Search Unity

Tree always pink

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by hannes_unity965, Jan 23, 2020.

1. hannes_unity965

hannes_unity965

Hey

I've tried four different Unity versions with Universal RP, HD RP and LWRP RP.

I start a new project and create a new tree with GameObject > 3D Object > Tree

Every time the tree is always pink from the start..

Any ideas?

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I believe pink is used when the texture is missing or otherwise unavailable. There's lots of threads covering this topic you should be able to find.

3. Mauri

Mauri

4. hannes_unity965

hannes_unity965

Yep, I know that the shader turns pink, when it has an error - I thought it was the correct shader.

Should the Unity tree editor be used or is it deprecated and soon to be removed with the nature/tree creator shaders? Is everyone who is making foliage for Unity paying for a SpeedTree licence?

Using:
    • Unity 2019 latest stable version using HDRP or LWRP
    • Unity 2020 alpha Universal RP
    ..the pink color does not disappear when I change the material to SpeedTree8 and when I use the tree editor - create a new leaf or branch group, or change any of the settings of the current ones, the editor changes the shaders back to "Nature/Tree Creator".

Unity 2020 alpha HDRP has the same problem, but the tree is invisible, instead of pink. The shader slot is pink though.

M_R_M likes this.
  5. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The tree editor is a bit of a relic, afaik it hasn't been touched in the last decade. The URP and HDRP also do not come with a compatible version of the tree creator shaders, in favor of SpeedTree as a superior alternative.

marcospgp and hannes_unity965 like this.
  6. Electro3_Strike

Electro3_Strike

they should definetly fix this

7. Karsten

Karsten

there is a preview package about Terrain which gives a bit hope...
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.terrain-tools@3.0/manual/index.html

Warning: Dont try to work with URP and Terrain Trees I am nearly in a burn out trying frantically to get Terrain going somehow with URP, Unity Technologies seams to be overchallenged , I think they just opened too much barrels at once without having the manpower , Scriptable Render Pipelines , ECS(DOTS), "networking by default", tons of other preview packages ect ect ect, too much at once, to me Unity 2020.x.x seams to be broken in general, you import common assets from the store and they all turn pink, the asset devs of Art Assets (I use only art assets from the store) are speachless when you ask them how to deal with URP. Some provide converter scripts but I didnt found one single that is working proper, even the build in Unity do only half of the work.
    Its very very messy days in Unity these days, Unity was more reliable and better in the past.
    Lets hope for better times

agus_r, niki5432, marcb152 and 2 others like this.
  8. firesightstudios

firesightstudios

Unity 2020.3.32f1 Still pink when adding via 3D menu. No matter which shader under Nature I use still pink.

9. RpgGetter1337

RpgGetter1337

totally same situation, all downloaded trees assets with "Nature" family shaders are pink

10. DirtyFred

DirtyFred

I have the same issue.

Even if i change the material to use any shader, when clicking on the branch or leafs, in the Tree hierarchy, the materials reset and all is pink again

Did someone manage to fix this?

Randallhbarber likes this.
  11. Randallhbarber

Randallhbarber

its unfortunate, the built in tree editor looks like a really great free tool to use.

12. LeeRebar

LeeRebar

It does work on 2022.3.5f1. Use "SpeedTree8" under HDRP/Nature/SpeedTree8 not Nature/SpeedTree8. It looks like you still have to make your own leaf/bark texture.

Edit: Unfortunately it reverts each time something is changed :/