Search Unity

Triton Oceans and 3D Water for Unity Pro / Windows [DEPRECATED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sundog, Sep 20, 2012.

1. BBRome

BBRome

I can see what you see but is a sphere...

The script change does not impact just tramsform.position.y of the to understand why with "Clamp to surface" on the ship goes under the water

2. sundog

sundog

You said earlier that you were setting the velocity via a script. The wake effects are extremely dependent on having a realistic velocity that matches the motion of the ship. I really think you should focus your debugging on how your velocity is computed and set, if the wake looks as expected in our test scene.

I really don't understand your previous message. The wake generating object is a sphere in the screenshot I posted, and I don't understand your second sentence. I assume there's just a language barrier thing going on here. It would be best if you could set up a small, separate test project illustrating what you think looks wrong so I can debug it, and send it to me via DropBox or something.

If you're using buoyancy on your ship, "clamp to surface" probably shouldn't be on anyhow. It could interfere with the physics I suppose. If your ship sinks without "clamp to surface" on, then the problem's in the buoyancy parameters and your ship's mass and density. Again, it will be much easier for me to guide you if I have a copy of a project that includes your ship and wake setup.

3. BBRome

BBRome

Ok, now we are talking about your demo scene forget the my velocity generation, is too much ask why the sphere works and the ship not?

4. sundog

sundog

Are you saying that if you take our demo scene, and do nothing but replace our sphere with your ship model, the wake looks different?

That's not the case for me, using the ship model you sent me earlier:

upload_2015-7-25_19-57-33.png

Once I get a project from you, I think that will clear up any miscommunications and I can offer you some concrete advice on your wake settings. It's starting to get late here in the US, so I'll check for that in the morning.

5. BBRome

BBRome

:) well... not only change the model, ok for tomorrow(for me Italy today)

6. BBRome

BBRome

I must say... Frank support is great, problem solved:)

sundog likes this.
  7. Imhotebkin

Imhotebkin

Hi! I recently updated unity to 5.1.1 (latest version) and Triton stop to react to lighting effect. Since I updated any changes to the light have no effect on the water at all. In the demo scene and in an empty project with the water the problem still persists. It also stop working with some skyboxes (cubed ones i think.)
    I got triton from the official site in the download section

8. sundog

sundog

Our demo scene uses a cube skybox for reflections - does it look OK to you? When reflections are in use, most of the water color is driven by the reflected sky and not by the lighting values.

The directional light color will still have some influence on the water color, however. I'm running with Unity 5.1.1 here, and as a test I ran our demo scene, and then changed the color of the directional light source specified in the Triton prefab. It definitely had an effect.

Any chance you just need to reconnect your directional light to the Triton prefab?

Failing that, try importing Triton into a new, clean project as a test and see if that works for you. Often Unity's cache will get corrupt when updating Unity or your assets.

9. gyh

gyh

Hi,I have something wrong with the triton 's" Coastal effects",only wen I closer to the terrain,the effects works,if a little far,the effects will lost.How can I do to make the coastline more wither and looks nicer
    And other question is when I distance the seaLevel about 100m ,the ocean looks like a black plane ,Why?
    Can you tell me how to modify the data to make the ocean look more beautiful.
    Looking forward to your reply!

Attached Files:

10. sundog

sundog

The coastal effects rely on a height map to tell Triton the depth of the water at any given point. The "Height Map Area" setting in the prefab determines how large of an area that height map covers; beyond that point, coastal effects won't work. So it sounds like you may need to increase that value.

I don't see the ocean turning into a black plane here when setting the TritonPrefab's Y position to 100. Could it be that you're moving the ocean above some lighter sky object that was providing lighter reflections when it was at 0?

Perhaps you don't have a valid directional light source attached to the Triton prefab's "directional light" property, or the ambient light in your scene is set too low? Either would result in overly dark water - these settings should represent the sunlight on the water.

