UnityShaderComp (I assume compiler).and several Unity Helpers. Does that help?

8. Kaukamieli

Kaukamieli

I came here to talk about this thing. Pretty much every morning when I boot up and start Unity, the first time I press play, Unity hangs up. Then I have to close it, remove the tempfile, and boom. It just works from there on. I haven't tested this well, I might later.

9. Charro

Charro

Exactly the same happens to me. First time using play it freezes.

I'm using Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon

10. AurimasBlazulionis

AurimasBlazulionis

I think you should kill them