Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Tree Construction Tools?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by DocSWAB, Oct 5, 2006.

1. boxy

boxy

I like those DocSwab, rerally nice shape, though I'd like to see the foliage close up. Might have to investigate MagicTree. Really like that scene, is it a sneak peak? :)
    Boxy

2. DocSWAB

DocSWAB

We've fixed the branches on the aspen trees. You can see up close underneath by walking under them in the Web Player.

The main issue now is that the branches that are part of the leaf texture aren't shaded like the trunk is. I'm just using the vertex unlit shader on the leaves because the others create really harsh shadows. I'm not sure if I have my sun light source set up right yet, since the shadows are pretty harsh overall.

http://wolfquest.org/demos/Yellowstone_Walkthru.html

Attached Files:

3. boxy

boxy

Look good but those cross billboard branches look a bit stiff up close for my liking and from certain angles its obvious. This is the biggest issue I'm having so far - trying to hide that flat geometry look. But then if you don't feel its an issue then its not :D
    I like the feel of your walkthrough, it all looks good together. Can you give any more info on it or did I miss a post?
    Thanks
    Boxy

4. DocSWAB

DocSWAB

We're not entirely happy with the crossed billboards, either. I realize it's a limitation of having the branches in the billboard and not the mesh. This is about as good as we can get it using this method.

One thing about TreeMagik is that if you don't use the leaf painter and let it place all the leaves for you, and you use their stock branch texture, which has a fan-like spread of branches coming from the trunk, it tends to look OK (but the leaves were much denser than we wanted). The manual leaf placement seems to give these clumps that then means we had to modify the texture to a single branch coming out of the trunk.

You didn't miss anything -- we have just been getting enough stuff together to start telling the world about it. This is the start of a game called WolfQuest. Find out more here: http://www.wolfquest.org

Cheers,
    Steve

5. pete

pete

keep an eye on what i'm doing with blender in the unitree thread. starting to get some cool results and it's pretty easy. i'll be posting a tut maybe next week.

i like the wolf! just for kicks i jumped over the edge and went for a free fall. the background photo fit perfect with the wolf. looked like i was running across the desert! :) [edit: oops! i think i checked it out on my pc laptop last night. crappy gfx card. no grass, no cool water etc. just took another run. looks great!]

6. boxy

boxy

Cool, I'll keep an eye out for the game's (and the tree's) progress.
    Cheers
    Boxy

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That's the result of using a single light source...reality has way more light bouncing around obviously, which you can simulate by bumping up the ambient lighting a lot (but that tends to look too flat) or by using a few fill lights, which is what I do.

--Eric

8. anachreon

anachreon

I don't get it: I buy the seed, I sow the seed and I water the seed - Tree!

Cheers,

Luis.

9. taumel

taumel

Go into a forest, pick up a cone, take it home and put some seeds out of it in the earth and wait... :O)

10. bigkahuna

bigkahuna