Search Unity

Feature Request tried 10 different packages for curving canvases and they're all hard coded into using VR

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by ChrisRapczynski, Mar 14, 2023.

1. ChrisRapczynski

ChrisRapczynski

I was just looking for a tool to curve a canvas so I could do something like this:

they all require vr integration, I tried to manually get them not to by only taking the bare minimum to just bend the canvas to a cyllinder but it just wont work. does anyone know how they would do this? Im surprised how unities ui tools like buttons and scroll bars make it so you dont have to code anything like raycasting mouse position yourself, but then something as simple as trying to get an effect like above is a total nightmare. Ive been through like 10 packages and 30 forum posts, and all the ones that are not made only for vr are outdated to the point of not working at all.

does anyone know anything that could help? I find it impossible to believe that there arent tons of people who have tried to achieve an effect like this who have zero interest in vr

its incredibly frustrating that every single possible solution is immediately deadended by only being made for vr, ie the scripts are coded to be based on tracking your hand positions as an example, from top to bottom they're like this so Im really struggling on converting them to just work at all without hundreds of null reference errors due to their VR integration.

I really feel like being able to curve the canvas by an angle value should already be an intrinsic feature of unity at this point. I would have expected this to be a feature before thinks like scroll menus were made default components

2. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

Do it through a shader. Light weight, low performance.

3. ChrisRapczynski

ChrisRapczynski

been almost a week of trying and its still a nightmare. using a material creates so many rendering problems its not even funny. for example, when you want to mask parts of the ui for fold out menu's they either dont listen if the depth test is "always", or they only render on top of some things, not including the skybox, with "great equals" with no way to actually change the depth layer so it would render on top of everything but still be maskable, this is completely unreasonable. It's ludicrous that I can make an entire character model, rigged and textured, in blender with zero hiccups but making a UI like above is a total nightmare.

4. ChrisRapczynski

ChrisRapczynski

another week and yeah, putting a material on a ui element removes its ability to get masked. probably went through every forum mentioning it 3 times and none of their "solutions" work. Kind of starting to think this engine is an elaborate joke. that I cant have a menu fold out via the use of a mask on a viewport if I also want that ui element to have an emission property like its a hologram. Having to heavily restrain myself to not say anything regrettable right now, I think I almost punched a hole in the wall at least 3 times in the past two weeks trying to get UI stuff set up.