Search Unity

Tried UI Builder, loads of issues

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by JDMulti, Mar 22, 2021.

1. JDMulti

JDMulti

Today I took a first look at the UI Toolkit and Builder package.
    I've installed:
    • 2020.2.1f1
    • UI Toolkit 1.0.0. preview 14
    • UI Builder 1.0.0. preview 13
    I'm not sure if I do things right as I see some pretty nice GUI's created by other users but my experience is completely different from what I see.

My first impressions were nothing but to call the package an abomination above all I've seen so far from all Unity packages. For some reason I simply can't seem to use the UI Builder without any issues.

Let me explain why (just a few of many)
    • It's incredible slow, every simple change takes about x seconds to take effect. I remember someone of Unity who said that Unity UI and workflow should comply to Google standards of not having more then x milliseconds of a delay. Well, the builder doesn't meet that expectation at all.
    • Color selection wheel, just doesn't work after few clicks within the Builder GUI. Everytime I try to select an alpha value, it just closes the color window.
    • When saving, your complete preview of de created UI is totally screwed. To make it appear as how you designed it, you have to save, close the builder and reopen de UIDocument. And this is every single time you save something.
      builder save bug.png
    • Editor Console is spitting out loads of errors while working with the builder, maybe this is slowing down the Builder GUI itself.
      builder console errors.PNG
    And the list goes on. I've spend 2 hours creating something simple and get it perfect. First I had to get used to the new idea of all inspector values, how to setup everything and such. Then I tried to create a simple UI, which took me 30min with the current system and I don't even feel I made something that works. Compared to the current system in which I create this (from screenhots) in under 1 min.

I hope I'm doing something wrong because for me the UI Toolkit is far from useable. I wonder if anyone else experience this?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    marcospgp likes this.
  2. pierre_10

pierre_10

Unity Technologies

Hi guys,

I'm one of the QA for UI toolkit, to follow up on the issues, most are resolved or being worked on at the moment. We spent a lot of time fixing user experience defect and performance issues within the last few weeks. The poor performance was probably due to a package mismatch, going to a later version of unity, everything UITK is now imbedded. There is still one issue that you guys are experiencing that eludes us is the preview layout being all kind of messed up after a save. We are actively working on this one and should be resolved soon.

raymondyunity and Kazko like this.
  3. Kazko

Kazko

Could you please clarify which version will have it embedded? 2021.1.0f1 still has the packages in package manager, however I thought there was a mention that from this version, it should be included. Thanks for info.

4. sebastiend-unity

sebastiend-unity

Unity Technologies

"everything [...] embedded" could be rephrased as:

Coming 2021.2 (so, anyone trying out alpha versions at the moment would be in this situation), the UI Toolkit and the UI Builder are directly included in the editor, no need for packages anymore.

Anything earlier still uses packages.

5. raymondyunity

raymondyunity

Unity Technologies

@JDMulti
    Can you report the bug through the Unity bug reporter with that project please. This layout saving bug is high priority on our list and we would like some more information on how you are able to reproduce the problem consistently.

6. DovitItalia

DovitItalia

I was excited the day unity announced this, and I watch their progress from time to time. Today I wanted to try it and sadly i had your same feeling. I know it is a "work in progress" and we (users) has to constantly be feeded with news but, I encountered so many obvious problems that I wonder if is the case to show it to the world instead of just work on that and release when it is ready.

I hoped that would be game changer for the well known slow UI system but as is it is far far away to be usable, when, sincerely, i expected a bit more seeing the 2 years passed since the announcement

Just to add a new test case: i simple created an uidocument, 1 scrollview with inside 3 columns of text component. builted for android (an android H96 Max, not the best android device, but a low end/average device) and, it crashes almost immediately

7. raymondyunity

raymondyunity

Unity Technologies

@DovitItalia Thank you for the excitement for UI Builder. Can you turn off "Optimized Frame Pacing" in Player Settings. And try your build again?

8. MoruganKodi

MoruganKodi

It is unfortunatly far easier to deal with hand-written UXML and USS, particularly if building complex UI systems arount UITK.