How to "make the ocean look more beautiful" is entirely subjective. By default it's physically realistic. Usually what people want to do when they ask something like this is adjust the underlying color of the water. Something like this can be used to do that:

TritonUnity triton = (TritonUnity)(GameObject.FindObjectOfType(typeof(TritonUnity)));
    triton.GetOcean().SetRefractionColor(new Triton.Vector3(1,0,0));

The 1,0,0 will turn the water red. Of course you'll want to use a different color, perhaps a light blue for example if you're going for clear water over a shallow, sandy bottom like the Carribean.

You can also increase the amount of detail in the waves, but this will come at a performance cost:

TritonUnity triton = (TritonUnity)(GameObject.FindObjectOfType(typeof(TritonUnity)));
    triton.GetOcean().SetQuality(Triton.OceanQuality.BEST);

11. Uli_Okm

Uli_Okm

Hi @sundog , i'm trying to use Triton in a project in the company i work at, but im having a few problems:
    - When i download the unity package from asset store and import in my project, there is the need to put the serial number or something like this in the Triton prefab? Or i only need to use the already set prefab in the demo scene?
    - Also, im using Unity 5.1.1 and i cant make triton work in directx 9. It should work, right? All i get is a flat plane, even using the demo version from your website. This happens in the editor and compiled. When i use the same .exe in another pc with direct x 11 support, everything work fine.
    Any help?

12. sundog

sundog

The version of Triton obtained from the asset store, or via online purchase at our website, will include a license code in the prefab already. You shouldn't have to do anything.

Maybe this is a stupid question - but I can't for the life of me find an option for DirectX 9 in the player settings in Unity 5.1.1. Triton does work with DirectX 9, but I don't know how to make Unity use it! Are you running on a computer that has a video card that only supports DX9 and therefore forcing Unity into DX9 as a fallback or something?

There may be information in the log that's relevant, or if you open up the file assets/triton/tritonresources/triton.config in a text editor and change the first two settings to "yes", you should get some pop-up messages from Triton as it starts up that may explain what's going on. My guess would be that some system DLL's that it needs aren't present, or your card is too low-end to handle Triton's shaders.

13. gyh

gyh

Thank you foryou

hi,thank you for your reply,now i have another question,here i use the version is the latest version,and 5.1 unity,but when i start my project ,i will show
    "Screen position out of view frustum (screen pos 1968966144.000000, 1683390464.000000, 0.000008) (Camera rect 0 0 749 314) UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()"
    the eror, how can I to do to solve the problem?
    Looking forward to your reply!

14. sundog

sundog

I don't think that has anything to do with Triton. I Googled this error, and this came up: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/screen-position-out-of-view-frustum.9918/

Also, I received your private message about your problem with running Unity in "Debug Mode" and getting an error about Visual Studio 2013. Your screenshot didn't come through, but my guess is you need to install the Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition in order to get the necessary DLL's installed for this. I don't really understand the problem you were trying to diagnose, however - a sample project or screenshot would help me understand.

For some reason I can't reply to private messages in this forum this morning; seems to be a bug in the forum software.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  15. gyh

gyh

Thank for your reply again. The image is the scne i run in the Unity. it's a screenshot of the original sample scene. The red stroke 1 shows a decal example, and the camera now is in a relatively high position. It's a pity that the unity just breaks down(the popup window emerges, the red stroke 2), when the camera goes up high, and now the viewing angle is kind of overlook. when i remove the decal and restart the scene again, wherever the camera goes, it goes very well, so i wonder that something is wrong with the decal.Did you ever meet with this situation?

16. sundog

sundog

Your image didn't come through again - it looks like you posted a URL to your local file system there. But, I was able to reproduce what you're describing - if you set up a decal and view it from a high altitude (specifically over 100 meters,) it can result in a crash when using DirectX 11.

I've fixed the underlying bug in Triton and that will go out with our next release. In the meantime however, there is a workaround for the problem:

- Open up the file Assets/Triton/TritonResources/Triton.config in a text editor.

- Look for this:

# The altitude at which we switch to a planar mesh
    mesh-switch-altitude = 100

- Change the 100 to some altitude you won't go above in your game, such as 10000.

