Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Tree size

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Domino-Studios, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Domino-Studios

Domino-Studios

Hi,

do I miss something or there is no way to resize a tree without retouch each branch ?

I bought some trees on the asset store, but they are not at the same scale of my scene. Is there any script to scale trees ?

Thx

2. WheresMommy

WheresMommy

Are you using the Tree Component in the Inspector? If yes, there is a kind of connections graph on the top of "Tree" Component. You should check, which of those you selected. If you check the i think lower one, you can press "R" and scale it and save it as prefab or whatever you prefer :)

3. Domino-Studios

Domino-Studios

I am not sure I understood all what you said, so forgive me if I am wrong.
    I select a tree in the hierarchy scale it and transform it as a prefab. I set it as a tree on the terrain painting tool but the size has not change.

Also, I have nothing on the top of "tree" than the transform component.

4. Domino-Studios

Domino-Studios

I am not sure I understood all what you said, so forgive me if I am wrong.
    I select a tree in the hierarchy scale it and transform it as a prefab. I set it as a tree on the terrain painting tool but the size has not change.

Also, I have nothing on the top of "tree" than the transform component.

5. WheresMommy

WheresMommy

If you use the paint tool, you need to select a prefab of your tree right? Somewhere in the options? If so, go to your prefabs in your project folder and look at the scale in the Transform Component. Try to change those settings directly in the prefab

6. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

I have the same issue. I have some grass and flowers purchase on the asset store (cartoon nature pack). I was able to resize many of the tree's as they have their own mesh. but the flowers and grass will not resize. They are about 10x bigger then they should be.
    Seems they are created in the tree creator and dont really have their own imported mesh, when I go to the sub-object of the prefab and look at "mesh" it's blank (see picture).

I have tried the following (unsuccessfully).
    1. use the scale tool on the prefab (bottom part of the plant). it looks to scale down fine if I drag and drop into the sence, but once i add it into the terrain tool, its back to normal size.
    2. I tried to break the prefab and do the same as above. same results.
    3. I tried to parent it to an empty game object and resize the game object. added it to the terrain tool, nothing paints at all.
    4. tried to export it to an obj, resize in maya and reimport using fbx. kinda works but things are all sideways and funky looking. not really a solution.

any ideas

Attached Files:

7. vfxjex

vfxjex

8. unity_ArthurAmorim

unity_ArthurAmorim

I found the solution, you need to create a LOD Group in the root of the tree prefab ( no other component to this Game Object ) and in the child using the tree mesh. That's really weird Unity Terrain need all this jazz to work, but at least this works.

c0d3_m0nk3y and siebsie like this.