Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

transform.rotate/rotation?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by MikeC, Oct 14, 2006.

1. MikeC

MikeC

Hi all!

I've got my character, and a trigger. The trigger triggers an animation and sets the position before and after the animation. However, the triggered animation is rotation sensitive and I could really do with getting the trigger to alter the rotation of the character too.

For the position I just used:

Code (csharp):
    1. transform.position = Vector3(-113, 43, 462);
    So I figured something similar would apply:

Code (csharp):
    1. transform.rotation = Vector3(-0, 150, -0);
    But it doesn't like it! I checked the docs and it's going on about eulers and quaternions and I just don't understand it this late on a saturday night ;)

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
    Mike

2. Marble

Marble

Maybe
    Code (csharp):
    1. transform.eulerAngles = Vector3(-0, 150, -0);
    ?

3. nafonso

nafonso

Quaternions are not an easy concept to understand. Basically you need to abstract yourself from them. You need to know that a Quaternion is another way to represent a rotation, but unlike euler angles which are in 3 dimensional space, Quaterions are represented on 4 dimensional space (so it's not possible to imagine a rotation on Quaternion - at least not for me!).

You can see in the following link how a rotation in euler angles is transformed into a Quaternion (q0, q1, q2 and q3 formulas)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_between_quaternions_and_Euler_angles.

If you had some math, you probably learned Complex Numbers, where square root of -1 is 'i'. On Quaternions you have the same, but with 'i', 'j', and 'k' (i.e. like an extension of Complex Space).

Quaternions are important because they eliminate a rotation problem that euler angles have (if you rotate 90º around an axis, you loose a degree of freedom, so when you apply another rotation you will get some "odd" rotations).

4. MikeC

MikeC

Thanks for the info, guys! I'll see what I can do.

Mike

5. StarManta

StarManta

Given how few people understand quaternions (I've always been good at math, and I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around them), could there be some constants and/or more easily understood constructors for them?

For example, a constructor that is passed a single Vector3 could make it face that vector and assume that up = up. This would make easy statements like facing = Quaternion(Vector3.left);

In the meantime, could someone be so kind as to post the xyzw constructor values for some of the easy quaternions (like forward, backward, left, right)?

6. freyr

freyr

Did you take a look at LookRotation in the Quaternion documentation?

Your example above would then become
    Code (csharp):
    1. facing = Quaternion.LookRotation(Vector3.left);

7. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

8. StarManta

StarManta

Thanks, I missed those!

Still... would have seen them if they were constructors. ;-)

9. freyr

freyr

The problem with constructors vs. static functions is that you can not tell from the constructor name what it will do with the inputs. Should a constructor that takes two Vector3s as parameters treat them as a direction and a world-up vector like Quaternion.LookRotation does or should it treat it as a from and to vector pair like Quaternion.FromToRotation does? The same applies to a constructor that takes a single Vector3. Should it treat is as Quaternion.Euler does or should it do the same as the single-parameter version of Quaternion.LookRotation?