- Save the Triton.config file and restart your scene in Unity.

Hope this helps.

17. Uli_Okm

Uli_Okm

Just another question:
    It is possible to make the water react to lights other than the directional light?

18. sundog

sundog

I'm afraid not, unless it were some sort of post-processing approach that blended bright spots over the water from a camera drawn after the one Triton is in.

For what it's worth, real water doesn't actually react that much to things like spotlights. Most of that light just ends up getting refracted into the water. Go shine a flashlight on a pool at night and you'll see what I mean! (Yes, I've actually done that in the name of science.)

19. veddycent

veddycent

Quick question.

I'm having trouble getting a realistic ship buoyancy so I'm wondering what where the settings you used for the ship in this video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eAAnDYVGlU
    i.e. the rigidbody and buoyancy variables.

Any help would be much appreciated
    Thanks

20. sundog

sundog

Sure, here are the settings for the ship in that video:

21. veddycent

veddycent

Hey,
    I'm experiencing a bug where the Unity editor keeps crashing when using Triton. I'll play the scene and it's all ok but after stopping then playing again Unity crashes, closing instantly. It sometimes crashes as soon as i click play. The scene is the default setup with Triton and nothing else. I've tested with the demo scene and the same thing keeps happening.
    I've also checked the editor.log and it doesn't even register the crash.

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?
    Regards

EDIT: I've also updated Triton to the latest version and the same thing keeps happening

22. sundog

sundog

Yes, I've heard this from a few users. Seems something changed in Unity recently to have triggered this.

We're working on an update that fixes this along with reported issues with Oculus that were introduced in Unity 5.1.3. For now however, there is a workaround that seems to work for everyone so far. Edit the TritonUnity.cs script, and add this at the top of the OnDestroy() function:

System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(1000);

It would seem that Unity is disposing of our native DLL's before they have a chance to shut down cleanly.

If that's not it, I've also seen issues with some NVidia drivers that break our usage of DirectX11 compute shaders. If that's the case, edit the Assets/Triton/TritonResources/Triton.config file, and set "disable-compute-shaders" to "yes". It will automatically fall back to an alternate method that may work better.

23. veddycent

veddycent

I was thinking that it might have been something to do with the 'clean up' of files.
    Thanks for the fix!

Regards

24. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_

I'm trying to implement a reduced FOV zoom view to simulate binoculars. When viewing in this fashion it becomes rather obvious that the waves flatten out a certain distance from the camera. Is there anyway to extend this distance? I swept through <triton.config>, but didn't see anything obvious. I realize there are probably performance considerations since the water really is flat and distant models I'm viewing aren't rolling on the ocean like they do when the camera is close. If this is adjustable, perhaps I can split the difference a bit so the eye isn't drawn to the waves suddenly ending. If not, any ideas?

25. sundog

sundog

Ah, good question. To answer it directly, the Triton.config setting fft-displacement-damping-distance is what flattens the waves with distance. It's only there to avoid aliasing in the distance; you shouldn't see any performance hit from increasing it. Depending on how far you're zooming in, you might also want to increase fft-noise-distance.

However, an even better solution would be to use the Triton.Environment.SetZoomLevel() API from a script - that will handle everything automatically. The environment object is exposed by TritonUnity's GetEnvironment method.

One other consideration is that the water's mesh loses resolution the farther out from the camera you go, so you may be zooming into an area that lacks the geometry density needed for good looking waves. If you encounter this, you may need to increase the mesh-grid-resolution setting.

26. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_

Thanks for the reply as always. An adjustment to fft-displacement-damping-distance does indeed correct the problem. The waves go out further and the target I'm looking at is also influenced by wave activity.

Independent of the fft-displacement-damping-distance adjustment, I've also implemented the SetZoomLevel() API call as you suggested which also displays the waves going out further. In this case, however, the waves don't seem to be influencing the target I'm looking at though. The waves look like they're there from a distance as expected, but the target physics and associated Triton water heights seem to simulate the target sitting in flat water. Did I miss a step or is the SetZoomLevel() for display purposes only? Your documentation of SetZoomLevel() says, "This method does NOT modify the projection matrix you passed in with SetProjectionMatrix(), so it will NOT actually change the field of view of the ocean rendering - that's up to you when constructing the projection matrix." It seems the projection matrix is updated every frame in the Triton scripts, so in Unity terms and context, I'm thinking you just mean that the FOV of the Unity camera needs to be adjusted separately.

