Search Unity

Trial by Viking - Out today on Steam!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by dqhendricks, Aug 7, 2014.

1. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Hi Unity people! This is Trial by Viking, a side-scrolling platformer where you are a viking working as an agent of Odin. In unfamiliar lands, you will meet friends and foes, solve a few puzzles, and gain the powers needed to stop the trickster god, Loki. If you are able to survive tricky gauntlets of magic and steel, you will find yourself face to face with some of the worst terrors that the nine worlds have to offer. Good luck!

Features:
    • morph into a polar bear
    • control a flying Valkyrie through mazes of hazards
    • ride on the claws of a great owl like a zip line
    • fight a Kraken in a swimming pool
    • bombs, double jump, dash, grappling hook
    • an ice axe for freezing enemies and turning them in to stepping stones
    • ride on a viking ship while having axe battles with Kobolds
    • keys, switches, gears, ropes, hidden areas, and other tricky elements
    • 130 levels
    • 27 intense boss/miniboss battles
    • 20 permanent upgrades
    • Over 75 unique ai/enemies
    • power ups like mini viking, metal viking, and time slow
    Web: lastlifegames.com/trialbyviking
    Twitter: @0xlastlifegames
    Mailing List: click here

Update #1:

Development of Trial by Viking started at the end of 2013. Honestly this game started out with an idea of mixing Ghosts and Goblins with Cut the Rope, because I thought that would be weird and cool, but it has grown into something so far from that. I really wanted to give the game a great feel, and some of the earlier concepts just weren't right. I still make use of ropes and being able to cut them to solve puzzles, but I have changed it so that you use an axe to cut ropes instead of some sort of mouse/touch system.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    pcg and calmcarrots like this.
  2. zenGarden

zenGarden

150 levels so it's not metroid like ? As metroid games are one or few big maps , castelvania games beeing mainly one main big level.
    The background will need more work, is there any video ?

3. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Hello zenGarden! Yeah, you are right. A true Metroidvania has a seamless world. This does however focus on the idea of exploration, seeking permanent upgrades, and needing those upgrades in order to gain access to certain areas. I am still trying to work out my pitch at this point.

I have been shopping artists for backgrounds. Since the game is orthographic, I have been playing around with the idea of layered 2D parallaxing backgrounds.

As for video, I haven't released any significant video yet, but I do have some animated gifs that I plan to post. I will post one later today when I get to my desktop.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  4. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Update #2:

One of the things I had liked about Spelunky, is how different elements in the game can sort of interact with each other. I made sure that many of the elements in Trial by Viking can affect each other in maybe unexpected ways, which sets up some interesting situations. For instance, you may throw a boomerang to activate a switch that turns on a fan that can blow a block upward enough for you to push it onto a ledge with a pressure plate that opens a door.

I will add some more gifs soon so you can see some other interesting mechanics in action, and probably some combat as well.

5. zenGarden

zenGarden

Looks great in motion , remeber the old game "Gods" on amiga.
    Keep the good work.

pcg and dqhendricks like this.
  6. Dunkelheit

Dunkelheit

Looks good.

- Have you planned to launch the game on Steam Greenlight?
    - Could you share some gameplay vid?
    - Tell us about the production of this game. How many people have worked on it? How long does it took? Which assets have you used and so on?

dqhendricks likes this.
  7. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Thanks! I never played Gods, but the screenshots look pretty cool

8. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Thanks! I'm trying to hold off on releasing any video until I have some of the new backgrounds finished, so the ETA on that is sort of up in the air. I will keep posting more gifs here until then though.

There is one programmer/designer (me), and one 3D artist (Cameron Orr) mainly. We have been working on this since the end of December 2013. I am hunting talented free agents for backgrounds. Erik Braa, the voice of Jax and Draven in League of Legends and some stuff on the Telltale Walking Dead series, will be helping with VO work for the cut scenes. Erik is a viking himself, so it's going to be awesome.

