Search Unity

Question Trouble creating a branch in Plastic...

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by petey, Oct 17, 2022.

1. petey

petey

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to Plastic but I'm at the point where using branches could be really helpful. According to some of the guides it should be possible to right click in the branches pane and create a new branch from there but I can't seem to do that.

This is what my Branches pane looks like, should it have the main branch in there? Also is right clicking in there the way to make a new branch?

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 10.12.12 am.png

I found this article that says it's possible -
    https://blog.unity.com/games/upgrading-from-collaborate-to-unity-plastic-scm

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong there?
    Thanks!
    Pete

2. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

Hi Pete,

You should see the main branch and be able to right click on it to create child branches, that is very odd!

Are you on the latest version of the Version Control package? Does the same behaviour occur if you download and use the Branch Explorer in the Plastic SCM client?

Hope this helps!

3. petey

petey

Hi @ollieblanks, I’m in the middle of an update. I’ll wait ‘till that’s out the door so I don’t break things :). I should be able to give that a try early next week. Thanks for the heads up!
    P.

4. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Ok, please keep us posted.

5. petey

petey

Okay cool, @carlosalba1985 @ollieblanks
    Got a chance to try it out now in the plastic app. I was able to create a branch and now I can see this from Unity -
    Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 12.09.36 pm.png
    Shouldn't the /main/ branch appear there as well?
    Or if I was going to switch branches should I do that from plastic? I'm a little worried that could break stuff if I switch there while Unity is open...

Thanks!
    Pete

6. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

The "Branches" view should show you all the repo branches. Do you have any filter set in this view?
    Anyway, doing the switch from the Plastic GUI would be also a valid solution.

7. petey

petey

Thanks @carlosalba1985, I don't have any filters on, it just doesn't want to show the /main/ branch. Strange...
    That's okay though, it seems the plastic app is the way to go for that stuff as it looks like there a lot of other options there.
    Thanks for checking it out :)
    Pete