To be fair, the display issue was much more important than the distant wave physics. I'm not sure how much of an issue that will really be. I'm still contemplating which way to go on this and have some questions on each:

Do you have a rough relationship between Triton zoom factors and FOV changes in Unity? I realize there's a lot of factors, but I wanted to try and get something realistic instead of just tweaking the zoom level until everything "looks good."

What artifacting would you expect from the fft-displacement-damping-distance adjustment? I increased this quite a bit initially and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Perhaps my inexperienced eye is missing something though which will haunt me later. Otherwise, I'm tempted to go this route since it seems to provide what I need.

27. sundog

sundog

The zoom level should be whatever you've divided your "base" FOV by to achieve your magnified view. So, if you go from a 45 degree FOV to a 22.5 degree FOV, the zoom factor is 2.

SetZoomLevel() basically tells Triton to treat everything as though it's that much closer to the camera. You're right that you need to change to FOV or zoom level in Unity as well.

There's no harm in both increasing fft-displacement-damping-distance and calling SetZoomLevel() if that's what you need for good results. The only artifact you might see from increasing fft-displacement-damping-distance is motion aliasing in the distance while the camera is moving and waves are high. That can be mitigated by increasing the mesh resolution, however.

28. Discaulit

Discaulit

Hello !

I am currently using the trial version of Triton Ocean with Unity Pro 4.6.5f, to see if we can use it in a product for my company.

I need to synchronize the waves across multiple computers but, I fail to do so despite my searches and tests.

I've read in this thread (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/tr...o-windows-released.151871/page-6#post-1399999 and http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/tr...o-windows-released.151871/page-8#post-1741442) that all I should have to do is to synchronize the time.

Unfortunately, I've tried to do so in many different ways (putting Network.Time instead of Time.timeSinceLevelLoad ; or using a var synchronized via OnSerializeNetworkView for example) and the time seems synchronized, but the waves are not.

I am also trying SylverLining and I successfully synchronized the clouds by setting the Random.Seed on the different computers using an RPC AllBuffered call from the Server once there is at least one connection.

Do you have any suggestion ?

Regards

29. twobob

twobob

Just cos this is the best project I never bought... and since I bird-dog the thread... and this is the 1st time I have ever known anything that might be actually helpful...

How to Force Dx9 on U5

Player Settings.
    Disable the Automatic setting.
    Drag the Dx9 to the top.

upload_2015-9-7_9-36-27.png

Golden.

30. sundog

sundog

Discaulit: My guess would be that you're not catching all of the places where timestamps are sent into Triton. Currently, they are:

1. The call to ocean.UpdateSimulation() in TritonUnity.Update() (Odds are good that this is the one you need most of all)

2. The call to UnityBindings.SetUnityTime() in TritonUnity.Draw() (Which I suspect you already got)

Also, if you are using any of our other effects, you'll want to catch:

- The call to wakeGenerator.Update() toward the end of TritonWakeGenerator.cs
    - The call to rotorWash.Update() in TritonRotorWash.cs
    - The call to impact.Trigger() in TritonImpact.cs

Another possibility is that the initial conditions are not the same across each channel; be sure the same wind speed and direction are set on each one.

Discaulit likes this.
  31. Discaulit

Discaulit

Sundog: I did not catch the ocean.UpdateSimulation() indeed.

I will check if I need the other one too (I think so) but right now the waves are synchronized.
    I feel a little stupid for not having checked for every Time.timeSinceLevelLoad in the scripts before asking for help ...

Thanks a lot for the quick and accurate answer !

32. pixelquaternion

pixelquaternion

Hi there,

Just a simple question here, if i want to do a ship simulator would Triton make harbor having big wave when ocean is set to heavy state?

