Search Unity

Tricky: Wants Game window to receive mouse event in Editor and not in playing mode

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by cybie, Aug 16, 2013.

1. cybie

cybie

I want to move the game camera around with mouse-look type of behavior, in Editor and not during gameplay mode.

I tried two ways:
    1) Attach a ExecuteinEditMode "MoveCamera" script to the camera, however, the Update doesn't get call regularly.
    2) Then I tried to put the camera code in OnGUI of the same script. It gets called every time I press the mouse button in the game window, but the Event.current.isMouse is never true, and the Event.current.button is always 0 (even if I pressed middle and right button).

Anyone have ideas on how I can achieve this?

Thanks
    David

2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I would just use normal scripting to do it, then remove said script before building finished game

3. cybie

cybie

Ok I worked out the magic combination, although I don't fully understand it.

The goal is to allow the Game View to received mouse event in the Editor, and not during playmode.

First you have make your component [ExecuteInEditMode]. Then enter the follow for OnGUI:

Code (csharp):
    2. void OnGUI()
    3. {      
    4.     if (Event.current.type == EventType.Layout || Event.current.type == EventType.Repaint)
    5.     {
    6.         EditorUtility.SetDirty(this); // this is important, if omitted, "Mouse down" will not be display
    7.     }
    8.     else if (Event.current.type == EventType.MouseDown)
    9.     {
    10.         Debug.Log("Mouse down");
    11.     }
    12. }
    Then you should be receiving mouse event in the Game View even if the game is not playing.

David Lam

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024