Search Unity

Trouble moving a project from mac to PC

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by markfrancombe, Jul 30, 2016.

1. markfrancombe

markfrancombe

Hello, I just got a new PC after having been developing on mac. (dont ask).
    I moved my projects over by simply putting them on a google Drive and waiting for a sync.
    I copied the projects just in case, and looked in Assets for my Unity.proj files.. er.. not there!

Why not?

Is it something to do with the way I copied them over.. can I use a memory stick?.. but even so...

why?

Shushustorm likes this.
  2. MSplitz-PsychoK

MSplitz-PsychoK

It's possible that not all of your files were copied over correctly, so make sure the files exist on your machine after the copy and before you open unity.

Also, delete your "Library" and "Temp" folders inside your project folder before you open unity. These files should never be shared between machines, and Unity will rebuild them if they are missing.

3. markfrancombe

markfrancombe

Hi thanks for the reply, but thats exactly te trouble. The unity project files (or scene files rather) are not there--- just missing.. everything else is there, but them! So theres nothing to launch!

So what if I move these filea another way, via memory stick for example and put them in the projects where they should be manually? Will that help?

As for the tips about Library and Temp... thanks for that... ill do that...

4. orb

orb

Compress the project folder on the Mac and move the archive into GDrive instead, then you'll know you got everything. Delete Library etc. on the Windows system when you have it there.

5. markfrancombe

markfrancombe

Thanks @orb Ill give that a go... I actually waited a day longer and a the project files seem to have turned up, but loading them now shows me lots of PINK textures and lost scripts... so Ill try YOUR method.. thx...

6. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Another option would be to set up your project in a repo (like git) and then check it out on your other machine. As a bonus you now have version control!

Side note, the pink shaders may be a result of using platform specific features in custom shaders.

7. markfrancombe

markfrancombe

Thanks @zombiegorilla I must say that I have had a project on Git before, but really didnt understand what I was doing, and the interface I was using (on mac SourceTree) was a mystery to me. In anycase THAT project soon grew beyond the max 2 gb that bitbucket served me, and I stopped using it. Purely manually backups for me now (gr-syncing to external drives)

I dont think the pink shaders were anything special, pretty sure I was using the standard U5 shaders throughout, Im positive that it is just due to missing stuff in the google drive sync`, although... now I come to think about it, the pink stuff was mainly rocks and cliff geometry, that had been combined using a script (that was missing) even so, I still think its the using the standard shader...

8. orb

orb

And that's the simplification of the Git command line interface :)