In harbor usually the water is relatively calm even if in open sea there is big waves so i was wondering if you have some kind of blending transitions to make the ocean waves getting less intense when approaching harbor.

33. sundog

sundog

pixelquaternion: Great question (seriously.) We did in fact think of that. If you enable "coastal effects" in Triton, then it builds up a height map of the terrain surrounding the camera. Assuming you have terrain underneath your harbor at a realistic depth, Triton will dampen the waves as a function of depth. The amount of this effect can be influenced with the "below water visibility" setting.

So to be clear, we don't model things like jetties or breakwaters stopping approaching waves, but shallow areas like harbors will have smaller waves just by virtue of the depth of the water.

34. Discaulit

Discaulit

Hello,

I just uploaded the new version of Triton, and now the sea is displayed at the sky / at the top of my screen, even in the demo scene.
    (see the screenshot; the error message from the screenshot is probably because I did not import the OVR part of the package, as I don't need it).

I use Unity 5.2.1p2 64bit, with dx11.

Do you know any way to fix it ?

Regards

TritonOceanAsSky.png

35. sundog

sundog

There are problems with the OVR plugin in 5.2.1 it turns out anyhow - we hope to upload a new build of Triton today that gets around that particular issue.

As for your upside-down water - check the troubleshooting section of our documentation ( http://sundog-soft.com/sds/2014/07/triton-oceans-unity-pro-documentation/ ) in the "If the orientation of the water seems flipped" topic. Sometimes Unity renders the scene upside-down before passing it to us without giving us any way to know, but there is a workaround.

36. Discaulit

Discaulit

Hi,

I have some kind of bug with - I think - the planar reflection and the water color. As you can see in the screenshots, the water color is okay until a kind of height. Above this height, it seems it takes the color not from the SilverLining sky but from a blue skybox (at least that's what I suppose).
    If I disable the planar reflection, I can set the color to whatever I want and I have no such problem : the water is the same color everywhere.
    Another way I have find to workaround this problem is to set the Triton prefab's Y value to -2 or less. But doing that it seems to reduce the water height a bit so that the boat is too high. And if I want to lower the boat and the cameras, the problem come back again.

I checked your FAQ for answers but :
    If the color of the water looks wrong, check a few things:
    • Is the ambient light in the Render Settings set too low?
      -> No, it is above (32,32,32).
    • Did you forget to associate a Directional Light with Triton? If not, is that light pointing in the wrong direction?
      -> I have done "triton.directionalLight = [SunOrMoonLight];" from SilverLining's sun or moon.
    • Is something wrong with the cube map you’re passing in? Try removing it, and activate the Auto Generate Cube Map property to see.
      -> I do not pass cubeMap, and when auto generate one does not fix the problem.
    • Did you turn on Use Render Settings Fog, and have too low of a fog density set in the Render Settings? Is the fog color consistent with the time of day?
      -> Here it is maybe not really high, but even when I set the fogDensity to 0.00350f this problem arise.

Also, I have set my _silverLiningSky scale to 50000 with my TritonWaterPlaneEditor scale to 100000 and my camera's farClip to 50000.
      Here the wind speed is set to 27 m/s (I just realise I forget to convert my speed into Kt).
      Does it have something to do with "decal-volume-height = 15.0" ? In which unit is it ? I even tried to increase this value to 35.0 but it does not solve the problem).

At least while writing this comment I realised my mistake with the speed, and now with the conversion I set the wind speed to ~14, which is not enough for this error to arise, but I still want to let you know about this.

Regards
    TritonWeirdColor.png TritonWeirdColor2.png

37. sundog

sundog

That's really weird; I've never seen that before. I haven't been able to reproduce it using the latest Triton for Unity either. Can you make sure you're using our most current release? If so, I'll need you to send us a project illustrating the problem that we can dig into.

38. Discaulit

Discaulit

I'm using the version from the 8th of October; but I had the same problem with the previous version (did not go deep into it until now as I had other things to look at before).
    As far as I know, it should be the latest update (minus the OVR part you talked about in your previous comment).

