Search Unity

Bug Triplanar normal shader issues

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by Airship, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Airship

Airship

I'm having some issues where the Triplanar Shader graph node is giving artifacts for normal maps. I didn't have this issue with earlier versions of Unity / Shader Graph. Issue occurs in both HDRP and URP.

Anyone else have this issue?

In HDRP, If I use the HDRP/Lit shader (instead of my custom shader graph shader) and set the Base UV Mapping to Triplanar, everything looks good, so I am confident there is nothing wrong with the underlying mesh.

Attached Files:

2. wouldntsavezion

wouldntsavezion

I'm having a very similar issue here on 2020.2

3. StuwuStudio

StuwuStudio

yeahhhh it's totally broken. still not fixed. bump

4. HonduneGames

HonduneGames

This is still a problem, however changing the model import settings under Tangents to "Calculate Legacy" fixes it for me.

KYL3R likes this.
  5. KYL3R

KYL3R

Thank you! I already played with the smoothing angle and changed the Tangents mode, but didn't try "legacy". That worked!

I am using Shadergraphs Triplanar Node, feed it world-space normals (as it demands) but I still got this strange effect on the normals.

According to bgolus the Shadergraph Triplanar node doesn't handle normals correctly, as it assumes the calculated normals are in world space: https://forum.unity.com/threads/shadergraph-triplanar-object-space-normal-mapping-help.546322/

I only noticed this problem on a curved mesh, which I could resolve by using "import legacy" for now: