Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Trevas - sort of a metroidsoulsvania

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by happysunshineandthepoweroffriendship, Sep 2, 2019.

1. happysunshineandthepoweroffriendship

happysunshineandthepoweroffriendship

Metroidvania inspired by the souls series and N64 collect-a-thons. Run around collecting stuff, use this stuff to unlock new areas, collect more stuff to unlock more areas, repeat ad nauseam. You can also level up, talk to NPCs, buy items and engage in typical RPG shenanigans.

Plot:

Well, you are a knight or something in a dark fantasy world, there's some monsters and demons and zombies and knights roaming around, kill them before they kill you.

Features:

- Graphic and audio assets mostly from OpenGameArt and free resources because I can't do decent pixel art even if my life depended on it.

- Non-linear gameplay, explore all decrepit villages, Gothic cathedrals, satanic temples, creepy swamps, gloomy caves and scary castles on any order.

-Large variety of equipment, items and enemies.

A playable demo will (hopefully) be released very soon.

https://ggallin666.itch.io/trevas

Looking for feedback and suggestions

2. bloodwolftico

bloodwolftico

Wow... looks pretty good! I can't check the video cause Im at work, but I get the feeling the character gets a bit lost in the scenery? Like, he doesn't stand out enough.

I liked the levels :) and the whole medieval/souls vibe.

3. happysunshineandthepoweroffriendship

Yea, that's because I'm using DawnBringer's 16 color palette (https://lospec.com/palette-list/dawnbringer-16). In older versions I decreased the background brightness, but now I decided to go for a more genuine retro feel. So, I'm mostly avoiding to use colors not included in the palette and effects like translucency or bloom. Thanks by your feedback

bloodwolftico likes this.
  4. kdgalla

kdgalla

Additionally, it's difficult to distinguish the foreground and background elements in the scenery. You could probably get some ideas from old, NES games like Batman and Castlevania 3 which have very limited palettes but still looked really good for the time, and are very readable.

One of your screenshots already looks good in this regard: https://img.itch.zone/aW1hZ2UvNDc2MTAyLzI0NDU3NTgucG5n/original/12C2j9.png
    Here you have used more of the lighter color on the stairs and primarily the darker color on the background so that makes the foreground really stand-out. Some of your other screens are not so clear, though.

Over all, the graphics look really good. You definitely have a convincing retro look going on.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hard to look at. Appreciate the concept though.

6. bloodwolftico

bloodwolftico

I like how it looks, just hard to tell where the player is, the soft grey kind of blends in with the rest.

7. happysunshineandthepoweroffriendship

Castlevania 3 and Batman usually resort to very dark backgrounds to create contrast while I'm trying to emulate Little Samson's and Ninja Gaiden 3 more detailed style. Thanks by the suggestions, I'll definitely do something about the backgrounds issue.

This is the style I was aiming for

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's worth noting that the colours back then looked nothing like the source art colours, because developers would pick combinations that looked good on an actual CRT which changed the colours yet again. So it's fine to tweak things a bit for modern flat panels.

9. MadBrokli

MadBrokli

Very cool concept! Sometimes the character is a bit hard to distinguish from the background. The gameplay could be a touch slower maybe?

10. happysunshineandthepoweroffriendship

I made a gif displaying the protagonist's hyperactive idle animation, hopefully it'll be easier to distinguish him/her/it from the background

trevasgif.gif

MadBrokli likes this.
  11. happysunshineandthepoweroffriendship

Progress has been slow these weeks but hopefully I will have plenty of free time to work on this project until the end of the year. I plan to release a short demo after I finish this swamp level and fix a hundred bugs.

Prototype of a boss:

Made mixing two different sprites that I found on OpenGameArt:

12. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

The UI elements are a bit too big I think, the overall look is great