I'll try to get a project I can share from my current working project in the next few days (hopefully today - France) with this bug.

39. fangfang00

fangfang00

捕获1.PNG
    there is a problem in "Impactor Example".

there are 40 seconds after i paly the sence , kick "Trigger" is not use. using the nearlest trition Oceans.

thanks.

40. sundog

sundog

I'm not sure I understand the issue. At least on my PC running with DirectX 11, if I hit the "trigger" checkbox, it causes a clear impact to appear in the scene. I think you might be saying that you're having trouble having many impact effects active at once.

If so, I think you're running into the upper limit on how many impact waves can be maintained at once in Triton. You can raise this limit, however. Open up the file assets/triton/tritonresources/triton.config in a text editor, and look for this line:

max-circular-waves-dx11 = 10

Try changing it to:

max-circular-waves-dx11 = 50

And, I think you'll find that helps.

41. fangfang00

fangfang00

you are right. thank you .

42. fangfang00

fangfang00

i find another issue.
    捕获111.PNG
    "Time Scale" set 2. 40 seconds after i play the sence , i first kick the "Trition Impact" 's trigger . it is no use.
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    捕获123.PNG
    "Time Scale" set 2. i play the sence , and at once kick the "Trition Impact" 's trigger . the wave diameter is big too much .

when "Time Scale" set 5, the wave diameter is big too much too much.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    total: "Time Scale" impact “Trition Impact”.how To deal with that problem. thank you .

43. sundog

sundog

What I see is that the same wave is generated, but it propagates outward faster, just as it should if you are accelerating time.

If you want the wave to be smaller, try reducing the velocity of the impactor. For example a velocity of 250 will produce a noticeably smaller wave.

I should also let you know that we are phasing out support of our Unity products. If you haven't purchased a license yet, it's important that you determine that Triton meets your needs before buying. While we'll continue to answer questions for our customers, we are not planning any future updates to Triton for Unity, and it has been removed from the Asset Store. See http://sundog-soft.com/sds/2015/11/were-pulling-our-packages-from-the-unity-asset-store/ for more information.

44. fangfang00

fangfang00

i am sorry to hear that.

45. Rave-TZ

Rave-TZ

Any idea what may be causing geometry sorting issues?

OSX

Unity 5.2.2.p3

46. sundog

sundog

That seems strange. What is your camera height? If the issue only seems to happen when you camera is above 100 units, try opening up the file assets/triton/tritonresources/triton.config in a text editor, and increase the value of mesh-switch-altitude to something much higher.

It may also be that your scene is set up in such a way that Triton is rendering to a camera that does not have depth buffer information from your terrain. Make sure you've associated the correct camera(s) with Triton's prefab settings, or via script.

47. Rave-TZ

Rave-TZ

No go on any of that. It only sorts if I go to a height of 562 regardless of the mesh-switch-altitude setting.

The camera was originally at a height of 7. I've disabled all other existing cameras and effects (I needed a particle camera before).

I did find the source of the problem however. Triton lost compatibility with the Pro Flares package. Things worked once I disabled the lens flare system.

48. Rave-TZ

Rave-TZ

Now I'm trying to isolate why the water renders dark in a scene. I removed everything to try and isolate the source and even copied the Triton Prefab, the main camera, and directional light into the scene while deleting everything else. I made sure the lighting settings matched too. This is what I get (I turned off planar reflections to highlight the issue.

The water is dark and doesn't have any white texture at the choppy peaks.

If I copy / paste the water from the example into a new scene, I get expected results.

49. sundog

sundog

Looks like reflections are off in the first scene, which will definitely affect the color a lot.

But beyond that - check the ambient light settings. That can make a big difference, and since ambient light is kind of hard to find in the editor these days, that's often the issue.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  50. Rave-TZ

Rave-TZ

Ambient light was in fact the source of the issue. There was a bug where it ignored skybox ambient light so I set it to color and noticed it was black. Setting it back to skybox after that fixed it. I think this one is on Unity.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.