Search Unity

Transition and state machines

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by edpulis, Apr 10, 2014.

1. edpulis

edpulis

Hi guys,

Im no expect coder but Ineed some guidance here. Whether this is the best thread to ask this question, I'm not sure but here goes.

We have a scenerio in our game we are developing at the minute where we want an animation to transition to a state machine where the player takes over. This is pretty much exists in all platformers. Example I know is Streets of Rage where the character enters the environment.

Watching digital tutors and looking at some other sites I've managed to get 'idle' and 'run' machines working but its the transition from a clip of animation to this which is proving to be a pain.

Any tips or teachings very much welcome, hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks,

Ed.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

You want to take advantage of mecanim, it goes through blend states. A bit of a long tutorial on it, but it's more than worth it :)..

3. edpulis

edpulis

Thanks Shadow K for getting back to me. This video mainly deal with 3D elements?

I've been using Mecanim to get the transitions working. The problem arises when I connect the initial animation to idle state, that idle state can no translate once the game is in motion.