Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

Tri-Soup-Shmup wip dev thread.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by Snowflower, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Snowflower

Snowflower

Tri Soup Shmup - WIP Dev Thread

This is a side project of mine, spending the occasional weekend bits of time in learning how to develop a shoot-em-up within the unity framework and experiment with the Unity engine.

I've spent around 3 days on it so far, it was originally born as a gamejam game but ive enjoyed tinkering with it some more and had some people express interest in more updates to the game.

I'm looking for user feedback on its playability/difficulty, so there isnt focus on visuals right now so its a bit 'abstract' in visual style.
    I'm a big shmup fan and hoping to get some critique from fellow shmup players on how it can be improved.

Webplayer demo is here:
    http://bit.ly/ySuviN

It should run at 60fps for everyone, if its running slow for you, please let me know your computer setup.

Things on the to-do list
    • Controls are not remappable at this time
    • No gamepad support yet
    • More firing patterns
    • Scene variation
    • Enemy pattern variation
    • Bosses
    • Skinning it with sprites or using models for some things would come later, I care about the gameplay most of all.

Some technical bits of info for anyone curious:
    -I use unity pro and manage all the 'sprites' in my own code and put them into a dynamic mesh each frame, like the unity procedural mesh demo does.

-The camera is a normal perspective 3d camera , all the gameplay elements are roughly at the same depth. I have my own collision code where I 'flatten' the tests to 2d so any slight nudging of depth values for rendering+sorting reasons dont cause problems.​

2. Obatztrara

Obatztrara

Why would you use ESDF instead o WASD? Where have you been for the last 50 years? :p

Apart from that, looks fun and polished. :)

3. Snowflower

Snowflower

I just did the ESDF thing since I had a few friends with AZERTY keyboard setups, which means wasd doesnt work at all due to key arrangement.

I'll probably just have WASD the default in the next build, and have a menu screen selection to select some premade remappings with a single mouse click.

And add support for arrow key movement too.