Search Unity

Bug Transport pipeline is wasting sending queue!

Discussion in 'NetCode for ECS' started by BobFlame, Mar 24, 2021.

1. BobFlame

BobFlame

This transport library have driven me mad for a long time. And finally I spent a lot of time to figure out, what is payloadSize, sendingQueueSize, why sending data return -5 or -4.

The INetworkInterface(typically BaselibNetworkInterface) use sendingQueue * payloadSize to create a buffer, when some code call BeginSend, it create a slice from buffer with size = payloadSize, So maximum BeginSend appending should be queueSize.

Here for the fragmente stage. It also need a payloadSize parameter, which is the max data size the stage accept, typically 32 * MTU.

Here comes the funny thing. When you call Driver.EndSend, internally it use a NetworkPipelineProcessor Sending method. It iterate over all stages of the pipeline, for a single fragments stage, it call Driver.Send(without pipeline) 32 times! So your queue will be used 32 times faster.

And you can't set INetworkInterface.payloadSize = MTU and Fragments.payloadSize = 32 * MTU, it's not allowed. It has to be 32 * MTU.

The modification of package is beyond my capability and time. So could anyone give a solution to me?