Search Unity

Transform in Avatar Mask

Discussion in 'Animation' started by justtime, Apr 21, 2016.

1. justtime

justtime

Is transform of avatar mask working only for human?
    It is very strange cause i really need this functional for human, not for generic only.

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Yes - it works for humanoid rigs.

3. justtime

justtime

May be you have simple project when with it ? Or desrcibe setup process ? Couse i can't get it works. Seems like transform mask works only for not-humanoid bones.

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

5. justtime

justtime

I've seen it. And transform mask works only for extra(non humanoid) bones. It is not working for regular humanoid bones

6. menof36go

menof36go

I am having exactly the same problem!
    I have no clue why Mecanim doesnt allow you to just use the transform mask on a humanoid rig.
    Atleast give us more body parts in the body mask for humanoid rigs, Mecanim, please :(

I am really disappointed, it seems like you have to choose between being able to retarget animations OR having good avatar masks. Thats pretty awful, since I need both.

7. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Transform mask works on extra bones and humanoid mask works on humanoid bones. This is by design.
    So what are you trying to accomplish that setting up a humanoid mask for humanoid bones and transform mask for non-humanoid bones does not allow?

Because the extra bones parented to the humanoid rig are hinderances to being able to retarget humanoid animations.
    The transform mask is actually a benefit - to allow retargeting on the base humanoid with the extra bones masked.
    Without this the extra bones would cause a retarget to fail.
    What are you trying to accomplish that setting up a humanoid mask for humanoid bones and transform mask for non-humanoid bones does not allow?

8. menof36go

menof36go

Lets say I'd like to mask only half of my arm (upperarm for example), how can I do this if the body mask only allows rough masking of the entire arm?

kanyvr1701 likes this.
  9. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Masking the upper arm 'in-between' bone doesn't seem to be an option within the interface. It might be available in code - but not the interface - unless I'm overlooking it. Why would this even be a request?
    It's like masking the upper leg but leaving the rest of the leg in the base rig.
    Really If you mask the upper arm - for retargeting - why would the mask not include the lower arm also - which is driven by the location of the end of the upper arm.
    What kind of animation would only control the upper arm and not the lower arm?

What would masking a upper arm bone accomplish? Keeping the lower arm and the body on one layer and masking the upper arm - which is connected to the shoulder and the elbow - what purpose would keeping the lower arm in the base rig do?
    Since the upper arm is connected to the shoulder and the elbow - it's a rigid bone at that point - connected to two positions in space that are driven by the rest of the rig. So either the lower arm is included in that mask - which would be a humanoid mask - or it's simply some logic that isn't needed.
    What does masking a 'in-between' bone allow? it isn't a solution to any type of animation retargeting. The upper arm would still animate based on the shoulder and the elbow positions.

There is most likely an alternative solution which is more logical than attempting to mask the upper arm.

10. TSC_Lindy

TSC_Lindy

Unity, please give us the ability to add custom bones checkboxes to a Humanoid Avatar Mask.

toyhunter, DChap and kanyvr1701 like this.
  11. acidjazzed

acidjazzed

Yes we were looking for this feature too. Specifically for masking out pelvic bone separate from the legs (sitting characters).

DChap likes this.
  12. Baste

Baste

Last I checked masking transforms works for humanoid characters. I'm not sure if you can mask both the human bones and the transforms, but if you're playing a retargeted animation on a model, and you're using a transform avatar mask that targets the bones of the model, the animation only plays on the bones marked in the transform mask.

... as far as I remember.

13. DChap

DChap

Are you sure this works? I've been having trouble.

Our project is using the Humanoid rig system, yet I have an animation layer where I need to mask specific bones. The Unity Humanoid paperdoll method in the Avatar mask isn't precise enough.

I can import a skeleton and tick the boxes in the Transform section, however Unity seems to ignore whatever boxes I'm ticking down there and only acknowledges what parts of the Humanoid paperdoll are set to green.

Are we stuck with the simple masking method for Humanoid rigs, or am I doing something wrong?

14. Baste

Baste

We're using this mask on a humanoid rig:

upload_2020-5-7_9-12-9.png

That's for a "face" layer that we use to modify the face details to match the character's emotions. So that does work.

Note that all the bones I'm masking are not humanoid bones. The humanoid section of the same mask looks like this:

upload_2020-5-7_9-14-14.png

I'm not sure if it's possible to mask out the humanoid section and then bring back the humanoid bones with the transform mask.

DChap likes this.
  15. DChap

DChap

Ah ok that makes sense, thanks!

Yeah it seems like that last part (Masking out Humanoid bones and bringing them back with the Transform mask) is the part that's not possible.