Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Tree Billboarding Problems

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by awesome181, Apr 8, 2008.

1. awesome181

awesome181

Is seems that when I have too many trees in a given area, more than about 10000 mass placed trees on a 2000x2000 terrain, a random sampling of trees will not fade from billboard to 3d, regardless of the fade length setting. They just transition instantly, which, needless to say, doesn't look so good.

Is there any way to prevent this? I've tried playing with other terrain settings, and i can't stop it from happening. I'm around 30fps and its still happening.

Thanks!

2. awesome181

awesome181

and if I up the tree placement to 40,000 for my 2000x2000 terrain, every single tree experiences this problem; none of them transition smoothly

3. awesome181

awesome181

so at this point, my best guess is that unity can only handle the billboard fading for so many trees at a time. does that sound right? and if so, is there any way to change that number?

4. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

There is a setting that specifies the maximum number of non-billboarded trees in the terrain settings. You can increase this value if you like.

The reason for it is to ensure framerate never drops too much in very dense populated areas, due to drawing many trees as full meshes. Trees that are furthest away will be popped into non-billboard trees. Usually you would decrease the billboard distance instead to avoid the popping.

5. awesome181

awesome181

thanks! although im looking at the terrain settings and i'm not seeing it.

6. awesome181

awesome181

ok i found the script for it, guess it can't be accessed from the inspector

function Start () {
    Terrain.activeTerrain.treeMaximumFullLODCount = 200;
    }