Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

Translucency and Subsurface Scattering

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by FPires, Aug 24, 2015.

1. FPires

FPires

Hey guys, recently I started working on Translucency Shader since I didn't find any free solution that suited my needs - namely something that reproduced light scattering inside the object, not just view-dependent light transmission based on depth. So I wanted to write a shader that approximated the light propagation inside the object's volume.

I tried to approach the subject in a few different ways. First I wrote a custom raytracer to map the light scattering and produce a volume texture.

Volume3.jpg

It works fine for simple objects but it takes a long time to calculate for complex objects in order to achieve a good result. Still, it was a good starting point.

Volume2.jpg

Then I figured out a way to do it much faster while still retaining most of the quality. It still requires a custom pre-calculation (which unfortunately cannot be done externally on xNormal for example) which I'm trying to improve, but I'm very pleased with the results so far.

TranslucencyShader_Base.jpg

Here's a bit of an extreme example, a cylinder with a directional light at noon. There's no light falloff, no light hitting at the sides and the top of the cylinder normals aren't "smoothed".

TranslucencyCylinderTop.jpg

Last but not least, some nice transparency with a volumetric feel:

Translucency_Transparent.jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    Aniow, buttmatrix, antislash and 10 others like this.
  2. chingwa

chingwa

That's the most beautiful green booger I've ever seen. :)
    Does it have to pre-calculate everytime the light direction changes?

SAOTA and theANMATOR2b like this.
  3. looki666

looki666

Awsome !!!!!!!! Almost Renderman Quality .:)

4. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

Very nice. I've wanted to work with translucency shaders, but haven't had time. I could use one for some of the current stuff I'm doing for my game Aeronautica.

5. FPires

FPires

It does look pretty disgusting, right? I modeled something abstract with all the shapes I wanted to test in one model. It ended up looking like that.

As for your question - No, you can change light at run-time without problem. It's not static lighting.

chingwa likes this.
  6. papibeast

papibeast

Great work!
    Will you be releasing this shader on the Asset Store?

7. TheGraficalOne

TheGraficalOne

This is Gorgeous!!

8. FPires

FPires

Thanks!

I'm not sure yet. They're probably not very friendly with mobile devices and what not, but at least they work with both Forward and Deferred cameras.The problem is that these shaders require some setup, they're not plug-and-play. I'm trying to automate it and make it as simple as possible.

9. krisoll

krisoll

Whoa, it looks awesome

10. FPires

FPires

Here's an exaggerated translucency and scattering applied to a sculpture. Figured it'd show the effect better.

Translucency_wax.jpg

11. Licarell

Licarell

I guess you could use this as a skin shader as well?

12. Haagndaaz

Haagndaaz

This looks amazing!

13. FPires

FPires

Thanks!

Probably. I've added a few things that could help achieve that effect like a subdermal map, though I haven't done a lot of testing yet.

I've been working on transparency today, made a nice transition from clear to blurred transparency based on depth.

Translucency_Transparent2.jpg

I think I've solved the traditional issues with z-writing and depth but I haven't started working on it yet. Hopefully it will work.

antislash, larku and Haagndaaz like this.
  14. SAOTA

SAOTA

amaze. I was re-watching Jurassic World earlier this week and
    when Chris Prat is first chased by the Indominus Rex, the dino bends down and you can see the flesh stuck on the INSIDE of the teeth, WOW, whoever spent time on that awesome ,
    my jaw drops with some good Sub Surface Scattering.

15. Schneider21

Schneider21

Good God this is so delicious. I've yet to dive into shaders, but this really makes me want to, now.

Beautiful work. And please consider releasing to Asset store. :D

16. TheGraficalOne

TheGraficalOne

I started to get into shaders a while back, but gave up. This is definitely make me want to give it another try.:)

17. TheGraficalOne

TheGraficalOne

Were you making these shaders for a specific project, or were you just experimenting?

18. FPires

FPires

I'll work on cleaning the code next week and see how it goes, but no promises. If I feel confident that I can deliver something stable and intuitive I'll publish it.

No specific project but the lack of subsurface scattering shaders in general is something that has bothered me for some years now.

Here's something a bit caramel-like.

Translucency_caramel.jpg

ThunderTruck, SAOTA, larku and 3 others like this.
  19. FPires

FPires

I'm in the process of rewriting the shader, which due to my limited spare time might take a while, so no time frame. Basically learning the new stuff that came in 5.0 and how to integrate it. I also hit a bit of a brick wall trying to make one of the variants energy-conserving.

I think no current asset uses the same method that I do, so I've decided that I'll release it on the Asset Store when I'm done. Again, I can't promise on a time frame, but if I feel like this is gonna take longer than it should I'll release the simpler version used in the first post (the green thing) for a reasonable price.

20. antislash

antislash

amazing, do you compute a thickness map?

21. FPires

FPires

I do compute something similar to a thickness map first, but the final shader uses a different custom map. The problem with a thickness map is that the final result works fine as translucency, but doesn't typically produce the actual scattering effect like the one in the cylinder image in the first post, at least not in any algorithm I know.

22. antislash

antislash

if you get it working it will be awesome

23. Fenixake

Fenixake

this is the most awesome thing i found this year GJ!

24. NikProductions

NikProductions

Any updates on this, it's amazing! Also are you going to release it for free, or payed?

25. antislash

antislash

i dream of a foliage shader with that SSS and shadows

26. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

Any updates regarding the shader? I've been hunting for a good SSS shader for a while now, and this looks really promising!

27. rfcrocha

rfcrocha

good stuff man, this looks really good indeed. Will keep an eye on this.

28. looki666

looki666

Update ?

29. FPires

FPires

Posted the basic shader here. Both the shader and the script used are free.

I'll update it with more shaders as soon as I find more time, sorry about the huge delay, had a turbulent last year. Hope the current shader is useful.