Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

Transform your Unity editor into a multiplayer IDE using the free uCollab plugin

Discussion in 'Connected Games' started by david.almroth, Oct 6, 2011.

1. david.almroth

david.almroth

Multiplayer development in the Unity editor is often hard and time consuming. Many developers have discovered that it takes a lot of time to build, run and test multiplayer games. The fact is that the Unity editor has very limited support for this development scenario.

This is where uCollab enters the stage. It is small and free, yet very powerful. It has already saved tons of time for our team and several happy customers. We who made uCollab are also responsible for uLink, a network engine for Unity.

When using the uCollab plugin you run your game server in one Unity editor and the game client in another Unity editor. The plugin keeps assets and editor settings completely synchronized between the two. Make changes in the master editor and they will be synchronized to the slave editor(s), instantly.

For example, run a client in one editor, a game server in a second editor and another client in a third editor. They will all be synchronized by uCollab. The best part is that all the normal Unity editor tools are available; profiler, clickable console messages, Scene view, Game view, the possibility to view and change any public properties during playmode, and so on.

With this simple and free tool you actually get a completely distributed test environment. It is possible to synchronize as many editors as needed, one master and several slaves.

Any Unity multiplayer developer can now be equipped with a distributed test tool. Who can resist to try it?

Download .unitypackage
    Comprehensive manual
    Product web page
    Support forum (the forum for all Unitypark products)

Requirements
    This uCollab Alpha release requires Windows and Unity Pro (but will support both Mac and Unity Free when finished).
    uCollab works just fine with all network engines that are available for Unity. uLink is not required, but recommended. :)

uLink Indie offer

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  2. Robbilie2

Robbilie2

this tool works like a charm, im nit using it with uLink but with smartfoxserver and it works so nice :)

Havent tested syncing over network (is it already possible?)

Thumbs up ;)

Greetz
    /Robert ;)

3. Christian_Lonnholm

Christian_Lonnholm

Hi Robert,

No, it does not work over the network yet. We understood that even though our uCollab is in a very early stage of its development, it still is very useful. So we wanted to put it into the hands of developers such as yourself as soon as possible. In uLink, we have built in support for extensive network emulation that do help. For others, I am afraid that you will have to wait for our future version of uCollab.

Thank you for trying it with Smartfox!

Kindly,
    Christian

4. david.almroth

david.almroth

The alpha version can synchronize changes over a local network. Just turn on file sharing for the master project in Windows and then you can run run slave editors on any number of machines in a LAN.

5. Robbilie2

Robbilie2

By file sharing u mean sharing via windows on lan..?

I use this (atm just started today xD) to make use of two clients without having to build always...
    Also beacause i have massive backup problems that made me have haedaches...

I think git or subversion may help me right?

May u make a little guide for setting either subversion or git (depends on which is better...) up qnd make it run with ucollab?

And will this awesome community friendly tool be kept free?

Probably not heh? :(

I will have to stay with the free alpha then xD

Greetings for u guys ;)
    Great job ;)

6. david.almroth

david.almroth

Yes, windows file sharing.

If you want an external version control system, use Subversion or Git to store your changes when working in the "master project".
    Here is the Unity manual for doing that.

Never commit any changes from the slave editor(s). You can read more details about uCollab in the manual.

7. david.almroth

david.almroth

8. david.almroth

david.almroth

uCollab is now updated in the Asset store.

Changes:

- Support for Unity 3.5, including the Unity 3.5 free edition.

- Ten times faster reimport button. Makes uCollab handle very large Unity projects.

- File synchronizations is activated automatically after import and reimport. This makes it easier to use uCollab by reducing the risk of getting a slave "out of sync".

- Checkbox to start file synchronization directly when the uCollab window is openend. This is a nice feature if you have to restart the slave editor. (thanks to Domagoj Baronica)

- Fixed two bugs consering temporarty files created by Subversion and Visual Studio 2008.

- Status message with color. Green is sync running. Red is a warning. Yellow is import running.

- Fixed Unity editor crasch bug with "Fatal error in gc: too many threads"

- Reduced CPU usage

9. adaptive

adaptive

Is uCollab still avaiable?

It sounds great, but I can't find the actual download link for uCollab, only, ultimately, to the general download page here:
    http://muchdifferent.com/?page=game-download

Can I get a direct link please?

Thanks!

10. brianbraatz

brianbraatz

I THINK this is broken- I had the same problems in trying to get this working and then I found this on their forums:
    http://forum.muchdifferent.com/unitypark/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/1952#Comment_1952

"""""""""""
    christian January 24
    Hi chilly!

We have been working on a major rewrite of uCollab but lately, we have prioritized the development of what we believe to be stunning improvements of uLink and the general development environment for the UnityPark Suite. However, we are very eager to proceed with our plans for uCollab as we know how useful it is. If you are interested in joining up to be a beta user of the next version of uCollab, please e-mail me at christian.lonnholm (at) muchdifferent.com, I 'd be happy to add you as an early bird. As usual, it is hard to determine when this will happen. But thank you for your patience.
    """"""""

Any body know what the last version of Unity uCollab worked with?

11. brianbraatz

brianbraatz

Sorry - didnt quote the most important part from that page:

"Petter Hansson March 11
    uCollab has a tendency to break at the moment and the present issues are so bad that we decided to take down the current release. Trust me, I really tried to use uCollab even on internal projects here but it's simply not workable right now."

12. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

Dear multiplayer game developers, If you want to be able to run multiple editors with the same project, use this free and easy way instead of uCollab for now http://nooparmy.com/index.php/produ...iple-editors-for-multiplayer-development.html uCollab should return with more features and in a better shape. Disclaimer i'm not working at MuchDifferent and don't know what exactly will happen to their products. Hope this helps atm and Thanks Petter Hansson for finding it.