I will be launching a campaign on Steam Greenlight probably at the same time as a Kickstarter that'd I'd like to create in order to get console devkits, and pay for some of the audio work. I am waiting on the new backgrounds to launch these as well though, so it's hard to say when at the moment. I will keep people posted on timelines here in the future if they are interested.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  9. Schneider21

Schneider21

Vikings are a sure way into my heart. Looking good!

dqhendricks likes this.
  10. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Thanks! I've always loved vikings and Norse mythology. It's cool being able to make a game about it.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  11. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Update #3:

Quick little gif of dash/roll. Allows you to plow through tough spots, as well as do some long distance jumping.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    Fab4 likes this.
  12. Yanneyanen

Yanneyanen

This has a nice old school feel, even though the graphics are high resolution. I like it. The effects are nice as well. Like with many games, the stills don't really do it justice, I feel. The gifs are awesome :)

dqhendricks likes this.
  13. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Thanks! Yeah, I'm using 3D with orthographic projection, and I think it turned out to be a good balance of old and new school feeling as far as sidescrollers go. I agree about the stills though. I'll just have to keep putting out more gifs I guess! The stills hopefully will start to look better once I have the new backgrounds in though.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  14. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Update #4:

Hey guys. Here's a quick gif of the gear mechanics. Gears can control a bunch of different level elements. You might need to connect certain gears together in order to be able to rotate them the correct way to unlock a passage for instance. I added this because it's something I haven't really seen around. It opens up some interesting situations level design wise, because it's not just an on/off switch, you can use it to move things between two values.

Working on all new parallaxing backgrounds, which I'll show some screens of soon.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  15. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Update #5:

Hey guys, I finally got some new animations for a Valkyrie character that's in the game. The idea was to have a few entire levels where the Valkyrie picks you up and flies upward as you steer her through hazards collecting sunstones. Here's the initial takeoff sequence so far.

NyxPixel1 likes this.
  16. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Update #6:

Hey guys. I wanted to show you a few gifs of the enemies in Trial by Viking. Sorry for the gif loads. o_O

Dragonkin can run and jump very fast, and if you aren't ready for it, you'll probably get stomped.

Gargoyles are sneaky creatures that hide among the statues. You have to be careful where you step.

A bit of wall jumping to escape the nasty claws of the Werewolf.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    GarBenjamin likes this.
  17. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Bot nad

dqhendricks likes this.
  18. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Thanks! Been working real hard on this. I think there is something like 50 distinct enemies in the game at this point. They are pretty fun to make.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  19. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Looking awesome! This is for Windows PC?

dqhendricks likes this.
  20. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Thanks! Yeah, there will definitely be a Windows PC build, as well as Mac. Likely I will make a Linux box and make a Linux build as well. I plan on running a Kickstarter campaign soon in order to afford console devkits, as well as improve a few other things in the game, so we will have to wait and see how that pans out before I promise any other platforms.

Runs fairly well on a four year old Win7 laptop with onboard Intel graphics, so the requirements to run it are pretty low. I've even tried running the game on mobile, and it runs decent there too. A bit of profiling when I'm finished, and it should be pretty smooth all around.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  21. Pawl

Pawl

Looking good my man! If you need someone to test it, send over a build =)

If I could offer one piece of visual feedback, I think you would benefit from modifying some of the tiles to not look so repetitive. Also, I think it would help if you could round some of the hard edges (you could even write a simple algorithm to check neighboring tiles and do the replacement when you save the levels so you don't have to do it manually).

Keep it up!

dqhendricks likes this.
  22. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Hey thanks!

Yeah, I totally agree. Cameron, the texture artist, is making alternate tiles for each set that I can use to mix it up, and maybe some decals too. I also have started using half height and double sized tiles, which reduces the blocky feel, as well as makes running around a smoother experience since you can walk up them like steps. I have to go back and retrofit old levels with this however. I'll post pics soon.

Anyways, thanks for the advice! And I'll let you know when I start looking for testers for sure.

23. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Update #7:

Wanted to share some action gifs I took recently. Sorry for the long loads!

battling a wyvern and wind imp at the same time.

a quick cannon ride. also maybe the first time i've posted this background anywhere.

24. zenGarden

zenGarden

Seems some Amiga computer 2D platform greatness revival :)
    I like the new gameplay machanic of canon also.
    Will you have some gameplay demo ?

dqhendricks likes this.
  25. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Thanks zen! With all of the player movement, level, and dash tweaks I've been making lately, the gameplay is feeling really good. I will have a gameplay demo at some point, but I'm not sure when it will be released to the public. Likely when I need a PR boost. I'll definitely let people know when it's ready on this thread though.

26. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Okay i am liking this. Geez 150 levels thats a hell of a lot.

dqhendricks likes this.
  27. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

Looks nice :) I like so much the gif showing the gears, it's a cool idea :eek:

dqhendricks likes this.
  28. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Thanks Aiursrage! Yeah, it's a lot of levels, but many of them aren't too big so that I can keep the pain of dying to a minimum. There are some pretty elaborate ones as well however. :eek:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  29. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Thanks Chemaxmax! I wanted to make sure to come up with some things that I hadn't really seen before, and that's one of them. I think it turned out pretty well.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    Chemaxmax likes this.
  30. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Update #8:

I think this might be a good time to explain how the level and upgrade systems work, since it helps understand the game a lot better.

There are 150 levels, and completing each one unlocks the next. You need sunstones to purchase permanent upgrades for your character. I switched the currency system up a bit by making it persistent, meaning when you replay a level, all the sunstones that you have already found will be gone. It will tell you how many sunstones are remaining to be found for each level. This adds a bit of a treasure hunt element to the game.

Anyways, here is a quick snippet of the Hydra. It a really tough enemy that shoots fire balls from each of its heads, and if you get up in his face, he may try to swing you around a bit. You definitely don't want that.

31. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Update #9:

Everybody loves water levels, right? o_O

32. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

I don't like so much levels full of water but if there're only small parts of the stage with water it's different :D

dqhendricks likes this.
  33. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

I feel the same way!

34. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Update #10:

"Mario did it", is like the, "Simpsons did it", of platformer game mechanics.

Chemaxmax and zenGarden like this.
  35. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

Alice in Wonderland did it :D

dqhendricks likes this.
  36. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

37. garza

garza

wow great work the bosses.
    what are the different powerups?

dqhendricks likes this.
  38. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Hey thanks garza! Here are the power ups so far.

• Time slow + viking speed boost.
    • Metal viking (invincibility)
    • Tiny viking
    • Morph into a bear
    • Extra jump boost
    • Health boost
    There may be more added at some point however. I've been playing around with a few ideas having to do with water, poison and gravity. There's also a host of more permanent upgrades to buy with various passive effects.

39. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Update #11:

For the story, I knew I wanted to touch on themes of betrayal and retribution, the non-linear nature of time in Norse mythology, and some kick-ass friends that play a part in saving the cosmos with you. I decided the best way to tell it was through game engine made cut scenes and scripted interactions with NPCs during levels as well. In this part of the story, our friend's feathered spy barely escapes. This is a WIP at this point, but I will update here as it get's more polished.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  40. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Update #12:

Here's what it looks like to be fighting a treant at night. They have rotating shield magic as well as a stomping power that sends tremors your way. A very tough opponent.

Yanneyanen and AthosK like this.
  41. Yanneyanen

Yanneyanen

Looking fantastic! Nice work : )

dqhendricks likes this.
  42. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Update #13:

If there is anything I hate, it's crates. I can't seem to complete a level without smashing every last one. :D

Kellyrayj likes this.
  43. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Looking really nice!

dqhendricks likes this.
  44. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Update #14:

Some levels are a little puzzly, but other levels are just a mad dash. :D

45. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Update #15:

I've had this idea for a level that has rising water for a while now. I finally got around to it. You have 15 seconds of breath, and the water wakes up the anglers spread throughout the level. some other cool ideas were changing the pitch of the water rushing in sound, depending on whether you are submerged or not. eventually you will be able to get an upgrade from odin that doubles your breath time. all together i think it came out really cool.

46. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

Update #16:

Throughout the game, there are levels where you ride a viking long boat. This means you have to play fast and not miss the bus. Since I have other levels where you can actually swim in the water, I had to find a way to make this water lethal. So I added a megalodon :D

47. zenGarden

zenGarden

The parallax is really nice.

dqhendricks likes this.
  48. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

thanks! i put each of these boat levels in canals, so that I could still get away with a lot of motion in the background. it's kind of hard to see from the tiny gif though.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  49. Cheburek

Cheburek

looks very impressive!

50. dqhendricks

dqhendricks

thanks! i've been working really hard on this :confused: